Scott Bikes Rim Brake Future

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

I emailed Scott about the future of rim brakes on their bikes and this is the response I got:
Attachments
D08D8A93-8CCD-4A06-88AC-16CC1045383C.jpeg

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

after using mechanical disk for 2 month, there is really no comparison, better modulation, more stopping power, easier to clean, it is the future. also have other advantages of more tire clearance, ease to swap between 700c and 650c wheels. the only downside is the 2 lb extra weight

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robeambro

by robeambro

CAAD8FRED wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:25 pm
I emailed Scott about the future of rim brakes on their bikes and this is the response I got:
I'm not sure how their answer can be seen as weird/controversial/thought-provoking. :noidea:

mattr

by mattr

Mail any manufacturer of any size and you'll get pretty much the same response.

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

robeambro wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:38 pm
CAAD8FRED wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:25 pm
I'm not sure how their answer can be seen as weird/controversial/thought-provoking. :noidea:
Don’t think it was meant to be, I was just putting it out in this forum for people who still like rim brakes

Beaver

by Beaver

ChiZ01 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:31 pm
after using mechanical disk for 2 month, there is really no comparison, better modulation, more stopping power, easier to clean, it is the future. also have other advantages of more tire clearance, ease to swap between 700c and 650c wheels. the only downside is the 2 lb extra weight
So you are running off-road...? On the road it's really not that improvement. More expensive, heavier, less aero for a bit better modulation and braking power (wider tires help more). If you are 100kg, live in the mountains and ride in the rain regulary get disc, but for most people it's just unnecessary.
mattr wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:41 pm
Mail any manufacturer of any size and you'll get pretty much the same response.
Canyon will not develop any new rim brake models... Specialized teams will only ride on disc equipped bikes... Trek and Rose will continue with rim brake development, Shimano also. It's not settled...

mattr

by mattr

So, Canyon will carry on manufacturing and selling rim brake bikes, for the foreseable future.
So will Specialized and Trek and Rose. So pretty much the same response.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

ChiZ01 wrote:
Only two pounds? You know two pounds is usually the difference between a $6K bike and one that costs half that.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

Noctiluxx wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:01 pm
ChiZ01 wrote:
Only two pounds? You know two pounds is usually the difference between a $6K bike and one that costs half that.
most of the weight came from the frameset which is designed for gravel with beefed up 600g fork and 1300g frame, the difference is much less if the frameset weights the same. My old bike has 350g fork and 1000g frame

Lewn777

by Lewn777

After using mechanical and hydraulic disk brakes on motos, MTBs and CX bikes for over 20 years I hate the idea of disk brakes on a road bike. Marketing department driven marginal gains in the wet only.

Direct mount brakes, wheel rim surfaces adn rim brake blocks are still evolving.

I've got Shimano Dua-Ace on DT Swiss alloy rims, disk brakes are not better in the dry, you're just adding weight and complication for absolutely no reason, couldn't ask for better power or modulation. It's the 26inch-to 27.5inch MTB wheel American/Taiwanese manufacturer driven money grab 2.0. Most people shouting loudly for disk brakes are simply suffering from post purchase rationalization or are seeing psychological benefits. Why you'd seek add weight and complication to your bike for such marginal gains is beyond me.

Sorry to be so aggressive in my opinion, but I'm sick of this.

robeambro

by robeambro

Wow, this thread is taking such a novel and interesting spin. I don’t think I’ve ever heard these arguments, they bring such freshness to the discussion.

kgt

by kgt

Following Lews777's post: I wonder, has anyone ever compared a disc brake frame with its rim brake version on alu rims?

Beaver

by Beaver

robeambro wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:29 am
Wow, this thread is taking such a novel and interesting spin. I don’t think I’ve ever heard these arguments, they bring such freshness to the discussion.
Ok, something new: What about an ecological comparison? Is it wrong to presume brake fluid doesn't shine here? Same for electrical drive trains with electric motors and batteries? Rim brakes and mechanical shifting are simply greener! :mrgreen:
kgt wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:29 am
Following Lews777's post: I wonder, has anyone ever compared a disc brake frame with its rim brake version on alu rims?
Tour Mag.: Dry no real difference but a bit better in the wet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

adilosnave

by adilosnave

Although I still don't have disc on my road bike (Chapter 2 Rere with direct-mount DuraAce calipers combined with Exalith rims is pretty good,) it's hard to deny how much easier it is to modulate hydraulic discs. Sure, more hassle to set up with brake fluid and the like but they don't really fall out of adjustment.

But here is what I think is missing. There needs to be a lever on the caliper to open those pads a little bit when their is rotor rub. I don't care if you have thru-axle or not, sometimes there is rub when the clearances are that friggin' tight. Maybe not such a big deal with mountain bikes since there is just so much bashing and bumping along the trail but on a smooth asphalt road? Rotor rub would drive me nuts.

Hey manufacturers, make this a thing!