Downtube shifter - What do you think?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TimT

by TimT

Down tube shifters rule.
I think they have more class then the intergrated ones

Tim

Knut

by Knut

TimT wrote:Down tube shifters rule.

That's a pretty broad statement. Yes, they're lighter and you have the ability to trim the FD, but that's about it isn't it?

Integrated shifters be it Ergo or STI are faster and safer IMO, I certainly like that fact that I dont have to move my hands from the bar to shift. :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KB

by KB

col hicks wrote:my shifter bust on my winter bike , so until i got some new ones i put a downtube shifter on , took some getting used to , very quickly replaced it with some new s.t.i s , much better
Exactly, I would never go back to downtube shifters. Yes, they save weight, but to me it's a backward step. Clipless pedals and STI's are the best inventions of the last 30 years in bikes.

FelixOr

by FelixOr

thx for your opinions. But don't forget we are only talking the left STI/Ergopower. The one for the rear derailleur will stay as it its!

mises

by mises

I think indexed downtube shifters shift better than ergo/sti but because of the location you tend not to use them as much so gearing isn't continually optimized, and it does take attention away from the road and hands off bars.

But for the left/f der one that's not much of a factor so there's really no downside to me. I am even thinking about having just a left side shifter boss put on my next frame.