New Domane?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jcnz

by jcnz

TobinHatesYou wrote:White/red version of the XXX. It’s a “special edition” and a $50 premium over the white/blue, white/black, black versions. Construction is the same, you’re just laying for the color.
Beautiful looking shoes.....

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

The red is pretty awesome in person.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

hlvd

by hlvd

TobinHatesYou wrote:
hlvd wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:13 pm
H3 Endurance Fit again, I'm out!

H1.5 is basically standard race stack/reach. Not an option?
It's only available in Project One on an SLR, so SL version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

So, will Trek be making their own bottom brackets or which manufacturer are they going with? Who is currently the cheapest, Wheels Mfg. or are there asian alternatives…?

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Per Velonews, "The bike is compatible with any T47 bottom bracket out there, so there’s no issues with using other T47 bottom brackets."

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

MayhemSWE wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:54 pm
So, will Trek be making their own bottom brackets or which manufacturer are they going with? Who is currently the cheapest, Wheels Mfg. or are there asian alternatives…?

85.5mm T47 width was Praxis's idea and that's who they're currently using.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Well first of all, kudos to Trek, the first really large manufacturer to actually reverse track and move back to a threaded BB shell, even though it's gotta be more costly to manufacture. Good for us, and perhaps this will presuade other large manufacturers to follow suit. It only took how many years to finally acknowledge that maybe this threaded bottom bracket idea that had served us so well for like, forever, didn't really need to be changed so much after all. Simply make it bigger to accommodate larger BB shells, and voila... same as it ever was.

As far as I've been able to determine, here's what I can surmise thus far...

1) Trek's shell width will be 85.5mm, rather than the standard BB86 width of 86.5mm. This is so they can make the splines on the T47 BB deeper so it's not so finicky during the ham fisted mass production process.

2) Should work just fine with most cranks, even with standard T47 BB's being produced currently by other manufacturers, if the bearings can be located on the spindles in the proper location. Don't quote me on this, but I think other T47's (thinner flange) would work just fine for Shimano with no changes. In any case, worse case scenario is that you use the T47 BB of your choice, and just use a 0.5mm shim on either side of the shell in between it's face and the T47 flange.

3) Unfortunately, this wouldn't suffice for a Campy install, as Campy's bearings are pressfit onto the spindle and precisely located independently of where the cups are. However, I don't think it would be a difficult task to manufacture T47 cups to accommodate a Campy install. If Ceramic Speed did it for Colnago's T45 BB shell, whose volumes are miniscule compared to Trek, then I can't see why they woudn't be on this right away for Trek BB's as well. Chris King currently doesn't sell any of their BB's without bearings already in them, and as such they have no Campy solution, and I doubt that will change. They are pretty proud of their BB's, headsets, bearings, and the way they are all integrated, as well they should be. The beauty is that you could still use a Chris King T47 for most any of the other most popular cranks which don't have bearings pressed onto their spindles.

4) Wait and see if Trek carries this through their entire lineup, but now that I've seen one in a carbon shell, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't. So hell ya, Good on ya, Trek!
Last edited by Calnago on Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Specialized has been moving back on to threaded BBs in many of their top end MTB frames and a large chunk of their road frames for over 18 months ;)

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

I'm a huge fan of threaded BB's. This is an interesting take on the subject of T47.
Specialized is moving back to good old bsa, which I think is a lighter solution and already has every crank covered.

https://www.bbinfinite.com/blogs/news/t ... -press-fit
Ride fast Take chances

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, I'm aware of that. Which is good. But it would be nice to see one standard adopted. T47 seems a likely candidate. Specialized has some of the most convoluted BB's, just to be different, since BB30 was introduced. OSBB has several variations now, hard to know which is which, with the older narrower 61mm shell (a really bad idea), to whatever they're bonding in there now, BSA I think. But really, T47 is essentially BSA except for bigger shells which is good. And it would support 30mm spindles for those that wanted to use them. BSA won't, at least not with any rationally sized bearings. But either way, going back to a threaded BB shell is a good thing in my mind. But what the hell am I going to do with all these presses and drifts and retaining compounds, etc. Toss 'em, that's what. Or keep 'em for working on that "ugly era' of bikes that used pressfit BB's.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Alexbn921 wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:22 am
I'm a huge fan of threaded BB's. This is an interesting take on the subject of T47.
Specialized is moving back to good old bsa, which I think is a lighter solution and already has every crank covered.

BSA relies on external cups vs T47 allowing internal cups. T47 allows more design flexibility around the BB shell...that's why it's popular for gravel bikes with wide tire clearance, but people still wanting narrow stance-width. Clearance for wide tires can be accommodated with BSA, but obviously the 20mm or so worth of external cups forces a design compromise somewhere.

Calnago, most if not all "BSA30" BBs use the same 6806 bearings as their BB30/PF30 or BB386EVO counterparts.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yup, the extra real estate around the BB shell for frame manufacturers to work with is the biggest beneift of T47, and larger tubes and the need for wider BB shells is a given with today's frames, which BSA just can't handle as well.

eric01

by eric01

But... for the lightest weight, molded carbon cups for direct fit bearings. Like on the cervelo rca or ax lightness vial evo. Threaded is surely reliable and reliable, but will add 70g or 80g
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Now you’re sounding like the marketing department. Give me reliable, robust, monkey installable, and most of all... silent, any day. At the expense of 70 grams or so it’s a bargain.

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

BSA is the standard i've had the most experiance with 30+ years. It works wwith everything, everytime all the time and is easy. T47 adds weight, but gives more design freedom.
PF30 seems like the best press fit standard with the greatest flexability.
Ride fast Take chances

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com