New Domane?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sethjs

by sethjs

Any word on if a new Domane's coming shortly given the Roubaix release? Would have expected to see it by now...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

maybe next year

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

ChiZ01 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:25 am
maybe next year

The Domane has not seen a 2020 refresh with Red or Force eTap AXS. It's coming soon...they just missed the P-R window much like how Specialized missed it with the previous version of the Roubaix.

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

My local trek store says to expect one this year. The new version of the Roubaix looks much better than the last one. It will be interesting to see what Trek comes up with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hlvd

by hlvd

If only they made a Domane in H2 fit, plus I think the new Roubaix has changed the game big style.

jwalther

by jwalther

hlvd wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:25 am
If only they made a Domane in H2 fit, plus I think the new Roubaix has changed the game big style.
All Domanes are H2 fit, except for the Koppenberg versions right?
2023 Capitol Bicycles Custom Ti
2019 Felt Breed 30
2013 Co-Motion Supremo when the wife wants to ride

thanksbye

by thanksbye

Nope,

Most Domanes are Endurance Fit

hlvd

by hlvd

jwalther wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:08 am
hlvd wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:25 am
All Domanes are H2 fit, except for the Koppenberg versions right?
Wrong, none are H2, they’re taller.
The only current version you can buy that differs is the RSL but that’s super expensive and unsure if available as a frameset, infact I'm not even sure it's still available.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

At this point, I doubt we'll see a new Domane until next season. The Cobbled Classics are over, so the bike wouldn't fit a need for this season, as I don't think the TdF has any cobbled stages this year. Also, there's nothing listed in the UCI frame list for new bikes coming out.

Regarding frame dimensions, the Domane has never been released in an H2 geometry. The geometries are "Pro" and "Endurance". Calnago can go into great depth on the Pro geometry, but suffice it to say, the "Endurance" geometry is more akin to an H3 fit. It has a large headtube and very slack handling (I certainly wouldn't want to race it).

Predicting the next Domane: there have been a lot of comments (none very positive) about the front IsoSpeed, so I would imagine that's where they're going to focus (maybe a lockout?). I would like to see Trek refresh of the geometries, maybe introducing a racier, more aggressive posture for consumer use. Also, I fully expect it to be disc-only (as I think all future Trek road bikes will be, after the current generations).

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

There’s no reason to delay the announcement of the Domane a full year just because they missed P-R. That would be a missed opportunity during the summer riding months in the northern hemisphere. Again, just look at what Specialized did in 2016...they didn’t delay the Roubaix announcement until 2017, they simply announced the bike in September.

Trek is likely already working on the 2023 Domane...they need to get the 2020 model out ASAP.

AJS914

by AJS914

I think you guys over estimate how many sales would come from a Paris-Roubaix annoucement or even win. Out of the hundred guys in my bike club I'd bet that only ten percent watch pro cycling and most of those probably just watch the Tour. They don't watch the classics or the Giro or the Vuelta.

The average buyer for a Domane or Roubaix just doesn't have their eyes on all of this ... at least in the US. It may be different for the bike market in Belgium.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:17 pm
There’s no reason to delay the announcement of the Domane a full year just because they missed P-R.
I think that if they were working on something, you'd have seen the TFS riders on prototype bikes, like you saw Cancellara riding, before the current Domane was announced.
AJS914 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:28 pm
The average buyer for a Domane or Roubaix just doesn't have their eyes on all of this ... at least in the US. It may be different for the bike market in Belgium.
No, but the guys who spend big money on those bikes aren't your average buyer, and they'll drop big money on bikes they think are what the pros ride. The average buyer won't really care about it, sure, but marketing is marketing. How many times did you walk past a Trek shop and see that iconic photo of Cancellara powering away during Flanders, when the Domane was announced?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

So you think Specialized made a huge mistake releasing the 2017 Roubaix in Sept 2016 rather than trying to sell the very stale Zertz/SL4 Roubaix for another half year?

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I never said that. Only Specialized could answer that, and unless you have their private sales numbers, you're just trying to argue for argument's sake. All I know is that Specialized made sure to release the new Roubaix in time for PR (and make a HUGE marketing push about it), so maybe they did make a mistake releasing the prior generation when they did (we'll never know). All I'm saying is that if Trek were considering releasing a new "Classics" bike, it sure seems odd that they didn't release it for "Classics" season. Maybe they'll release it later in the year, but it won't have the splash it would otherwise have had if they released it in time for Flanders or PR, like they traditionally do.

Trek releases bikes pretty regularly. You see updates to the Emonda and Madone in time for the TdF and the Domane for Classics season. They time this stuff pretty accurately. If they were going to release something, I think we would have seen something, is all I'm saying.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

1) The Domane is the best selling model of the Madone/Emonda/Domane performance road bike trio because it's easy to sell the average cyclist on comfort. Also the endurance geometry works out best for most people.

2) It's spring, headed into summer. To miss these prime months for bike sales would not only hurt Trek's bottom line, but it would also be crippling to independent bike dealers. The bike will be released/announced when it's ready, not a moment later.

3) Companies like Trek and Specialized don't need to rely on marquis events to announce their wares. They have some of the biggest marketing budgets in the industry and can generate as much hype as they need whenever they need. They already skip Eurobike, helped kill Interbike, etc.

4) The current Domane has not seen updates with Force or Red eTap AXS. This is the biggest clue. Both the Madone and Emonda have complete bike offerings with the new SRAM groups.

My prediction: The new Domane will drop no later than the end of June.