S-Works Roubaix 2019 (2020) ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

They were working units, the pros just have a different knob to make it easier to see where the adjustment is at at 30mph .

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thePrince

by thePrince

Nefarious86 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:50 am
thePrince wrote: And Di2 has a wired cable, which is more prone to failure. Do I want to wire the entire shifting system, with failure points at each junciton and subject to higher failure during a crash...or a wireless sytem that removes all of that complexity? Ask Sagan recently. And many of the other pros who have experienced this with Di2 and just switch to a different bike from the team. I don't have that.
Wires are no more prone to failure than etap but keep on with that bandwagon lol

Watch PR this weekend? Sagan on mech shifting rather than di2 and Sep losing his podium from di2 issue?

Did Trek have any shifting issues with eTap? I know it's just one race but was certainly costly for Sep.

sethjs

by sethjs

I suspect "crash mode" can get activated too easily on di2 in PR (or when your derailleur gets hit by a water bottle). I went into crash mode once due to chain suck.

First you need to figure out why the bike's not shifting. Then you need to hold the little function button down for 5 seconds. I then needs to cycle all gears on the back. And then it fully functions again.

Net: I suspect di2 + 30mph over cobbles might not be a great combo - unless there's a way to deactivate it for the pros.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I could definitely see the future shock doing it’s thing, at least when Sagan was on the cobbles. I suspect he locked it out as soon as he hit pavement.
It’s damped now, with hydraulics I guess, versus just the spring it had before.
When Niki Terpstra had his bad crash as the steertube broke, (2016 or 2017) it was a hugely embarrassing incident for Specialized because they essentially modified the much touted future shock to be rigid for Terpstra (he didn’t like it), and tried to disguise it with the rubber shroud etc to make it look like he was actually riding it. Then Specialized went into major spin mode, but the damage was done. Fool us once, kinda thing. Hard to forget crap like that.
But this year’s version was not disguised in any way that I could tell and it did appear that the riders were using it to full effect.
Last edited by Calnago on Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Daniel1975

by Daniel1975

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:15 pm
I want to know what kind of vitamins DQS is using rather than what kind of bikes.
[offtopic]Is a mix of Ibarguren vitamins and VanMol ingredients.....
Some of the worst doctors in cycling together with former Mapei team manager. [/offtopic]

hlvd

by hlvd

hlvd wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:13 pm
A first, third and fourth in today's PR, not bad at all.
I got that wrong as I thought Sagan was fourth, 1st, 3rd, 5th, 6th and 8th on a Roubaix, impressive.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

guyc wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:34 am
ChiZ01 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:15 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:10 am
Counterpoint, most people who buy Tarmacs would be better off with a Roubaix.

roubaix's geometry is way too relaxed for most people
I doubt that.
I, rider with 169cm height, for one, is best served with bike that has stack at most 530mm.
Although i more prefer bikes with stack in the range of 510-520mm and some spacers or less aggressive stem angle than -17 degree.
530mm stack and -17 degree stem with no spacer is usable for me.
Now which size of the new Roubaix have stacks lower than 530mm??? Even the size 44 is too tall... taller than Tarmac size 52.

I believe for medium and large sizes, Roubaix's stack may sound fine. But extra tall spring mechanism just make the bike too tall for MOST people.
PS. For most, i mean whole average world population, not just tall fit athletes. Including male and female, Asian, Indian, etc... all that contribute to average people in the world who might interested in riding performance bike. When average female height in most populous countries like India, China are 152-158cm and male is also not so much taller [src], I believe it's acceptable say size 44's stack of 540 is already too tall for MOST people.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

You really have no concept of the practical needs of the average cyclist.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

thePrince wrote:
Nefarious86 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:50 am
thePrince wrote: And Di2 has a wired cable, which is more prone to failure. Do I want to wire the entire shifting system, with failure points at each junciton and subject to higher failure during a crash...or a wireless sytem that removes all of that complexity? Ask Sagan recently. And many of the other pros who have experienced this with Di2 and just switch to a different bike from the team. I don't have that.
Wires are no more prone to failure than etap but keep on with that bandwagon lol

Watch PR this weekend? Sagan on mech shifting rather than di2 and Sep losing his podium from di2 issue?

Did Trek have any shifting issues with eTap? I know it's just one race but was certainly costly for Sep.
Sagan was on mech for shifting feel, not reliability and it was reported that Seps mech was damaged in a one of the crashes, who's to say that a mechanical one would have survived any better?

Using Tapatalk

MRM

by MRM

Anyone have pics of the red Roubaix Expert? The paint seems to look quite sweet in the sun.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

totally agree... the pics I've seen online and instagram make me interested ot see it in person. I've photographed the black Expert and black/reflective comp for Hilltop and I'm hoping they get some of the red expert models in. I was really impressed by the Dura-ace model in person... the bike looks great. The top of the top tube, that appears black, is actually clear coated, raw carbon. It looks great with the dove gray and rocket red. There are also some silver sparkle chevrons in the gray the look great in the sun.

fignonsbarber

by fignonsbarber

Interesting stat over on CyclingNews. Take it for what its worth: At Roubaix, 14 Specialized sponsored riders on Roubaix's with Hell of the North tubs.....zero flats.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

I posted that on the Pro thread a few days ago... truly interesting. Some people were suggesting that its just coincidence, but with all of the flats that struck people last Sunday, to not have even 1 out fo 14 riders seems like more than just luck, that the Hell of the North tires are doing something differently.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I need some HOTN tubeless clinchers
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault