specialized road bikes - venge vs tarmac

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

Previous generation Venge models just didn’t ride very well. They were aero-focused and not enough effort was put into ride characteristics. I wouldn’t have considered any of the previous models. I think this is the basis of people’s negative impression.

The latest gen, however, is quite different. Whatever they did, it is a far more comfortable day-to-day ride. Really nice overall, and surprising tire clearance. You can fit wide wheels/wide tires on the latest model, which is great for compliance.

The tarmac has always been a great ride. The venge will be marginally more aero, none of which matters for normal people, but that cable integration makes maintenance more of a pain in the ass. Contact points on the two should be almost identical, so fit shouldn’t be an issue.

If you like the aesthetics of the the venge, or if you want to go completely aero, go for it. Otherwise, the tarmac is such a great overall frame.

poppiholla

by poppiholla

So the Venge needs a spacer and then the stack height of the Tarmac and the Venge are the same. Ok but when you need more spacers to get the right fit, the Venge wil get a bigger spacer tower then the Tarmac. For me the look of a bike is also important and less spacers is more beautiful. Is my assumption correct?
I need on my Tarmac Sl6 size 58 3cm spacer to get the correct fit. That is the conical 20mm spacer and 1 extra 10mm spacer befor my stem (40mm) is mounted.
What do I need on a Venge disc size 58 to get the same fit as on my Tarmac? I assume that I need more spacers on the Venge but I am not sure. Who can help me out? Thanks.
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

Geo between the Tarmac and Venge is identical. Weight is adjustable and Venge can be made to be as light as a Tarmac. So stiffness/weight of the dropouts is what separates climbing ability and comfort, right? Couldn’t the right set of wheels alleviate the issue?

ScottinFL

by ScottinFL

If you guys are watching the Tour of California (I've only now watched the first two stages on reply on NBC Gold app in Amazon Prime Video), it would seem that the Venge is the choice of the racers. Stage 1 was entirely flat, winner rides Venge to victory (no spoilers); and Stage 2 was entirely uphill for 5 hours, and winner rides Venge to victory (different rider, same bike).

That would seem to settle this dispute, no?

anykarthik

by anykarthik

poppiholla wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 5:41 pm
So the Venge needs a spacer and then the stack height of the Tarmac and the Venge are the same. Ok but when you need more spacers to get the right fit, the Venge wil get a bigger spacer tower then the Tarmac. For me the look of a bike is also important and less spacers is more beautiful. Is my assumption correct?
I need on my Tarmac Sl6 size 58 3cm spacer to get the correct fit. That is the conical 20mm spacer and 1 extra 10mm spacer befor my stem (40mm) is mounted.
What do I need on a Venge disc size 58 to get the same fit as on my Tarmac? I assume that I need more spacers on the Venge but I am not sure. Who can help me out? Thanks.
The Venge does not need a "spacer". The headset topcap is taller on the Venge and makes up the difference. Also, the Venge frame has a notch for this topcap to fit into. So when it is in place, it doesn't stick out above the toptube as much. So aesthetics are not as adversely affected as you might think

Look at this image:
https://cdn.road.cc/sites/default/files ... k=XKtLL08G

anykarthik

by anykarthik

ScottinFL wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 7:49 pm
If you guys are watching the Tour of California (I've only now watched the first two stages on reply on NBC Gold app in Amazon Prime Video), it would seem that the Venge is the choice of the racers. Stage 1 was entirely flat, winner rides Venge to victory (no spoilers); and Stage 2 was entirely uphill for 5 hours, and winner rides Venge to victory (different rider, same bike).

That would seem to settle this dispute, no?
The Tarmac wins plenty of stages (hint: it's the rider that matters). I think Sagan himself is on video saying he prefers the Tarmac. I can imagine mostly for comfort (which matters). FWIW, I have a Venge and only recently got to do a longish ride (4 hours). I run 28mm tires at 75psi and I was comfortable. I chose the Venge for mostly aesthetic reasons. That and the fact that here in Seattle, EVERYBODY has a Tarmac.

ScottinFL

by ScottinFL

If they have a choice, the racers are going to race the bike that gives them the best advantage. There is no reason why anyone with a choice b/w Venge and Tarmac would ride one vs. the other on an entirely uphill stage unless they believed that their choice gave them an advantage.

Now, that said, in that second stage, Sagan rode his Tarmac. So, he obviously prefers that bike for the uphill stages. But, he did not win the stage. In fact, he did not look so great on that stage. The winner, also on a factory supported Specialized team, chose to ride a Venge because he obviously prefers that bike -- and for good reason it seems.

I guess the point is that, for us mere mortals, it really does not matter one bit which of these two bikes you select. Go with whatever makes you happy to pull it out of the garage in morning :)

P.S. To my surprise, and lending even more support for my conclusion above (that it just doesn't matter anymore what you choose), the C'Dale SystemSix -- an overweight steed of a bike (apparently), seems to be doing just fine on the climbing stages.

dcorn

by dcorn

ScottinFL wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:10 pm

P.S. To my surprise, and lending even more support for my conclusion above (that it just doesn't matter anymore what you choose), the C'Dale SystemSix -- an overweight steed of a bike (apparently), seems to be doing just fine on the climbing stages.
Ha, I saw this and couldn't believe it either. That USA Cycling dude is killing it in the mountains on the SystemSix.

tabl10s

by tabl10s

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:26 pm
How tall are you? The difference in weight between the larger sizes is insignificant because the Tarmac’s tubes require more plies toward the center of each tube to retain strength and stiffness.

Take a look at this: https://youtu.be/PSuH8q3EraM?t=260s

His 61cm Tarmac Disc and Venge weigh pretty much exactly the same.
Could'a had a V8,... D'oh!... a Venge!
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

tabl10s

by tabl10s

ryanw wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:52 pm
SL6 on CLX50s and Aerofly II bars. Perfection.
I've got the 32's, 50's and 64's along with Meilenstein's. Can't wait to see they compare.
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

ichobi

by ichobi

Do get back to us! I really love my clx32 on the sl6.

pk1

by pk1

for what its worth, i ended up going for the venge but with CLX50s as i live in a hilly and windy area. just one ride so far but loved it. with the shallower wheels it feels just as responsive on climbs as the tarmac and also perfectly comfortable. perhaps most importantly, it looks amazing ;)

56cm weighs in right on 7Kg with dura-ace drive train, including pedals, cages, computer etc so while the tarmac would probably come in a bit lighter its not exactly an anchor

LegPower

by LegPower

parajba wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:24 am
I have a Venge with CLX50 and 5000TL in 25mm. It is 7.3kg race ready. Super comfy, fast as they come on rolling hills, great acceleration out of the saddle and surprisingly climbs VERY well (coming from a Cervelo R3).
I was also 50-50 split between these two models but the cable integration won it for me.
What size / color is your Venge? I'm a 54 and currently riding the purple / pink Tarmac Sl6 disc with aerofly II. I'm considering a Venge in the black / holo (lightest paint) and swapping my CLX 50s over to it. Curious what the weight penalty will be, if any.

sigma

by sigma

LegPower wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:50 am
parajba wrote:
I have a Venge with CLX50 and 5000TL in 25mm. It is 7.3kg race ready. Super comfy, fast as they come on rolling hills, great acceleration out of the saddle and surprisingly climbs VERY well (coming from a Cervelo R3).
I was also 50-50 split between these two models but the cable integration won it for me.
What size / color is your Venge? I'm a 54 and currently riding the purple / pink Tarmac Sl6 disc with aerofly II. I'm considering a Venge in the black / holo (lightest paint) and swapping my CLX 50s over to it. Curious what the weight penalty will be, if any.
I have exactly your setup. Tarmac disc in 54 / purple chameleon. Venge black in 56. Both s works. I have my 50s on the Venge. Schmolke wheels on the tarmac (1150 grams or so with extralite hubs). I will try and weight both and you can normalize the wheels. The Venge is di2 and the tarmac etap wifli with a 11-32 on it.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

parajba

by parajba

LegPower wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:50 am
parajba wrote:
It's black size 54. Still very happy!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com