Etap front deraillier tuning

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

So my etap needs a bit of a tune i presume as shifting from the small to the big ring (compact) for anything larger than thr 5th cog results in the big ring not taking the chain.

Thoughts?

jih

by jih

Either the angle or the limit screws. Like any other front mech, but they can be quite fussy on getting them set up just so.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Verified my limit screws and they look good. Must be the angle

photek

by photek

Check height (or vertical position) of the mech as well. I'm also playing the etap front mech game at the moment, takes a while to get it perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2019 Trek Emonda SLR, SRAM eTap groupset, eeBrakes G4, Berk Lupina Saddle, TUNE Schwarzbrenner 60mm wheelset - 6.4 kg

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

photek wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:00 am
Check height (or vertical position) of the mech as well. I'm also playing the etap front mech game at the moment, takes a while to get it perfect.

Vertical height is closer to 4mm vs 1mm ideal.

Are there any good visual diy’s for this process? I am at the point where i need to become the pro at these adjustments.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

RocketRacing wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:15 pm
photek wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:00 am

Vertical height is closer to 4mm vs 1mm ideal.

Are there any good visual diy’s for this process? I am at the point where i need to become the pro at these adjustments.
The perfect height of the front derailleur for me is tip of tallest teeth aligned with the 'bottom edge' of the height guide mark, not just anywhere within that mark as SRAM says. Or... you see the outer plate of the front derailleur's cage has a little 90° bent section at the front? At the right height, this just clears the chain when in the big-big combo, the chain should be quite close but never rub it...

The angle guides are pretty good and the High limit needs to be quite close, just enough so the chain doesn't rub the cage in big ring and smallest cog combo. Right height, angle and limits perhaps need to be set with more precision than other transmission but once set, I found the front mech shifts just as well as Di2 and wont drop chains as some people have complained about.
Last edited by Dan Gerous on Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

There is a huge multi-page thread somewhere on this exact topic. Lots of members took a lot of time to offer really good advice.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com