Direct Drive Trainer Question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

Can a direct drive trainer sit on carpet or should it go on hardwood, granite, etc. I know I’ll need a mat for sweat and grime, but does the platform/surface matter to performance?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Just look at it as if you’re running really fat tires. It’s all the rage now. So comfy.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

Careful running your trainer over your beautiful light colored carpet. Bike chains have a tendency to throw off little bits of grease, crud, wax, etc. and once you get those inside your carpet, they aren't coming out. I like to put a big piece of cardboard under my trainer.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

I use some of that interlockable rubber matting from the hardware stores under my neo from front to back
Never had issues with slip, and it catches the swimming pools I leave on the floor in sweat...

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I use interlocking gym mats also, and put a trainer mat on top of them. It helps make my trainer sink in, preventing it from walking forward during sprint efforts. I have not noticed any loss in recorded power and the extra give is actually appreciated.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

CAAD8FRED wrote:Can a direct drive trainer sit on carpet or should it go on hardwood, granite, etc. I know I’ll need a mat for sweat and grime, but does the platform/surface matter to performance?
The short answer to your question is NO! But all the replies above still apply just the same as a bad idea for the reasons given already.

I had my KICKR on the floor in the garage, then a towel, then a soft rubber mat, and now with a soft rubber mat and a towel to catch the Image Image Image sweat! Works the same in all instances

mattr

by mattr

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:22 pm
I use interlocking gym mats also, and put a trainer mat on top of them.
Same here. I use the trainer mat as the gym tiles i have are pretty cheap and tear easily with cleats. Didn't want expensive stuff in the workshop as it gets all sorts of nasties on it, chain lube, DoT 5.1, mineral oil, brake cleaner, tubeless sealant, copper paste, grease, and i'm not expecting it to last, already got some holes melted in it. If i was walking on it with cleats, it'd already be fit for the bin.

jwalther

by jwalther

Mine sits on an office chair mat over carpet. Works great.
2023 Capitol Bicycles Custom Ti
2019 Felt Breed 30
2013 Co-Motion Supremo when the wife wants to ride

robertbb

by robertbb

jwalther wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:31 am
Mine sits on an office chair mat over carpet. Works great.
+1

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jfranci3

by jfranci3

I put my trainer on carpet with 3 big floor tiles on top of a clear rolling office chair carpet cover on top of the carpet. The tiles are thick tiles, about the size of the trainer's body's footprint. The arms sit on their own tiles. Keeps the carpet clean and gives you some stability while reducing shocks on the bike frame.