SRAM buys Powertap

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

maquisard

by maquisard

Part of this makes me sad, long time Powertap used back from the early days of the little yellow computer and the cable from the bars to the black fin antenna on your chainstay. Still using a couple of Powertap G3 hubs on training wheels and they are the most durable and consitent power meters I have owned. I hope Quarq maintain the pedal and hub product lines.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AZR3

by AZR3

From the article it looks like they intend too. I’m curious to see how they develop future versions of the power pedals, wether they keep the battery layout or change to a Vector style (coin batteries) or Assioma (rechargeable intergrated)

jfranci3

by jfranci3

https://www.velonews.com/2019/04/news/t ... ion_492798

Operations moving to South Dakota
Powertap rings getting cancelled

Looks like they bought them for a lower cost /pedal solution, maybe some IP, and to eliminate a competitor. Odd they didn’t buy the trainer business.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Trainer business wasn't for sale (although someone - can't remember if it was DC Rainmaker or Zwiftcast - theorized that CycleOps would be a good acquisition for Zwift, to compete against Peloton). The news out there is that PowerTap was sold so the company could refocus the PT employees to the CycleOps trainers, thus no layoffs.

I wonder if the G4 power meters will ever see the light of day, at this point.

Jugi

by Jugi

Why not? According to DCRainmaker's scoop, G4 hubs were among the main attractions for SRAM. Think about the possibilities combining a strong wheel brand like Zipp with power measuring hubs.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Jugi wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:22 pm
Why not? According to DCRainmaker's scoop, G4 hubs were among the main attractions for SRAM. Think about the possibilities combining a strong wheel brand like Zipp with power measuring hubs.
Not quite. Here's the quote from the article:

"Further, last year at Eurobike, PowerTap showed off early designs of their PowerTap G4 hub for disc brake systems. Jim noted that “Overall the G4 hub we like, and it’s one of the attractive things about the acquisition”, and says they absolutely plan to make that product. However, keep in mind any timing that PowerTap had somewhat goes out the window now (which, is logical, since we’re already months beyond those stated timelines). He said they need to sort out understanding the product fully first before they can commit to any exact time frames for release, as well as any tweaks they might make to it."

What it tells me is that SRAM likes the G4's tech, and they "plan to make the product", but I would hardly characterize the G4 as a main attraction, more like something they'll play with, but not focus much energies on. I think it more likely than not that SRAM bought the IP for the G4 hub, and will use the tech/IP, but won't release the hub as it's designed.

Fundamentally, the entire deal was centered on two things: Saris's inability to focus enough resources to both CycleOps and PowerTap to keep both product lines relevant, and the increasing pressure on SRAM/Quarq to slot into multiple power meter price points. By selling PowerTap, Saris can devote more of its resources toward building better trainers to keep up with Wahoo & TACX. Also, they probably reached a deal with SRAM to license the IP for the hub-based PM, so they can use that as the basis of their CycleOps trainers.

jmocallaghan
in the industry

by jmocallaghan

Has anyone heard anything more on when SRAM intends to release a G4 PT hub or variant of it?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com