KMC X12 Chain on Campagnolo 12 speed 50 34

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DaveS

by DaveS

To add something educational - every chain provides the opportunity to gather over 100 data points, if that's what you think is important. Use feeler gauges to measure the clearance between each pair of inner and outer plates. You'll quickly find that to be 0.1 to 0.2mm. Join the chain with the desired quick link, then check the side clearance. If it's in the same range, then it fits. It's not uncommon for a quick link to have slightly more clearance, even if the chain and quick link are the same model. If the clearance is more than 0.25mm, then the clearance is overly large, but it still doesn't mean that chain failure is imminent. More important is that the clearance not be too small. That could cause side stress that could break the end of a pin. Do not use a SRAM AXS link on a Campy chain, since it will have inadequate clearance.

The KMC 12 link is not nearly as good a fit as the SRAM eagle 12, to join a Campy chain, but I've used both with no problem.

When 11 speed first came out, I used Wipperman 10 links on my Campy chains for 2 years and never had a problem, despite the loose fit.
Last edited by DaveS on Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

DaveS wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:30 pm
The above is just uneducated drivel. You're trying to claim that any brand of product other than Campy is inferior, with no data points of your own to support your claim. I've used the SRAM eagle 12 link on four chains now, with no problem. If you want data points, use feeler gauges to check the side clearance between every inner and outer link on a Campy chain, then meaure the clearance at the connection with a SRAM eagle 12 link. You'll find it to be well within the variation between the other links. There's no reason for it not to work.
Thanks for that Dave S.
I have data points but can't share them. My position gives me access to the data on Campagnolo chains that you lack for any chain, other than that which you have generated for yourself from feeler guage measurement. As I pointed out, manufacturers very seldom, if ever, share data on dimensional tolerances and I have signed an NDA which prevents me from doing so, in the case of Campagnolo, for reasons of IP confidentiality.

I am not claiming superiority, if you read what I say - just that there are good reasons to distrust isolated examples of success or failure.
I'm sure in your time you have seen flukey measurements which taken in isolation might support, or give you reason to distrust, a hypothesis. I'd hope that you didn't place too much trust in them.

You have no idea what my technical or educational background are. You are probably making an assumption or assumptions. There's an old saw about that.
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gloucester

by gloucester

Joining this discussion a little late but finding the views here informative and very helpful. Thank you.

I was also looking for a quick link solution for SR 12. If I understood correctly - but please correct me if I have anything wrong here:

- There isn't a quick link designed to work for 12 speed - some people have had some success with SRAM but others report KMC, Wipperman, etc catching on the sprockets in various ways
- Instead, you need to use Campy chain and split/rejoin this with joining pins every time if you want to take the chain off
- Campagnolo recommend splitting a 12 sp chain a maximum of 3 times before replacing

In other words, are we stuck with cleaning the chain on the bike? What about people who use wax?

DaveS

by DaveS

A SRAM eagle 12 link fits quite well with a Campy 12 chain. The KMC link doesn't fit as well.

I also use SRAM AXS chains with Campy 12.

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

I thought this to be very helpul in understanding the topic and how the rivet placement helps as well as the park tool to use for campy

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

gloucester wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 5:02 pm

In other words, are we stuck with cleaning the chain on the bike? What about people who use wax?
In other words, are we stuck with cleaning the chain on the bike?
Do the initial cleaning before you put it on the first time, then acetone in a park tool.

What about people who use wax?
Remove the jockey wheels. Put the crockpot on a stool under the bike. Dip/swish 1/2 the chain, then the other half. More time consuming, but you can clean & lube the jockey wheels at the same time. Next time I do it, I'll post a picture.

DaveS

by DaveS

Acetone is not the best degreasing solvent. Mineral spirits, white gas/naphtha all work better and less likely to damage decals or paint.

What's wrong with using the SRAM eagle 12 quick link? I take my chain off about once every 800km and clean it off the bike. I also swap to a different chain in my rotation.

carbonazza

by carbonazza

DaveS wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 9:04 pm
... I take my chain off about once every 800km...
I use Eagle 12 quick links without problem too. Rotating with 3 waxed chains.
How did you arrive to 800km being the right moment to change? The noise?
I change them every 300km as a mindless habit.

And do you know some signal on when to replace the quick link?

DaveS

by DaveS

carbonazza wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 11:52 pm
DaveS wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 9:04 pm
... I take my chain off about once every 800km...
I use Eagle 12 quick links without problem too. Rotating with 3 waxed chains.
How did you arrive to 800km being the right moment to change? The noise?
I change them every 300km as a mindless habit.

And do you know some signal on when to replace the quick link?
I don't hot wax. I use my own liquid wax lube, reapplied about every 200km, so there is never any noise. Chains do get dirty, so I alternate chains after 3 relubes.

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

joeyb1000 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 8:49 pm
gloucester wrote:

Do the initial cleaning before you put it on the first time, then acetone in a park tool.

Remove the jockey wheels. Put the crockpot on a stool under the bike. Dip/swish 1/2 the chain, then the other half. More time consuming, but you can clean & lube the jockey wheels at the same time. Next time I do it, I'll post a picture.
Attachments
DF5A8491-0A32-4A17-BF90-A0667FA78AEA.jpeg

Yoln

by Yoln

DaveS wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 6:49 pm
A SRAM eagle 12 link fits quite well with a Campy 12 chain. The KMC link doesn't fit as well.

I also use SRAM AXS chains with Campy 12.
Just to be clear, you're using AXS force/Red or AXS eagle? I am about to pull the trigger and try the AXS eagle chain (since I've been using Sram 12s quick link with my campy SR12 chain for 2y now and it works great), but would love to have experience feedback
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

DaveS

by DaveS

Three years ago, I was using the AXS flat top chain with a Campy 12 drivetrain. I used eagle quick links with Campy 12 chains. I have no idea if an eagle chain works with Campy 12, but it shouldn't be a problem.

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

joeyb1000 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 8:49 pm
gloucester wrote:

Moved to wax based lubricants in Jan 21 - degreasing campy chain before installing.
Started off with UFO drip chain and saw considerably less wear than Epic Ride which was considered one of the worst for wear
Cleaning Regime was hot water - pour over chain and catch into bucket - worked pretty well.

The UFO did run gunky for me - i may have been applying too much or not wiping down once applied.

Moved to silica super secret and this seemed to be the right one for me and conditions.
Monitoring wear with a vernier in 3 different sections as per campy's guidance and I'm less than the 132.60mm max (132.2mm after +3000km).
https://www.campagnolo.com/media/files/ ... 21_ENG.pdf

TLDR:Advances in chain lube means i did not have to look for a quick link and used the pin as per campy's OEM guidance and cleaned with boiling water -making sure to protect frame

Yoln

by Yoln

DaveS wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 2:18 pm
Three years ago, I was using the AXS flat top chain with a Campy 12 drivetrain. I used eagle quick links with Campy 12 chains. I have no idea if an eagle chain works with Campy 12, but it shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks Dave,

Did you revert back to using campy chains? What's the reason for that?
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

DaveS

by DaveS

I now have all AXS drivetrains.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com