Things you don’t like

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

skyboy

by skyboy

imperial measurement system

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Calnago wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:39 am
Ha... and the counter to that is the guy who insists on doing a track stand at every single opportunity. Every light, when just putting a foot down would make anyone around him a lot more comfortable. You just know at some time he's going to just get off balance a bit and topple over on you. I try to keep my distance. In the meantime, I'm practicing wheelies. Stay away, stay far away.
Haha, guilty as charged. Cleats are expensive and I figure clipping in and out shortens their lifespan :D . But Cal, your safe beside me - I promise. I've been track standing for decades and never toppled. I used to do it back in the day strapped in with toe clips. I had a buddy when I lived back east who could track stand no hands seated. He'd just sit there motionless at a stop light - very cool. I'm hard pressed to sit stationary for very long with my hands on the bars.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Italia

by Italia

I'm one of those guilty of buying a higher end bike and I can honestly say I bought it purely for my own enjoyment! Sadly I have no one to show it off to as I don't do group rides due to my own insecurities. I do however love to ride and even stay up until 3:00 in the morning watching the Tour de France. Watching, dreaming what it must be like to be on the Tour and knowing that I like many others I just don't have what it takes to be there! Now could I really afford one of those bikes? Probably not the smartest thing I've done but this I will say, when I'm out of the saddle on a long climb dreaming of being one of those riders ..........it's all worth while : )
Last edited by Italia on Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattr

by mattr

Mr.Gib wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:44 pm
dgasmd wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:52 pm
-People that simply can't shut the f**** up on a group ride. They talk nonstop from begining to end!
So easy to fix, but you have to sit on the front and hold about 350 watts. :D
Doesn't work for some.
Used to be my go to piece of psychological warfare during races. Incessant low grade chatter or singing.

Man i used to get sworn at a lot.

Worked though. Was worth "saving" 10 watts for talking.

;o)

sychen

by sychen

Italia wrote:I'm one of those guilty of buying a higher end bike and I can honestly say I bought it purely for my own enjoyment!
Same here.. Do group rides.. And yes I get dropped like a bag of wet cement by the old guys when the road pitches up. Getting better... Still sub standard..

TIL some weenie hate me for being slow.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

jih

by jih

Riders who throw themselves forward when they stand with such force that their bike is forced backwards, needing an adjustment by the rider behind who is drafting them.

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

jih wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:51 am
...such force that their bike is forced backwards...
Sounds like time travel :D

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

btw, I don't like this thread

filip00

by filip00

jih wrote:
Riders who throw themselves forward when they stand with such force that their bike is forced backwards, needing an adjustment by the rider behind who is drafting them.
This is very scary and dangerous on a packed group ride. Usually you can learn to avoid doing this if you ever ride on the rollers and try to get out of the saddle. If you jerk it as you would, you'll come right off.

Campervan

by Campervan

Italia wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:36 am
I'm one of those guilty of buying a higher end bike and I can honestly say I bought it purely for my own enjoyment! Sadly I have no one to show it off to as I don't do group rides due to my own insecurities. I do however love to ride and even stay up until 3:00 in the morning watching the Tour de France. Watching, dreaming what it must be like to be on the Tour and knowing that I like many others just don't have what it takes to be there! Could I really afford one of those bikes I had seen? Probably not the smartest thing I've done but this I will say, when I'm out of the saddle on a long climb dreaming of being one of those riders ..........it's all worth while : )
Totally agreee, I did start back into cycling (15 years off, ex-downhill racar) with a carbon BMC Granfondo and recently treated myself to a Venge Pro disc. I do however do group rides at 20mph average, but also enjoy riding with my OH at 15mph (still on the venge). I do do group rides from my local cafe, started in the social group, into the middle group which I find easy so being encouraged to go into the fast group. I do drop back often to pick those dropping off to assist them to get back into the group.
BMC Granfondo 02 105
Scott Scale 940
Boardman CXR 9.4 cxr CX/gravel mongrel
Btwin 540
Specialized Venge Pro Disc

jih

by jih

filip00 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:01 pm
jih wrote:
This is very scary and dangerous on a packed group ride. Usually you can learn to avoid doing this if you ever ride on the rollers and try to get out of the saddle. If you jerk it as you would, you'll come right off.
Yeah. Obviously if you move forwards the bike if going backwards because of preservation of momentum, and it is worse for heavier riders. But the solution is simply to move forwards slowly if someone is on your wheel, not spring forwards.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

mvdp fanbois
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

XCProMD

by XCProMD

RimClencher wrote:Imagine a world where cycling caps were in every shop as a fashion accessory, and worn by baseball teams when they win the world series. Seems pretty good to me.
Yeah!!

https://youtu.be/t7DgbPjFOfY

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

Mr.Gib wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:54 am
Calnago wrote:
Ha... and the counter to that is the guy who insists on doing a track stand at every single opportunity. Every light, when just putting a foot down would make anyone around him a lot more comfortable. You just know at some time he's going to just get off balance a bit and topple over on you. I try to keep my distance. In the meantime, I'm practicing wheelies. Stay away, stay far away.
Haha, guilty as charged. Cleats are expensive and I figure clipping in and out shortens their lifespan :D . But Cal, your safe beside me - I promise. I've been track standing for decades and never toppled. I used to do it back in the day strapped in with toe clips. I had a buddy when I lived back east who could track stand no hands seated. He'd just sit there motionless at a stop light - very cool. I'm hard pressed to sit stationary for very long with my hands on the bars.
Same here-track standing also makes motorpacing or drag racing cars across intersections easier.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

bremerradkurier wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:52 pm
Mr.Gib wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:54 am
Calnago wrote:
Same here-track standing also makes motorpacing or drag racing cars across intersections easier.
I do this at stops but I normally stay seated and keep distance between myself and others in case I have to move around a bit or suddenly need to stand. Years ago we had a track guy who would bend down to do up his toe straps while holding a track stand. Its impressive to watch.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com