eTap hydro install....

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sfo423

by sfo423

new to etap hydro

am installing in internal routed frame and I see several diff videos on which end to cut; some say caliper and others say at lever. seems lever would make 'common sense' but again, several videos says caliper. This a new system; route, cut at lever; install new barb & thingamajig and insert into lever?

It came with a 't-tool' but I don't see a barb in it; just what looks like a thingamajig. (unfortunately, i can't thread hose through bb w/out cutting the tip off the hose as it wont fit through the frame opening unless its cut).

TIA

whyamihere

by whyamihere

Cut at the lever end (assuming eTap 11 or that AXS has stayed the same). The Stealthamajig connection is at the lever end, and it's there that you should cut it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jfranci3

by jfranci3

1) Confirm the hoses are set for the right brake. If you bought from UK retailer, they might not be.
2) Cut the caliper side so you don't need to take apart the shifter. Removing the lever side, means opening up the master cylinder.
3) You CAN cut the hose with std cable/housing cutters. This worked better for me than the actual hose cutter.
4) If your frame is difficult to plumb, you might want to drain the system entirely of the fluid.
5) plumb, confirm length, add barb.
6) Refill the system with goo from the top down so you can refill the goo if needed.
7) Bleed from the bottom up.

sfo423

by sfo423

This is not AXS, but etap 11.
whyamihere wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:20 pm
Cut at the lever end (assuming eTap 11 or that AXS has stayed the same). The Stealthamajig connection is at the lever end, and it's there that you should cut it.
See - varying opinons...............

I will say that to thread the hose through the frame I need to cut the internal cable tip (of the hose). Otherwise it won't fit through the bb shell opening. So, that would suggest I should drain the line (before routing) so I dont get fluid on the frame. right?
2) Cut the caliper side so you don't need to take apart the shifter. Removing the lever side, means opening up the master cylinder.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

If it is etap, lever end. Sram stopped doing the hose connection inside the master cylinder when etap came out. Also, some get confused by where the actual hose attaches. Tilt the black fitting up and away from the lever body. It has 10mm wrench flats. Hold the fitting still using the flats and undo the 8mm hose end fitting.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

karmaz

by karmaz

wheelbuilder wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:27 am
If it is etap, lever end. Sram stopped doing the hose connection inside the master cylinder when etap came out. Also, some get confused by where the actual hose attaches. Tilt the black fitting up and away from the lever body. It has 10mm wrench flats. Hold the fitting still using the flats and undo the 8mm hose end fitting.
This.

Just cut off the preinstalled stealthamajig, route the cable and then attach a new stealthamajig using the tiny allen key supplied.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cerro

by cerro

Etap and Etap AXS is made to cut at the lever, like wheelbuilder writes. Mounted a set like that today.