Which rim tape to use with LATEX inner tubes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

OxfordGuy

by OxfordGuy

Hi - I want to use latex inner tubes (probably Vittoria or Silca) with a set of Mavic Open Pro C rims (15C internal diameter) and Veloflex Master 25 tyres. Mavic recommend 18mm wide rim tape, but WHICH rim tape would be best to use with latex inner tubes and this setup? It's for a bit of a neo-retro build.

Some seem to recommend Velox cloth tape, others seem strongly against this for latex tubes and recommend instead a double layer of tubeless tape e.g. Stans or similar (though Stans doesn't come in as narrow as 18mm - though I think I read somewhere that Tesa 4289 strapping tape is the same as Stans tape, and that at least seems to come in a 19mm width). Would would YOU recommend for my setup and why? Assume I would still need something that comes in 18mm width (or close) either way. Thanks!

Marin

by Marin

I use 4289 only, for tubeless and for Vittoria, Challenge and Vredestein latex tubes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robeambro

by robeambro

Sorry to hijack, but is it common/required to use rim tape with latex inner tubes? Never really used them but wanted to try.

OxfordGuy

by OxfordGuy

robeambro wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:01 am
Sorry to hijack, but is it common/required to use rim tape with latex inner tubes? Never really used them but wanted to try.
Well you have to use some sort of rim tape or strip with *any*inner tube, unless perhaps running Velo Plugs or a rim which doesn't expose the ends of the spokes.

For latex tubes I understand that it's advisable to use tape rather than non-adhesive strips, as latex can work it's way under a strip.

From what I've read it seems quite common for people to use tubeless tape with latex tubes, rather than Velox tape, though there are proponents of the latter too.

robeambro

by robeambro

OxfordGuy wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:11 pm
robeambro wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:01 am
Well you have to use some sort of rim tape or strip with *any*inner tube, unless perhaps running Velo Plugs or a rim which doesn't expose the ends of the spokes.

For latex tubes I understand that it's advisable to use tape rather than non-adhesive strips, as latex can work it's way under a strip.

From what I've read it seems quite common for people to use tubeless tape with latex tubes, rather than Velox tape, though there are proponents of the latter too.
Ah fair enough, I thought there was a specific tape or something for latex :mrgreen:

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

For the op rims Velox cloth tape or put the bike away and don't ride it.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Bit of electric tape 8)

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

lectrical tape is not good rim tape. it can split and then you puncture.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

c60rider

by c60rider

Been using velox rim tape and vittoria latex tubes on my Mavic Open Pro UST rims (19c) without any problems. I just put some talc on the tube first and had no problems with them. I had problems with the supplied plastic rim tape as it moved slightly without me knowing and exposed the edge of an eyelet resulting in an immediate puncture. No such problems with the velox being stuck down.