Campagnolo Super Record Replacement Cage?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

welchy

by welchy

Hi everybody, pretty sure I’ve got a bent cage on my SR 11 speed rear mech. I am looking for the metal rear cage that is part of this mech. Anybody got the part number?

Ps I know that’s not how the jockey parts go I just don’t want to loose the bits!
E5DBE5E6-A83F-4CEB-9625-810A45BBE673.jpeg
Attachments
6BF066BC-D895-454D-B0A2-72469BBC9F39.jpeg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Welchy: doubt that you’ll be able to get just that part, but you could get a whole new cage, and if you’re experiencing a very rare, but real, issue where the cage is just ever so slightly not tracking as it should (I created a thread about that quite a while ago), then it may be worth your while to just get a new cage. Another upgrade you could do while you’re at it is to put in some new pulleys, where the upper pulley has the taller teeth. Not sure exactly which ones you need as I haven’t tried it myself yet but it is an “approved” modification you could make to your existing setup. I want to test this out too when I get a chance.
And nice pics from your Roubaix trip in the other thread.
Last edited by Calnago on Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

welchy

by welchy

The cheapest I could find the whole new carbon part and alloy was $212USD. So seems a bit too high to justify, I’ve actually gone ahead and spent £15 on a J&L Carbon part on eBay as I thought what’s the harm in trying!

I went ahead and bought some new SR jockey wheels for £45 as there is something not quite right. I’m about mid-way up the cassette it requires an extra flick of the lever to get the mech up another cog. Even when all other cogs are fine. Is your SR rear mech dead straight? Mine has a definitive kink mid way but it looks to be set that way as standard, could be wrong!

God these mechs are so damn expensive, could have bought an ultegra rear for the price of the jockey wheels alone! Haha

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

You might want to just replace it with a Chorus cage (all alloy). That’s what I did, as I think it’s actually stiffer too. Kept the ceramic pulley form the SR cage (cuz why not). There is a slight intentional twist in the cage so it’s really difficult to tell if it’s really bent or not. Sort of a last resort Hail Mary assumption after you’ve verified that everything else is perfect (hanger alignment, adjustment, limit screws, etc). Your situation almost sounds like it’s just way out of adjustment. I once had a friend try to “fine tune” his so much that it was out by almost a whole cog in the indexing and he wondered why he couldn’t get to the largest cog). So might be worth it to start over. Also, make sure your cassette lock ring hasn’t been jarred loose by all the Roubaix cobble action. 40Nm on that puppy. If you’re tightening it without a torque wrench, it’s possible you didn’t get it quite tight enough.... 40Nm is tight.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

welchy

by welchy

Yeh I'm trying to find the Ally rear P/N or anybody that would supply it as 16gs is no real loss to me at 92kgs! I am going to re-do the cables today and fit new jockey wheels and see where we comes out, fingers crossed!

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Although out of stock, you may wanna contact these guys..

https://www.universalcycles.com/shoppin ... p?id=62653

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The issue you have op could easily be a slight twist or bend in the rear hanger. Small defects in the hanger or dropout do cause issues with 11 speed. Small defects are difficult to pick up with alignment tool, impossible without.

welchy

by welchy

Noted, I’ve gone ahead and bought a new rear hanger. I took the hanger off and lay it on a flat surface and it was pan flat anyway. So doubtful it is the hanger, and considering the mech cage looks bent kinda suspecting it’s that.

Just bidding on a used record mech I can rob the cage from, and if that fails I’ll buy a chorus and nick the cage as nobody seems to have stock of the standard mech cage on its own.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

If its a post 2015 mech I have the steel medium cage, cage.

post 2015 RD's have a slight twist in the cage by design. too much and it seems to cause issues

robertbb

by robertbb

welchy wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:42 pm
Noted, I’ve gone ahead and bought a new rear hanger. I took the hanger off and lay it on a flat surface and it was pan flat anyway. So doubtful it is the hanger, and considering the mech cage looks bent kinda suspecting it’s that.

Just bidding on a used record mech I can rob the cage from, and if that fails I’ll buy a chorus and nick the cage as nobody seems to have stock of the standard mech cage on its own.
If you do buy another mech to rob the cage, consider getting a Potenza HO mech - same cage as Chorus but Potenza is way cheaper. Ensure it is the HO one and you'll also get the pointier upper jockey wheel which in my experience really does improve the system's performance overall.

ManekiNico

by ManekiNico

welchy wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:51 pm
Anybody got the part number?
The whole pulley assembly is part RD-SR202. Not sure you can get just the one side of the cage.

Here's a page from Campag's 2017 spare parts catalogue (I'm assuming your mech is post-2015). They have a bunch of spare parts catalogues, technical manuals, etc. under "Documentation" in the Support section of their website.
Attachments
Campagnolo 035_2354 Spare Parts Tools 2017 part A page 16.jpg
Mom: He was very sickly until he started riding around on that bicycle.
Dad: Yeah... well... now his body’s fine, but his mind is gone.

welchy

by welchy

Great help guys! Thanks to all of you, so Calnago and Robertb have both mentioned the newer jockey wheels being an upgrade. I’ve bought them from Germany and they should arrive in a couple of weeks, only 16 euros.

I’ll be pairing them with a second hand record rear mech (2017) I bought for £70. I’ll then rob the mech hanger of this and put it on my SR after a good lube up. If for any reason that fails I’ll buy just the rear mech parts, trouble is nobody anywhere seems to have stock of it. Or I would’ve purchased just the cage straight away!!

Edit: I’ve put some new chorus jockey wheels (normal type not the better ones on) which has improved shifting slightly, the original top bearing had worn significantly I believe due to alignment issues. Whereas lower ceramic bearing was all okay..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com