DA9170 configuration options

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dorin

by dorin

Hi there, I can’t find a manual describing what I’m after hence asking here: can I set the DA9170 to behave like eTap but with syncshift enabled? In other words, right shifter goes in harder gear (regardless of what button is used on it) and left one goes in easier gear but with syncshift on to avoid accidental crosschain as I’ll be using a 32 cassette.

I’m looking into using it with a sram 11-32 due to weight and need of having a 32, in addition will hack the SW-R600 to take the sram’s blips (on the end of aerobars) and clicks (on handlebar).

As I’m ordering the new bike (BMC TimeMachine Road01 module) need to decide between the group sets (DA9170 and eTap AXS), each has its own strengths and minuses, is just so difficult to chose between the two, having a 32 is a must, 33 maybe better, one is heavier one is lighter, one is newer one is bomb-proofed, one has uglier hoods the other uglier crankset...even considered a crossbreed (da9170 w sram 11-32 and quarq)...

Most importantly I’d like to understand if I can configure the DA like Sram but with SyncShift to avoid crosschain at all costs...

Cheers,
Dorin

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Building a super bike :D
I would go AXS, so curious i could not go Shimano. That would never satisfy my curiousity of AXS.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

dorin

by dorin

wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:13 am
Building a super bike :D
I would go AXS, so curious i could not go Shimano. That would never satisfy my curiousity of AXS.
It may be a rather expensive curiosity ;) in the end adds up to esthetics (the axs hoods are super ugly) vs reliability of using a cassette the manufacturer does not recommend...

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I noticed the hoods on AXS and i agree. You mean the 10 tooth sprocket on the cassette?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

The AXS hoods are a non-starter for me...

DuraAce crankset is ugly sure... but AXS is no looker either.. infact in real life it's quite ugly. The rear deraillier is ugly too on AXS. I've used SRAM cassette exclusively on DA for years now.. no issues.

Congrats on the BMC.. I'm currently building my BMC TM01R but using THM cranks.. mostly a 9150 DA build with 11-30 SRAM Red cassette.. I have an 11-32 also.

yes you can configure the buttons as you wish (except for the simu thing).. I've not tried with the bluetooth app but with PC diagonistics it was cake... I dont use syncroshift (set to off)
my other bikes were fine in BIG/BIG.. I never small small anyways.
Last edited by spdntrxi on Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

ms6073

by ms6073

dorin wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:57 am
Most importantly I’d like to understand if I can configure the DA like Sram but with SyncShift to avoid crosschain at all costs...
Shimano PCE-1 and E-Tube software allows the user to configure the actions of shift levers and remote shifting switches as many have re-programmed levers to act like SRAM E-tap. E-tube also allows the user to enable di2 synchro shift but it has to then be 'activated' on the bike with the Junction A. With syncro shift enabled, the only issue might be cross-over points as syncro shift will do its best to prevent cross chaining, but this is dependent on which chainrings and cassette are installed, as E-tube only supports the combinations that Shimano markets.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Cemicar

by Cemicar

I once went with eTap-esque configuration for my Di2, but felt like it wasn't really as intuitive and fun as eTap. After all, Di2 doesn't support simultaneously pressing, nor can any button serve as a toggle switch, which may let you down. I'm also not really a big fan of having two buttons inside one lever. Campagnolo and Sram are still ahead of Shimano in this field.

Otherwise Di2 is better in pretty much every attributes though.

dricked

by dricked

You can shift the front and rear simultaneously.

I’ve setup my levers so the front buttons work the front derailleur and the rear buttons the rear derailleur. I find it very easy to use and remember which button does without issue. It’s only been a couple short rides and I’m very happy with this configuration

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

dricked wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:03 pm

I’ve setup my levers so the front buttons work the front derailleur and the rear buttons the rear derailleur. I find it very easy to use and remember which button does without issue. It’s only been a couple short rides and I’m very happy with this configuration

I could be wrong but I think ppl might be talking about on eTap and AXS..when you press both levers simultanously... that shift the FD only... not sure you can setup Di2 to do that ? Have not even thought about it.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

dricked

by dricked

Oh, ya you can’t do that.

sychen

by sychen

One way you can set it up..

Both set left and right buttons assigned to same task.. Aka shift up or down on the cassette(Rd) only.

Assign the buttons in top of the hoods for the front derailleur. It might not be etap but close enough with di2.

This sort of solves one issue with di2 of hitting the wrong buttons.. Especially when over rough roads or when gassed.
Yes campagnolo and Sram ergo have much better ergonomics avoiding this type of issue.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

dorin

by dorin

spdntrxi wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:07 pm
dricked wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:03 pm

I could be wrong but I think ppl might be talking about on eTap and AXS..when you press both levers simultanously... that shift the FD only... not sure you can setup Di2 to do that ? Have not even thought about it.
The whole idea of sync shifting would be the eliminate the need to control the FD. As when you get close the a cross chain then it shifts FD and RD automatically (at least this is how I understood it from YouTube videos). I’m trying to avoid those situation when without realizing you’re in cross chain, yes I know is no-no but it happens from time to time, esp when climbing. As i plan to use a 11-32 when the TD is not meant to take more than 11-30 want to avoid damage to RD.

dorin

by dorin

sychen wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:40 pm
One way you can set it up..

Both set left and right buttons assigned to same task.. Aka shift up or down on the cassette(Rd) only.

Assign the buttons in top of the hoods for the front derailleur. It might not be etap but close enough with di2.
Thanks! That’s what I wanted to se if possible, in addition if sync shift is enabled this will prevent accidental cross-chain

dorin

by dorin

ms6073 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:24 pm
dorin wrote:
Shimano PCE-1 and E-Tube software allows the user to configure the actions of shift levers and remote shifting switches as many have re-programmed levers to act like SRAM E-tap. E-tube also allows the user to enable di2 synchro shift but it has to then be 'activated' on the bike with the Junction A. With syncro shift enabled, the only issue might be cross-over points as syncro shift will do its best to prevent cross chaining, but this is dependent on which chainrings and cassette are installed, as E-tube only supports the combinations that Shimano markets.
Thanks! As I can’t play with the e-tube without having an actual da hardware pls excuse my questions :)
If I set in app the cassette is 11-30 (when in reality will be 11-32) is not much of a difference, plus, doesn’t the RD work by position set in its servo travel rather than tension? Would make no sense to have a sensor measuring the tension of the cage and then use that to talk to the servo...

But I never had DA (only etap) so no idea...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheRich

by TheRich

dorin wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:53 pm
ms6073 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:24 pm
dorin wrote:
Thanks! As I can’t play with the e-tube without having an actual da hardware pls excuse my questions :)
If I set in app the cassette is 11-30 (when in reality will be 11-32) is not much of a difference, plus, doesn’t the RD work by position set in its servo travel rather than tension? Would make no sense to have a sensor measuring the tension of the cage and then use that to talk to the servo...

But I never had DA (only etap) so no idea...
Why wouldn't you be able to configure it with a 32t cassette?

You can set the bike up in any way that works good enough for you, that the system doesn't know the actual tooth number of the chainring or cog you're actually using doesn't matter. Synchro shift is customizable as well. (I just use it as a failsafe, as it is a little annoying if you aren't paying attention)