Fizik Arione vs San Marco Regal Evo

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

coreyaugustus

by coreyaugustus

Right now I'm riding a Fizik Arione 00 on my light bike and I'm fairly happy with it so long as I've got bibs on. Trying to figure out what saddle I want to put on my steel project, which will be used often with just the thin layer of gym shorts or chino pants. I'm contemplating if I should stick with what I know and find a slightly heavier (and maybe thereby softer) Arione R1/R3 or try something different just for the heck of it.

I'm contemplating trying out the Selle San Marco Regal Evo. They look similar-ish, but constructed somewhat differently.

Anyone with experience on both of these saddles, your input is valued.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lewn777

by Lewn777

I think buying a saddle without trying it is prone to failure. So as good as the San Marco Regal Evo might be it may not suit you.
I also have an Arione 00 and I find it to be pretty good so long as the angle is good (1-2 degrees down) and you have good bibs, but it doesn't suit no bib or poor bibs so well.

Most people that like Ariones like Antares, so my suggestion would be to get either an Arione or Antares A5.

dim

by dim

Brooks Cambium C17 Carved
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

coreyaugustus

by coreyaugustus

Lewn777 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:39 am
I think buying a saddle without trying it is prone to failure.
Agreed, so I figured someone who felt similarly about the Fizik might have some insight about the Regal Evo before I go in search. Thanks for the Antares recommendation. Haven't tried those yet; I tried the Arione first based on Fizik's fit predictor tool and was happy on the first try, so I didn't dig deeper into their offerings.
dim wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:29 am
Brooks Cambium C17 Carved
I'm gonna ignore the "carved" part as I've found the cutouts to be generally more uncomfortable than not. But the Brooks Cambium series is also in consideration for similar reasons as the Regal Evo. They appear to have a similar shape. Recommendation noted.

Thanks, guys.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

I had another thought.
What I'd do in your situation is buy a Berk Lupina, as all reports say it is amazing. If it's better than an Arione 00 it can be your main saddle and you'll take over 60g off your bike, if not you've got a great saddle for your steel project and a clear opinion on a saddle with one of the best reputations. Over 200 euros seems like a lot for a saddle, but compared to wheelsets and framesets it's not that much outlay.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

San Marco Mantra FX carbon!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com