Colnago C64 Authenticity + Build Question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

j8heels

by j8heels

First time poster so please excuse some of the basic questions :)

Recently decided to upgrade to a 'super bike' and settled on the Colnago C64 Disc. Could not bring myself to shell out $6,500 for US prices so after extensive research - i went with Cicli Corsa - which seems legit based on what i've read on this forum - and also the fact they are listed as an "Authorized Dealer" by Colnago. After EXTENSIVE review of the frame - it does look legitimate to be - if NOT, they've done an AWESOME job with a fake. Question i have is (1) i've seen a a picture or two that shows the Colnago Serial Number Tag BELOW the Bottom Bracket of the Frame - the one i have has the Serial Number Tag on the Downtube by the Water Cage area and none on the Bottom Bracket - should i be concerned? i seem to have read - Serial Number tags are mostly for frames shipped direct to the USA so given this was from Italy, they might not have bothered with an extra tag? (2) I did register the frame and serial # with Colnago and got an email confirm - but wasn't sure if i had put an invalid Serial Number if they would've confirmed it too? it looked like an automated email confirm.

If anyone has any past experience with Cicli Corsa OR the Serial Number question - would much appreciate your feedback.

Now - on to the Build:

(1) Still debating btwn the 1st generation SRAM e-tap HRD, OR - the Ultegra R8000 component set - part of me is old school and would prefer the Mechanical setup but the SRAM etap is so clean and looks so nice with the Colnago C64 integrated stem system....tough choice!

(2) IF i did go with the Mechanical R8000 - i'd assume the only 'wiring' would be TWO wires? for front and rear derailleurs? and the disc brakes wiring would still be 'hidden/integrated' into the stem/handlebar/frame?

(3) IF i was going with the Mechanical R8000 - i was thinking of goign with the ENVE Aero Road Stem + Handlebars - any one have these and have any strong opinions?

(4) with wheels - can i go with either 6-bolt or center-bolt brake rotors? reason i ask is i'm looking at the Mavic Ksyrium Pro UST and a website has an awesome sale on it but its a 6-Bolt wheelset.....so wanted to make sure its compatible with the C64 disc?

Think these are all the questions i have for now. Any help/comments would be much appreciated!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Seedster

by Seedster

Relax. You have nothing to worry about. Cicli Corsa is a great outfit and authorized colnago dealer. They would not sell counterfeit frames. I have had two C64 framesets and both had the serial number in the water bottle trough.

Problem with mechanical shimano disc is the shifters look really goofy. I would go shimano ultegra di2 disc as I am not a huge fan of sram anything. If you’re C64 is the integrated frameset, you won’t see any cables anyhow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wilwil

by wilwil

I think the early ones had the serial number under the BB but the rivets got in the way of the cable routing so they moved it to the bottle cage trough.

wilwil

by wilwil

Seedster wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:15 pm
Relax. You have nothing to worry about. Cicli Corsa is a great outfit and authorized colnago dealer. They would not sell counterfeit frames. I have had two C64 framesets and both had the serial number in the water bottle trough.

Problem with mechanical shimano disc is the shifters look really goofy. I would go shimano ultegra di2 disc as I am not a huge fan of sram anything. If you’re C64 is the integrated frameset, you won’t see any cables anyhow.

What bottle cages are those?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Early C64’s had the serial number plate underneath on the downtube by the Bottom Bracket. They are now where yours is, in the water bottle trough. It’s legit.
Agree with what Seedster says re mechanical shifting and hydro discs, the levers are kinda fugly, across all the groups.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

AJS914

by AJS914

It seems like fake Colnagos aren't that well done. Small details like the Colnago bottom bracket cups are missing. I wouldn't worry.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/20-colo ... 20076.html

nestornnk

by nestornnk

Cicli Corsa is a nice shop,all frames are genuine Colnago and actually they are based around 20minutes away from Colnago factory.
Nothing to worry about...
They also own Stelbel and the owners are great guys with huge passion for bikes...

frommel

by frommel

I had exactly the same fear when I recently bought my frame from lordgun.com. Pretty sure bike is legit and registration went through the same way yours did.
I went with SRAM AXS though.

gorkypl

by gorkypl

Another vote for Ciclicorsa (had only good experiences with them). And for ugliness of mechanical-hydraulic Ultegra.

IMO the only company that made good-looking mechanical hydro shifters is Campa. So for hydraulics I'd go with Di2 or Campy (actually, I went first with Di2, which I am now selling after 1.5k km - it turned out I don't like the idea of electricity on my bike, so if you would like some barely used groupset in good money...).

As for question 4 - check if you can buy good-looking rotors for 6 bolt. Ultegra/DA/Campy are being made for CL only as far as I am aware.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

Seedster

by Seedster

wilwil wrote:
Seedster wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:15 pm

What bottle cages are those?
They are Blackburn carbon cages. I took some alcohol and removed the branding. I like them because they don’t require spacers and have the cut out to show Colnago’s serial number badging

TimF

by TimF

Just on a personal note (if it bothers you), see if the Ultegra grey actually fits with your bike colours too. The Dura Ace black looked a lot better on my gloss black colnago.

micky

by micky

Cicli Corsa is a legit shop.

j8heels

by j8heels

Thanks Everyone for the Replies! Def have put me at ease with the bike!! Can't wait to build it and FINALLY ride it!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheKaptone

by TheKaptone

j8heels wrote:Thanks Everyone for the Replies! Def have put me at ease with the bike!! Can't wait to build it and FINALLY ride it!!!
Have you got your bike and set it up yet?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk