Bottom Bracket

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

Dear all, I have a 2012 Merida Scultura which has some 105 (10 speed) bits. I recently got hold of a set of SRAM Force 22. As far as i can tell the bike has a threaded bottom bracket (review says: "The frame uses a regular screw fit BB"), any idea if the crank will fit? (im quite new to SRAM stuff, i think there are two different designs? BB30 vs GXP? any idea how i can tell?) Many thanks.
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

1415chris

by 1415chris

If spindle appearance doesn't tell you anything, just measure it's diameter. BB30 has 30mm, GXP 24/22mm.
You have a good chance that neither of these cranks will fit without new bottom bracket.
What crankset is on the bike right now?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

If the spindle is permanently attached to the DS crankarm, it's GXP. It will also be hollow on that side. If there is a hex interface on the DS, then it's 30mm.

Attermann

by Attermann

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:56 am
If the spindle is permanently attached to the DS crankarm, it's GXP. It will also be hollow on that side. If there is a hex interface on the DS, then it's 30mm.
some of the early BB30 versions had the spindle attached to the drive side like GXP

filip00

by filip00

Spindle being attached means nothing.

Short differences that'll help you out:
On the frameset
-is the bearing external or internal? If internal, it might be BB30 or PF30.
-if the bearing is external, it's probably threaded. If it's threaded, you gotta check if it's ITA or BSA thread - I'm guessing it's BSA.
-if the bearing is external, its diameter is likely 24mm, but it can also be 30mm (FSA megaevo for example), You should measure it

For sram GXP - you need an external, threaded, truvativ/sram GXP bottom bracket.

Second question is - what sort of sram crankset do you have? Spindle diameter is 30 or 24mm?

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

Thanks chaps. looks like i have the GXP version. (it's smaller than the 30mm EVO386 SLK and Rotor Aldhu cranks i have). Cheers.
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Standard threaded bottom brackets (bsa) are very nicely compatible with gxp cranks. Just get a simple sram gxp bsa bottom bracket.

filip00

by filip00

alcatraz wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:12 pm
Standard threaded bottom brackets (bsa) are very nicely compatible with gxp cranks. Just get a simple sram gxp bsa bottom bracket.
Seconding that, I just finished a master frameset with ITA threaded BB, I used a sram ITA GXP BB, which worked fine with the GXP crankset.

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

thanks for the input guys! :D

kode54

by kode54

If its threaded...make sure its either English or Italian before ordering the bottom bracket.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com