Frame size question on a bit long torso

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nthanach

by nthanach

Hello everyone,

I am curious about my torso length, i am 170cm with 80 cm inseam. I have a torso length of 60 cm (this is obtain by subtracting inseam from sternal nothch(140cm). Two of the builders said that I have long torso. I should like the bike with 50-51 cm seat tube and 53.5 to 54.5 top tube.

I am wondering whether the top tube length is too long for my body. I never ride the bike that come with that length of top tube before.

Thank you for your advice

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I have the exact same height and inseam as you. And I ride a bike (custom) with a 54.5cm TT and a 120cm stem. There are a lot of factors involved in determining your TT length besides torso length, such as your saddle setback, your desired stem length, toe overlap, arm length, and most importantly your preferred riding position. But just based on your height and inseam I believe your builder is spot on.

Because this is a WW forum most riders here get a super small frame to save weight and to look ‘pro’. To fit their long torso on a small frame they use an extreme saddle to bar drop so they can get low and aero. On my bike I don’t need an extreme bar drop to get aero because I’m naturally extended and low with a 54.5cm TT and a 120cm stem. To each and his own....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nthanach

by nthanach

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:40 pm
I have the exact same height and inseam as you. And I ride a bike (custom) with a 54.5cm TT and a 120cm stem. There are a lot of factors involved in determining your TT length besides torso length, such as your saddle setback, your desired stem length, toe overlap, arm length, and most importantly your preferred riding position. But just based on your height and inseam I believe your builder is spot on.

Because this is a WW forum most riders here get a super small frame to save weight and to look ‘pro’. To fit their long torso on a small frame they use an extreme saddle to bar drop so they can get low and aero. On my bike I don’t need an extreme bar drop to get aero because I’m naturally extended and low with a 54.5cm TT and a 120cm stem. To each and his own....

Thank you pdlpsher1, I am so glad that you have exactly the same body as me. May I know what is the seat tube length on your custom bike. My builder suggest me 50.8 x 54.5. I am reluctant because I never ever ride this kind of thing before. My bike usually end up with 52.5 to 53cm and I was told that 54.5 is way too long for 170cm as me. The builder said that if i m not confortable with the offer, i can go with their standard size of 50x52.5. What do you think? Do yoo think I can just same the stem length on my current bike from 90 to 110 to see the different? I am plainging to use 90 stem with the new bike and saddle setback maybe zero degree. This one going to be long and confortable riding bike.

Thank you very much for the advise

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I have a short ST because I have a 13 degree TT slope. So my ST length is not relevant to your case. BUT since you mentioned that this is a comfort bike, a sloping TT will give you more exposed seatpost, which allows flex and comfort on long rides. I have the Canyon ‘split’ seatpost and it needs a minimum exposed length to work properly. My bike is super comfy. It sounds like you might need the same bike as me if you don’t mind the look of a sloping TT, haha.

I have to run to breakfast but I can give you more info about my bike later.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Here’s my low (80mm BB drop!) and long rider. We are all different and have different needs. It’s good to have choices Image. GL with your custom build.

nthanach

by nthanach

Thank you for all the info, I think I will go with 54.5 long as framebuildfer suggested,

none

by none

What type of riding do you plan on doing most with this custom frame?
Long hours in the saddle centuries?
Crit. racing or time trials? longer distance stage racing or hill climbs?
Do you prefer quick handling or relaxed angles that allow easier riding with no hands?
All above can affect how you want your bike to fit you.

sychen

by sychen

I'm the same height.. Slightly shorter Inseam 67cm. Not sure of actual torso measurements.. But ride a 52cm tarmac sl6 on 90mm stem and a 42cm aerofly2 bar...

700mm seat to bb.. Time Xpro pedals and selle iltalia sp01 saddle (different stack/padded saddles made a diff).

Seems to fit me well..

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

talltales

by talltales

nthanach wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:47 pm
Hello everyone,

I am curious about my torso length, i am 170cm with 80 cm inseam. I have a torso length of 60 cm (this is obtain by subtracting inseam from sternal nothch(140cm). Two of the builders said that I have long torso. I should like the bike with 50-51 cm seat tube and 53.5 to 54.5 top tube.

I am wondering whether the top tube length is too long for my body. I never ride the bike that come with that length of top tube before.

Thank you for your advice
If you have short legs, you likely have short arms as well.

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:47 pm
Here’s my low (80mm BB drop!) and long rider. We are all different and have different needs.
Great bike.

AJS914

by AJS914

nthanach wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:08 pm
Thank you for all the info, I think I will go with 54.5 long as framebuildfer suggested,
Before you make a mistake, I'd recommend that you set up your current bike with the same total reach.
Two of the builders said that I have long torso. I should like the bike with 50-51 cm seat tube and 53.5 to 54.5 top tube.
How did the builders come to this conclusion? Have you had a professional fit?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nthanach

by nthanach

AJS914 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:12 pm
nthanach wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:08 pm
Before you make a mistake, I'd recommend that you set up your current bike with the same total reach.
Two of the builders said that I have long torso. I should like the bike with 50-51 cm seat tube and 53.5 to 54.5 top tube.
How did the builders come to this conclusion? Have you had a professional fit?
How to set up the current bike to be the same total reach as the new one? Can i just change the stem length and see how it goes?
For example, I have a De Rosa Idol size 49, with Effective TT of 52.9 with 110 stem, will it be the same with 54.5 with 90 mm stem?

The builder come up from my inseam and my sternal notch height.

Thank you very much