Parlee RZ7

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Parleeboy

by Parleeboy

Gentlemen (and any ladies!)

I am new to Weight Weenies, and enjoy the site!

I have a new three month old Parlee Rz7 (Ultegra Di2, Fulcrum 55 WND wheelset, the rest is factory/standard Parlee Rz7 frame/parts) with approximately 800 miles on it. I thought I'd give you my ride impressions:

The ride overall is excellent, pretty much as advertised. Yes, the total package is a tad on the heavy side but I'm a 57 year old 3,000 mile per year rider so my belief is taking 15 lbs off of my bod is more important! Being aero, the bike is fast....flats, rolling terrains, downhills. With three teenage kids and a busy career, I try to manage a 15-17 mile hammer ride in every day to take advantage of my limited bike time. So for my purposes the bike flies. It accelerates very nicely, handles excellent. Compared to my other older rides (Franco Balcom, Colnago C40) the Parlee is levels above, even a pretty good climber for an aero bike.

And yes....COMFORTABLE! Those that have ridden Parlee's know this benefit. When I can get a 30 mile plus ride in, no beat up feeling.

Cons.....as an older rider I'm not too picky and the technology in these bikes is more than I deserve, so few complaints. Maybe an upgraded bar/stem, I think from an aesthetic point they could do a better job.

Overall a fast, comfortable, excellent ride. My total cost was about $8,200, which compared to the Venge is about $2k less.

Let me know if you have any Q's....but yes, highly recommend the Rz7.
Attachments
2381140E-D8DD-42F0-865D-5304F8BCDCB0.jpeg
E103887D-269B-49AE-B2C8-7A368E05B7E6.jpeg

by Weenie

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

very nice. the Fulcrum wheels look good.

Parleeboy

by Parleeboy

Thanks! I put 12,000 miles on ZIPP 404's on my old bike, I find the Fulcrums are just as fast.

Also, liking the matte finish on the RZ7. Parlee will paint, but I find the matte finish cleans up nicely.

kode54

by kode54

Interesting about the Scott. The only issues I've had with Scott bikes was the stiffness compared with Parlee. I'm leaning more towards comfort these days and less getting beat up since the roads aren't getting fixed as quickly as before.
FactoryMatt wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:50 pm
kode54 wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:13 pm
@FactoryMatt

Nice detailed build and weight scale of parts. Thx for that. I was interested in the RZ7 to replace my ESX...but might wait a bit to see if they get all the bugs out.
Excellent documentation for those interested in it.
Thank you! I'm probably overstating the niggles. If this was a venge, i'd probably have even more criticism. Really overall its a very very impressive bike. There's nothing that's a deal breaker or that isnt fixable. I do wish the cables were routed thru the head tube only, but that would require a heavier more complex frame*. The seatpost doesnt seem to rock at 6+nm (spec is up to 8nm). For anyone reading, you can buy with confidence.

*i think the Scott Addict engineers have this nailed with their new steerer design, but they have huge resources. The next Foil will probably be THE bike to be honest, but i value U.S. presence and support, something Scott doesn't care to commit to our market. Addict rc framsets and creston ic bars are VERY hard to come by for example.

Ride report coming as soon as it stops raining!
- Factor 02 Disc + DA9170 + Enve 4.5AR CK CL hubs
- Moots Vamoots Disc RSL Titanium + DA9170 + Enve 3.4AR CK CL hubs
- Parlee Chebacco + DA9170 + Enve G23 CK CL hubs
- Allied Able + DA9170 + Enve G27 CK CL hubs

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

Went ahead and got rid of the stock comp mount and put a barfly SL on. gets the comp in plane with the stem and give me a place to mount a light. also brings the comp in closer to the stem. base weight of the barfly mount sans light attachment and billet attachment mount is same as OE out-front mount. the nice thing about the barfly mount is that it's a 35.0 clamp and bolts right up to the parlee bars! :)

pmprego

by pmprego

FactoryMatt wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:58 pm
Went ahead and got rid of the stock comp mount and put a barfly SL on. gets the comp in plane with the stem and give me a place to mount a light. also brings the comp in closer to the stem. base weight of the barfly mount sans light attachment and billet attachment mount is same as OE out-front mount. the nice thing about the barfly mount is that it's a 35.0 clamp and bolts right up to the parlee bars! :)

I think the bike looks very nice. What I don't understand is why a company designs an aero bike and then puts a round bar in it. For me it doesn't make sense. It cannot be about confort of round bars I have an Easton aero handlebar and the thing is really confortable to hold. And I do think it looks really really nice too.

spartan

by spartan

Parlee once a great brand now mediocre. aero bike with round bars WTF. aero handlebar saves more watts than the frame.
Current Rides:

2018 Madone SLR DISC DI2 9XXX
2017 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0 DI2 9150

Parleeboy

by Parleeboy

Contacted Parlee about the bar, said they're designing a more aero bar for the Rz7. Said they want to do it right, so might take some time, stay tuned. I trust they'll do it proper, I'll upgrade then.

Regardless, the current bar is more oval than round, it's not too bad.

Parleeboy

by Parleeboy

Contacted Parlee about the bar, said they're designing a more aero bar for the Rz7. Said they want to do it right, so might take some time, stay tuned. I trust they'll do it proper, I'll upgrade then.

Regardless, the current bar is more oval than round, it's not too bad.

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

pmprego wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:42 pm

I think the bike looks very nice. What I don't understand is why a company designs an aero bike and then puts a round bar in it. For me it doesn't make sense. It cannot be about confort of round bars I have an Easton aero handlebar and the thing is really confortable to hold. And I do think it looks really really nice too.
If the 360g scott creston ic fit this bike id be in heaven. Almost does but the cable routing is slightly different.

The integrated bar on the ridley noah fast is also super slick.

Im sure parlee will come up with something nice. Gotta remember their target market isnt the 25yo racer bro. Baby steps. I do love easton bars tho.

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

got some more goodies in the mail from the far corners of the earth to tweak the build with.

one thing about the SHIMANO rotors that strikes me as odd is how THICC the damn Spiders are. From an aero standpoint, who wants a 5mm thick 5-arm spider whirring around on the leading edge of the bike???

soo, i found these really trick one-piece Miche brake rotors on Lordgun. they're made by BRAKING, a big name in motorcycle racing, and feature rounded edges. there was actually a net weight gain with dt swiss adapters of 10g front and 8g rear over the ultegra rotors, unfortunately, but it's worth the inevitable aero gains i think. plus, the braking surface is way more substantial than some of the aishima and other TW stuff out there-will probably be easier on the brake pads.

also got some titanium bits from Toronto Cycles (LOVE toronto cycles) to replace all the OE stuff. 50g of steel bolts on the bike. for the calipers, i got some nice, wide, drilled washers to go with the tapered-head bolts.

Last edited by FactoryMatt on Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lugan

by Lugan

Thank you Matt for all the details. It's a really tempting bike, and I considered it alongside a Venge this past September. I ultimately bought a Venge S-Works AXS, and honestly, given the nits detailed in this thread, I am glad I did. The Parlee needs some fine-tuning. Would rather own a Parlee and support that brand, as owning a Specialized for me is not preferable, but the design of the Venge is just incredibly well thought out.

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

Lugan wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:56 pm
Thank you Matt for all the details. It's a really tempting bike, and I considered it alongside a Venge this past September. I ultimately bought a Venge S-Works AXS, and honestly, given the nits detailed in this thread, I am glad I did. The Parlee needs some fine-tuning. Would rather own a Parlee and support that brand, as owning a Specialized for me is not preferable, but the design of the Venge is just incredibly well thought out.
I hear you. Curious, which nits give you pause? I dont want to paint an overly negative picture of the bike.

I also own an sworks crux which is a great race bike but also has its issues. Fork flexes enough to induce rotor rub. Seatpost wedge is prone to slipping. It had silly bb30 cups glued in that i had to hacksaw out. The rear derailleur hanger is flexy. Its literally impossible to get replacement sworks headset bearings for. Its next to impossible to buy a spare fork for. The modular cable stops are really heavy. The frame came in grossly over advertised weight. Still a great bike, but some of the design soured me on spesh. Curious about the design of the venge tho. Ive never worked on one.

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

last little upgrade for the short term, before i get into 12sp DA upgrades later. DA9100 would save maybe 170g. CLX50s would save 120. pretty hard to get this thing below 7.5 as i predicted. 7.8kg on a digital bathroom scale.

Parts of Passion M6 seatpost yokes save 37g over stock upper clamp and steel barrel nuts.

Lugan

by Lugan

FactoryMatt wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:44 pm
Curious, which nits give you pause? I dont want to paint an overly negative picture of the bike.
Hi Matt - Really all five points you listed in your detailed post on page 4 of this topic under "A couple other complaints i guess:". Even before reading your detailed impressions, I was concerned about the geometry chart which, for my size frame, shows a 570 top tube with a 398 reach. No way that combination should be possible given the rest of the geo (I'd expect a 398-ish reach to yield a 575-580 tt). I also found the huge stem and round bars to be odd for an aeor bike, almost like the design team ran out of time and/or money to finish it.

So far, the Venge has shown no flaws to me, though it is early and I acknowlege not tearing it down for analysis as much as you have your RZ7. Handling in all respects is outstanding (and I have some recent great comparables for contrast), and there are design touches like the integrated yet separate bar and stem with texture on the bar tops to grip your forearms in aero mode that I really appreciate. It seems thoroughly thought through to the smallest detail.

by Weenie