Speedplay - Slop

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Darceking

by Darceking

I have been using Speedplay for about 4 years now, never had a great deal of problems with them. Recently I have been getting alot of tightness up the left side of my leg starting from the ankle, muscle on the outside of the shin is tight and quad is locking up. WHen I pedal, it feels like my foot wants to roll outwards. I have attached a link to the amount of play in cleat / pedal. These cleats are new ( 5 months old ) . Pedals are about 3 years old.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

This is due to the pedal body being worn around the edge. You can maybe buy new pedal bodies from SP. They will come with bearings already pressed in. You just remove the old bodies and slip the new ones onto your spindles.

Or you could just upgrade to Dura Ace pedals and live forever happily

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darceking

by Darceking

So you think its the body of the pedal thats worn ? I thought maybe I had bent the cleats and that was causing the slop.

I have actually purchased DA9100 pedals yesterday as I am just sick of the up keep of the Speedplay and this problem pushed me over the edge. Maybe I should have just got new bodies for them instead. Hopfully DA Pedals make me happy :)

Darceking

by Darceking

Just checked all the big online retailers. Merlin, CR, WIggle, Bike Bug etc and no one sells just the body. Need to buy a whole new pedal . Which is not idea because I use the 56mm Spindles, not the standard 52.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

I actually had this problem before but not to this level.
After changing the pedal body, it is as good as new.

PS. how do you guys deal with rust on the cleats? The main reason i moved back to dura-ace pedals is the cleats are so prone to getting rust. Or is it just the issue on Walkable cleats version and not on the normal version?

bilwit

by bilwit

couldn't you just replace the bowties on the pedal?

Darceking

by Darceking

I have never had a rust issue, and I live on the coast also.

bilwit - I just checked online and I can't seem to find just the body for sale ? Seems like I have to buy an entire pedal

BigPoser

by BigPoser

I have 3 bikes that all have Speedplays. I have noticed this same thing happening on one of my bikes with the oldest pedals. Definitely not going to buy 3 sets of other pedals. Looks like I'll be getting one set if I can't find the bodies.

bilwit

by bilwit

Darceking wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:36 am
I have never had a rust issue, and I live on the coast also.

bilwit - I just checked online and I can't seem to find just the body for sale ? Seems like I have to buy an entire pedal
aftermarket/3rd party like J&L or Toronto Cycles (note that Ti replacements like these will wear down faster though)

http://www.torontocycles.com/Selling/Pe ... ories.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/J-L-Titanium-T ... 1438.l2649

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

It's not the metal bowties that are worn but the nylon body. A few years ago I got the replacement bodies directly from SP. Given them a call and perhaps they can tell you where to get them.

But now that you have Dura Ace enjoy them! With Dura Ace you never have to grease them or take them apart. I took mine apart after 10,000 miles but found the grease to be new-looking, still green and transluscent. So I just put everything back without changing out the grease.

probertsqbe

by probertsqbe

Unfortunately as everyone else has commented this is a common issue for Speedplay owners.

I’ve got Speedplay Zero next pedals installed on all of my three bikes and when they need replacing, which is usually the nylon body. I purchase the cheaper chromoly pedals and then replace the spindles with Titanium ones which are much lighter ( this is weightweenies after all) and much cheaper than the Speedplay Zero titanium pedals.

jaypee

by jaypee

Code: Select all

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Speedplay/Zero-Pedal-Body-p19101/
I ran with zeros for years and it is a good system. It's just that the rate of wear means it doesn't last very long and in some cases this has barely been out of the box.
The adjustability and ease of entry might make this the right option for some, it's just difficult to get past the bombproof build of dura ace and the fact that the cleats are about the 1/4 of the price of zeros.

rainerhq

by rainerhq

I have two pairs of shoes. One with the older cleats (weared also) and the other with the walkable cleats which have about one summer of use.
With the older cleats I get the same movement as in your video, but the newer are solid. Only the float.
Have been used these pedals about three seasons.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

nickf

by nickf

probertsqbe wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:12 am
Unfortunately as everyone else has commented this is a common issue for Speedplay owners.

I’ve got Speedplay Zero next pedals installed on all of my three bikes and when they need replacing, which is usually the nylon body. I purchase the cheaper chromoly pedals and then replace the spindles with Titanium ones which are much lighter ( this is weightweenies after all) and much cheaper than the Speedplay Zero titanium pedals.
This exactly. Go get some cheap chromoly ones and remove the body. Unfornutaly the pedal body does wear. I make it a habit to wipe the pedal bodies down and clean/lube inside the cleats.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Darceking wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:10 am
Just checked all the big online retailers. Merlin, CR, WIggle, Bike Bug etc and no one sells just the body. Need to buy a whole new pedal . Which is not idea because I use the 56mm Spindles, not the standard 52.
Get yourself some +4mm Dura Ace pedals and you'll be happy.