KMC X12 Chain on Campagnolo 12 speed 50 34

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kdviner70

by kdviner70

I did search but did not see this addressed. I also did not read though all 100+ pages of the Campagnolo 12 speed thread so it might be buried there. KMC says X12 chains are compatible with all 12 speed systems. But, having installed one on my new Super Record groupset, it appears that the chain rubs the inside of the 50 chainring when in the 11 and 12 sprockets. I do see that the pin length on the Campy 12 speed chain is a tiny bit shorter than on the KMC X12. Any thoughts? Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

My thoughts are: what are you doing in the small ring and in the 11 + 12 cogs? It's not unusual to have chains rub the big ring in those combos, I've even heard stories of the chain getting picked up by the big ring's pins. The solution is just use better gear combos.

kdviner70

by kdviner70

Thanks for your input. Perhaps others will provide additional thoughts.
Last edited by kdviner70 on Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

flying

by flying

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Campagnolo-SUP ... 41e90f7bd1

$45 w/free shipping

Not mine but I have bought things from this seller before

kdviner70

by kdviner70

Indeed that is where I bought the Super Record groupset (among many other items).

kdviner70

by kdviner70

You know, I converted from Campy Record 11 speed 12-25. I did not experience any chain rub on the 34 in that case. So, given the upgrade, I did not expect the issue with the Super Record 12 speed with same chainrings. I opted for ease of use with the X12. I simply wondered if using the Campy chain would aleviate part or all of the rubing.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Can I ask why you didn’t go with the Campy 12sp chain from the start? It’s such a critical component of the entire group. Was it the QuickLink? Because there’s a thread somewhere showing that the quicklink does not mesh well with the 11 tooth cog. Anyway, my thoughts are that you should get rid of the KMC chain and use the Campy 12sp chain. Unless you have super short chainstays you should still be able to crosschain at least between the small ring and second smallest cog, although the 50/34 combo does have the most potential for chain rub between the rings. Sure, of course you don’t want to be crosschained as a regular occurrence, but saying to not do that as a workaround for something that should be possible if everything is set up ok is not really solving the issue, although with the intro of 12sp Campy now says to avoid the two extreme crosschain positions (small/small and big/big), whereas they didn’t before. They’ve actually increased the space between the rings by 0.2mm to minimize any chain rubbing on the inner side of the big ring when crossed as above. But yes... things these days are dependent on very fine tolerances, so as a first step I’d for sure get the 12sp chain installed, with 110 links, no more no less, unless your chainstays are longer than 415mm. What frame and chainstay length (if you know) are you using, out of curiosity?
Last edited by Calnago on Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

kdviner70

by kdviner70

Thanks. A VERY helpful response. I will order the Park tool and use the Campy chain. Dogma 65.1. 59 frame size. Yes ease of use. I live in small town in Wyoming where I believe only one other person rides Campy. Local shop is good but I have always (since 1978) done my own work. I have always used Campy chain with quick link type of connector. Looks like (for now) that is out of the question.

gorkypl

by gorkypl

I'd hijack this thread a bit... So there is no way to use Campagnolo 12s chain with quicklink?

I'm just moving to 12s Record from 11s Ultegra - I've used three chains there in rotation, changing and thoroughly cleaning the chain once every 500km, which allowed me to have over 20kkm on one cassette. Is it not possible with Campy? Would be a bummer, especially considering the price of cassete...

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

AJS914

by AJS914

Anything is possible. Is it optimal? Campy would say no and that it may void any warranties.

I used KNC for years on 10 speed Campy. I used knc again when I switched to 11 speed but I never could get it as quiet as I thought it should be. I switched to a campy chain and everything quieted down.

kdviner70

by kdviner70

I have a new Campy 12 speed chain and a new KMC 12 connector. The connector will not fit into the Cmapy chain link by hand. Maybe its just me. Obviously I did not try to force it. I will note that the KMC European site lists a Campy 12 speed connector. When I called KMC USA the don't have them. Still not sure that one on the Euro site would fit the Campy Chain. The pin length on the KMC 12 missing link is a bit longer than on a Campy chain. I 'm going to get a Park tool and go with the Campy chain.

BigPoser

by BigPoser

gorkypl wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:55 pm
I'd hijack this thread a bit... So there is no way to use Campagnolo 12s chain with quicklink?

I'm just moving to 12s Record from 11s Ultegra - I've used three chains there in rotation, changing and thoroughly cleaning the chain once every 500km, which allowed me to have over 20kkm on one cassette. Is it not possible with Campy? Would be a bummer, especially considering the price of cassete...
Campy would tell you that you should never remove one of their chains unless it is to replace it and that you should never use a quick link.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

BigPoser wrote:
gorkypl wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:55 pm

Campy would tell you that you should never remove one of their chains unless it is to replace it and that you should never use a quick link.
No. They’ll just tell you to use a replacement pin. Not rocket science.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

They also say (for the 11s) not to open/close it more than twice. I'd like to know whats the reasoning behind this - I mean, why are 4 pins any worse (less safe) than 3.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Peen it properly. Forget the quicklink. Especially with 12sp stuff, there is no reason to break the chain. With the 11sp, if I wanted to use a different crank, that meant a different length chain. With 12sp and 110 links. It has the capacity to use any of the three crank combos with either the 11/29 or 11/32 cassettes. That is the only reason I would break a chain with 11sp, if I was changing cranks from say a standard 39/53 to a mid (36/52). In my case I would shorten it two links from 110 to 108 links. There is no need to do that with 12sp.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com