2019 Venge Stem & Bars for non-specialized build?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bikesrdangerousmmk

by bikesrdangerousmmk

Posted something about this in another thread, but wanted to more broadly solicit your thoughts.

Has anyone built up a non-Specialized bike with the new venge stem and Aerofly bars? Weight-wise they look good, and the stem (especially) and bar are relatively cheap compared to other options like Zipp, Enve, Deda, or vision.

I kind of like the funky looks of the Strada Due and was trying to figure out the cleanest front end set up. The vision 1-piece integrated stem/bar looks solid, but was wondering about the venge parts as well.

bikesrdangerousmmk

by bikesrdangerousmmk

Probably should have titled the thread: “aftermarket integrated cable solutions”

Anyone know if the fsa vision stem (or anything else on the market like that) could hide all the strada cables? Will be using etap.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sychen

by sychen

If you are after cable integration via the venge stem.. It most likely won't work with most frames.. As the frames need to be designed with the internal routing in mind.

Most brands do it differently.. So it's a maybe but unlikely.

Bars will work with any stem.. Makes stuff neater with di2 stuff tucked inside.. But exits at the stem to go into normal ports.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

blehargh

by blehargh

I would think you'd have issues with the stem - it has a specific stem cover that's supposed to lock into the venge headset spacers. I don't think you'd be able to make a non-venge look clean at all, unless you're willing to run the venge stem without the cover.

What's more intriguing to me is the Future Stem on the new Roubaix. It looks basically like the Venge stem with the computer mount (would work with the Aerofly bars) but I can't tell if it's truly a 1-1/8th steerer diameter. Seems silly if it's not, but there's some documentation in the Roubaix user manual where you are supposed to use different thickness shims for the Future Stem vs a standard 1-1/8th Stem.

bikesrdangerousmmk

by bikesrdangerousmmk

Anyone aware of any internal brake solutions for stradas? Would the Parlee ez7 headset and stem work? Saw an old thread where someone mentioned using a venge Vias compression plug for at least getting the front brake through the strada steerer tube.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

If you are fine with not having the cover that comes with the stem (which is the only thing that keeps it looking nice imo) and not having the computer mount (backordered from specialized own) then I would go for it. Specialized claim that their venge stem is stiffer than the zipp sprint one that all the world tour sprinters use. Sagan seems to be happy with it for now.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikesrdangerousmmk

by bikesrdangerousmmk

icantaffordcycling wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 5:57 am
If you are fine with not having the cover that comes with the stem (which is the only thing that keeps it looking nice imo) and not having the computer mount (backordered from specialized own) then I would go for it. Specialized claim that their venge stem is stiffer than the zipp sprint one that all the world tour sprinters use. Sagan seems to be happy with it for now.
It actually looks pretty good I think, and a $10 spacer kit includes the stem top cap.