Pro stealth, width and depth question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

naylor343

by naylor343

Interested in giving the Pro Stealth saddle a try out. Currently using a large R1 Arione, but it's starting to give me numbness.

I am looking at the steel rail model. I am on a TCR adv SL, so saddle depth/stack is always an issue as I want to avoid trimming the miast if possible.

Measured at the 80mm width point, my R1 measures 49 mm from the bottom of the rail to the saddle top. Can anyone help with the depth of the Pro Stealth bottom of rail to top? I have measured from bottom edge of rail, not centre, to allow for difference between braided carbon and steel rails.

Secondly, my sit bone measurement is 120mm, anyone help on saddle width? Pro website just says get measured in a shop, I would do this but cannot, so will be buying online.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by naylor343 on Wed May 08, 2019 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

naylor343

by naylor343

OK, I found the saddle height from the James Huang review at 45.6mm for the carbon, so even with the slight difference with steel, I am good to go.

Still looking for any advice on the width.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zefs

by zefs

You can use both 142 and 152 wide with that sitbone measurement. Your current saddle is 140 so if you haven't noticed any issues you could go for the 142 Pro stealth.

naylor343

by naylor343

Thanks Zefs, 142mm it is 👍

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

naylor343 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:53 am
OK, I found the saddle height from the James Huang review at 45.6mm for the carbon, so even with the slight difference with steel, I am good to go.

Still looking for any advice on the width.
To me it looks more like 43,5mm in the center of the rails (carbon fibre version).

Switched from an Arione R1 to a 142mm Stealth and it's all good. Shimano's 172g specs are spot on.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Even the narrower Stealth is still massively wide at the nose, so personally I'd say anyone who doesn't absolutely need the wide version should stay narrow.

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

Karvalo wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:50 pm
Even the narrower Stealth is still massively wide at the nose, so personally I'd say anyone who doesn't absolutely need the wide version should stay narrow.
True. But seriously 70%+ in the drops ands more there is no better saddle (S, Prologo et al).

Silenthunter

by Silenthunter

I wanted to know this once too, and I did find it out there searching. But I will measure mine up tomorrow and give you the complete stats. Pro stealth is the perfect saddle for me. The cutout actually works for me where others have generally been worse than no cutout. I have zero issues with it, where any other saddle there is some degree of feeling the ride, during or after.

I can tell you right off the only difference between the two sizes is the width at the wings. The nose widths are identical. I think it is the nose width that makes this saddle work for me. I like wider saddles, and I preferred the 152 over the 142, but ultimately I could do both.

Set up an eBay saved search. There are always people listing their used ones who didn’t like it.

I’ll post all the measurements tomorrow. Btw- I have one (missing the accessory screws) that weighs 171g, and my other one weighs 175g (with the screws). I also have a Chinese knock off, which you can tell was made in the same mold (probably even the same factory), it was $30 and weighs 263g steel rail.

Silenthunter

by Silenthunter

At the point where it is 70 mm wide, that is 100mm from the nose (short nose saddle of course).

15mm from the nose it is 46mm wide
At 50mm wide it is 32mm from the nose
At 60mm wife it is 77mm from the nose
At 70 it is a 100mm from the nose
At 80mm wide it is 113mm from the nose
At the widest point it is 183mm from the nose

The height from the center of the rails to the top is 40mm (I’m going with center because this is the carbon rail version). I lent my steel rail version to a friend to try so I can’t measure it now.

The useable rail portion is 50mm long and begins 100mm from the nose. This is potentially a limiting factor on fit

The cut out is 34.6mm wife at its widest point. 100mm from the nose the cut out is 25mm wide
130mm from the nose the cut out is 31mm wide

I used the 70mm wide reference point to set it up in the same position as my old saddle. But because of the clamp area it ended up further forward. Although on another bike (that also had a different saddle) I have it on it ended up not as far back, so it varies compared to the rail placement on the saddle you are replacing it with.

naylor343

by naylor343

Silenthunter, thanks for taking the time and effort to post such a detailed reply, really appreciate it. All this reinforces my confidence that the stealth will fit without cutting the ISP which is what I was after, it may even need a few mm's of spacers.

As for the rail length, luckily both the ISP topper on my TCR and the seat post on my defy allow you to reverse the clamps giving more or less offset.

Silenthunter

by Silenthunter

No problem. Like I said I was looking for all those stats a few months ago and they were hard to come by.

Yeah I have a propel that I’m still waiting for a third in 152mm to pop up on eBay to put on it. Of all my bikes I didn’t have any problems with setback on the isp clamp. I already had my isp cut too short, I’m using a few spacers. I had raised my saddle height a year after I got it.

naylor343

by naylor343

Silenthunter, thanks again for all the info. So I sat down with the bikes and a tape measure for a bit and by my reckoning i will not be able to get the saddle far enough back by almost 20mm due to the short rails. I will still give it a go, at least the 30 day return policy is in place.

addictR1

by addictR1

I have the Pro Stealth Carbon version in 143mm. The rail is short but worked well for my case. I love it wide in front so when I move forward and ride in the drops, very comfy well supported.

It’s tough at first but after 200 miles of breaking it in, it’s very nice now.

I was originally using the older version of specialized romin EVP pro which is lighter than the newer version. Plus the newer version padding is different from before so I didn’t like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

naylor343

by naylor343

So, saddle arrived this morning, a 142mm. Did not really know how to position, so went for the nose 30mm further back than the arione it was replacing, this required the saddle clamps to be reversed. Trying to match a given point of width on both saddles just meant the Pro would be ridiculously far back. Also I had to raise the height 5mm. As far as tilt I kept the nose level.

First ride out this afternoon I was expecting to be on and off with the allen key, but it was not needed at all. 12km climb from the off and I found instead of having to sit far back with hands on the top as usual, with the pro stealth I was on the front of the saddle, hands on the shifters and more aero position. On the descents I was able to stay on the drops and low down all the time, normally I need to sit up and use the shifters to ease off the pressure occasionally. No real chance to test it out on the flat, but at the moment, it's a keeper👍

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

The funniest thing about this saddle is, you ride uphill, move to the front of the saddle and it feels like you're standing on the pedals. It's strange and amazing. Puzzling but great experience.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com