S-Works Roubaix 2019 (2020) ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

1swiftvelo

by 1swiftvelo

Mr.Gib wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 3:23 am
1swiftvelo wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 12:16 am
This is the 2.0 ... and this has a 500 hour life.
:shock: The Future Shock is a $500 consumable? Like a chain, brake pads, etc? If you ride 10 hours per week, you should replace this thing every year? That's nuts.
It is able to be sent back in for service. Most mountain bike forks are 125 hours or once a year. How is this a so awful?

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

1swiftvelo wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 2:15 am
Mr.Gib wrote:
1swiftvelo wrote:
:shock: The Future Shock is a $500 consumable? Like a chain, brake pads, etc? If you ride 10 hours per week, you should replace this thing every year? That's nuts.
It is able to be sent back in for service. Most mountain bike forks are 125 hours or once a year. How is this a so awful?
You didn't say service. That's different. But service for what? Is there some part that needs to be replaced because of wear? What symptoms does the bike show when service is needed? What happens when an owner never services the Future Shock? What is the cost of the service? Regardless, it runs against my personal preference for simplicity in a road bike. Dealing with suspension components from mountain bikes is a whole other mindset.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

1swiftvelo

by 1swiftvelo

Mr.Gib wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 4:27 am
1swiftvelo wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 2:15 am
Mr.Gib wrote:
1swiftvelo wrote:
You didn't say service. That's different. But service for what? Is there some part that needs to be replaced because of wear? What symptoms does the bike show when service is needed? What happens when an owner never services the Future Shock? What is the cost of the service? Regardless, it runs against my personal preference for simplicity in a road bike. Dealing with suspension components from mountain bikes is a whole other mindset.
Most reports mentioned that it serviceable. Will find out for you what the service cost.
If not serviced it will just degrade slowly like a drivetrain on a bike that’s not serviced. Since it’s sealed no outside contamination can occur. It will probably last longer since we’re not pros pushing it to the limit.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Well thanks. It's an interesting thing that owner should know about. If it proves reliable in the long term it's a good feature for people that ride cobbles a lot and it sure would be nice to have on a gravel bike.

Nonetheless, in 5 years Specialized will introduce a new Roubaix that features an advanced carbon layup that provides all the compliance of the Future Shock without the weight and complication of suspension components. They will heavily market the fact that the new Roubaix is lighter and faster as a result of this advanced simplified design.

Whaterver happened to this stuff? Wasn't this supposed to be the future of road bike comfort?
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

Discodan wrote:There was an interesting point on this in the Cycling Tips interview/podcast/advertorial of the new Roubaix, where they were interviewing the engineers who designed the new bike. When asked if Futureshock 2 worked in the previous gen bikes the answer was no, but the reason they gave was that they had not tested it and did not have the time to properly test it in the old frame.

The inference being it fits just fine but they’re not willing to rubber stamp it; whether that is protecting their asses, a genuine desire not to spent money testing old products, or a capitalist consipary to force upgrades is open for diccussion. Over to you

I noticed the same thing. It was an interesting comment. He offers two reasons why it couldn’t be retrofitted. Like you said, because it hadn’t been tested, and he also said it was because Specialized needed all of the quantities being produced to go into new bikes. He never did say it wouldn’t fit.

Give it a couple of months and the supply issue will be a non-issue. But it was disappointing that Specialized doesn’t seem to want to take care of those who bought the bike just last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1swiftvelo

by 1swiftvelo

Mr.Gib wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 3:28 pm
Well thanks. It's an interesting thing that owner should know about. If it proves reliable in the long term it's a good feature for people that ride cobbles a lot and it sure would be nice to have on a gravel bike.

Nonetheless, in 5 years Specialized will introduce a new Roubaix that features an advanced carbon layup that provides all the compliance of the Future Shock without the weight and complication of suspension components. They will heavily market the fact that the new Roubaix is lighter and faster as a result of this advanced simplified design.

Whaterver happened to this stuff? Wasn't this supposed to be the future of road bike comfort?
Listen to the cyclingtips pod cast. They talk about zertzs and what they were trying to accomplish. It’s fantastic on cobbles and even better on gravel.
In 5 years we won’t be talking about, future shox will be old technology left in the dust bin with wooden rims, rim brakes , wool jerseys and riding around with a sew up around your neck.
Technology pushes thing forward some good many bad. I said I would never buy disc brakes boy was I wrong. I live in an area that’s pancake flat.

Stock is good on aftermarket future shoxs

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

Specialized future shock 2.0 is still not available from my dealer. This is very disappointing that they don't make this an easy upgrade for older bikes.
Ride fast Take chances

cerro

by cerro

Alexbn921: That's because you should get a new bike ;)

Jarett

by Jarett

Alexbn921 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:45 pm
Specialized future shock 2.0 is still not available from my dealer. This is very disappointing that they don't make this an easy upgrade for older bikes.
Available in Europe, Czech republic :)
https://www.bikecentrum.eu/detail/kompo ... -stem.html

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

Jarett wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:58 pm
Alexbn921 wrote:
WOW. $700 US dollars. That's insane.
Ride fast Take chances

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Alexbn921 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:26 pm
Jarett wrote:
Alexbn921 wrote:
:unbelievable: More than most people will spend on bicycles in their lifetime.
So what are owners saying so far - does everyone love their futureshock equipped bikes? Works as promised? No issues? Failures?

Jarett

by Jarett

Mr.Gib wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:54 pm
Alexbn921 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:26 pm
Jarett wrote:
Alexbn921 wrote:
:unbelievable: More than most people will spend on bicycles in their lifetime.
So what are owners saying so far - does everyone love their futureshock equipped bikes? Works as promised? No issues? Failures?
Playboy life isn't cheap :D And on my opinion, Future Shock works perfectly.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

I've got the Future shock 1.0 on my Diverge and I like it. It would be nice to be able to lock it out on smooth roads like the 2.0, but otherwise I think it does a good job at absorbing road shocks.

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

I really like my future shock. The roads are quite rough around here and it makes a noticeable difference in comfort and traction. It is worth the weight, but I would like to be able to lock it out. The headset pre-load is wonky, but effective. I also took apart the unit and it has 2 retaining mechanisms so full failure is highly unlikely.
Ride fast Take chances

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cerro

by cerro

The lock-out feature was the thing I thought was the worst with the new Future Shock when I had a Roubaix last summer. Felt the difference locking it on regular Swedish asphalt so kept it open. Didn't bob while doing maxsprints on hard morningrides we did. Wanted to get a Roubaix but didn't end up with one but really loved the open futureshock 2 :)