Wheel choice for new terrain

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

So I am going to be sent to Germany for 4 months this May and was wondering if I should take my carbon wheels Reynolds AR58 or bring the stock Axis wheels that came on my Allez sprint. I will be staying around Ramstein and this will be my first time so I am not sure how the terrain is going to be. I am from Florida so its basically just flat and some hills.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

It it were me i would bring the reynolds. You only live once. If roads are sketchy, fire on wider tires and drop your pressures

AJS914

by AJS914

You can look at the Strava heatmap to see where people ride and then you drive around with Google Street View to get a sense of those roads.

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

Yeah I could do that one day when I'm bored AJS. I want to bring my Reynolds I just have a fear of accidently hitting some pot hole. I mean I do have a lifetime warranty now that I think of it. I just cant find the serial numbers to them!

jfranci3

by jfranci3

IIRC the river front trails are dirt, everything else is paved.

One thing to consider is that the wheels are the hardest thing to ship as they are the biggest and widest. If you've got your bike in a soft box/bag, the wheels are the side protection. You may want to consider one-waying the stock Axis wheels unless you have a wet tire / trainer tire setup on them.

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

jfranci3 wrote:IIRC the river front trails are dirt, everything else is paved.

One thing to consider is that the wheels are the hardest thing to ship as they are the biggest and widest. If you've got your bike in a soft box/bag, the wheels are the side protection. You may want to consider one-waying the stock Axis wheels unless you have a wet tire / trainer tire setup on them.
I do have a case like this but I have to see what type of shape it’s in from being in storage. Got gp4000 on the stock wheels and corsa g on my Reynolds.

https://m.probikekit.com/cycling-access ... 9fEALw_wcB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

Also just remembered my stock wheels are 10sp I put a sram 11sp cassette on but I might put bald on the 105 cassette instead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

07stuntin6r wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:27 pm
hitting some pot hole.
Roads are probably quite a bit better than in the US.