Speedplay - Slop

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ms6073

by ms6073

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:47 pm
Get yourself some +4mm Dura Ace pedals and you'll be happy.
What exactly are +4mm Dura Ace pedals, do you know something we don't? :beerchug:
My experience is that shoe rotation/release angles for SPD SL pedals are a factor of which type of cleat (Red, Blue, or Yellow) and to some extent the amount of release tension that is being used. I would love to get my wife on DA or possibly Look Keo Max pedals as she is a long time SP Zero user and I have to modify her cleats and Dremel the rotation adjustment screws each time I get her new cleats.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

ms6073 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:32 pm
BdaGhisallo wrote:
What exactly are +4mm Dura Ace pedals, do you know something we don't? :beerchug:
My experience is that shoe rotation/release angles for SPD SL pedals are a factor of which type of cleat (Red, Blue, or Yellow) and to some extent the amount of release tension that is being used. I would love to get my wife on DA or possibly Look Keo Max pedals as she is a long time SP Zero user and I have to modify her cleats and Dremel the rotation adjustment screws each time I get her new cleats.
They are the DA pedals with the axles that are 4mm longer than the standard, putting the center of the pedal 56mm out from the face of the crankarm, versus the 52mm of the standard length DA pedals. The OP mentioned that he used SPlay Zeros with 56mm axles.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boots2000

by boots2000

I experimented with Speedplay Zero some years ago- Quickly developed the rock that you mention.

Fast forward to today- About 2-3 months ago I decided to try Speedplay again- I bought a set of cromoly Zeros with the new style cleats- Replaced the spindles with aftermarket J&L titanium spindles.
I have none of the rocking motion. The new cleats must work. I do notice that they are a bit more difficult during entry than the old ones- But no rock.

otoman

by otoman

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:36 am

Or you could just upgrade to Dura Ace pedals and live forever happily Image
I just did exactly this. I got tired of the pedal bodies wearing out and the fragility of the cleats.
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

Bondurant

by Bondurant

Not cheap but I got myself some of the Paves to get rid of the nylon wear issue.

ipaul

by ipaul

Excel Sports has the replacement bodies in both standard and ti zeros.

https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?pa ... =5&minor=6
:P

willmac

by willmac

otoman wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:18 pm
pdlpsher1 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:36 am

Or you could just upgrade to Dura Ace pedals and live forever happily Image
I just did exactly this. I got tired of the pedal bodies wearing out and the fragility of the cleats.
Can’t like this enough. 5 years of speedplays and finally gave up and moved back to Shimano. Best thing I ever did

Darceking

by Darceking

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Darceking wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:10 am
Just checked all the big online retailers. Merlin, CR, WIggle, Bike Bug etc and no one sells just the body. Need to buy a whole new pedal . Which is not idea because I use the 56mm Spindles, not the standard 52.
Yep - thats what I did :) Thanks heaps guys

NickJHP

by NickJHP

Darceking wrote:
Just checked all the big online retailers. Merlin, CR, WIggle, Bike Bug etc and no one sells just the body. Need to buy a whole new pedal . Which is not idea because I use the 56mm Spindles, not the standard 52.
You could buy a new pedal and swap in your existing spindles...

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

NickJHP wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:53 pm
Darceking wrote:
Yeah, with the way Speedplay does their pricing, it really does make sense to just buy a full set of Zero cro-mos, and swap in the longer spindles. When you consider they come with cleats, extra hardware, etc..., it is usually the more economical choice.

SuperflyRick

by SuperflyRick

TheKaiser wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:47 pm
NickJHP wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:53 pm
Darceking wrote:
Yeah, with the way Speedplay does their pricing, it really does make sense to just buy a full set of Zero cro-mos, and swap in the longer spindles. When you consider they come with cleats, extra hardware, etc..., it is usually the more economical choice.
I always do the above