Are We Getting A New Cannondale Supersix?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Beancouter

by Beancouter

The 3m tape doesn’t go there.. it is between the captive nut and the frame - see my earlier post.

I have ridden mine a couple of times since cannondale gave me a new clamp with the 3m tape and all good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wenne

by Wenne

S6ED wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:01 pm
Wenne wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:43 pm
Hexsense wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:28 pm
Wait, no.
That surface touch the seatpost which has to slide up and down when you adjust seat height. Why would you 3M tape it???
I only need to tape down part number 5, (as per instruction) to remove all the noise from my set-up. I use gorilla double sided tape which is thicker than 3M double sided tape though.
single sided tape !!!
Aha! So less slippage.

Does it work, have you tried it?
it works great ...

by Weenie

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

On other wedge bikes Silca style tubeless tape also works at the leading tip of the seatpost to quell knocking. Thin and durable.

DaiD

by DaiD

Hi everyone,

I've had my Gen 3 SS since July 2019, done 10,600km on it. It's the Ultegra model with some upgrades I put on to get the weight down to 7.35kg.

I've had a few experiences on it that I wanted to find out if anyone else identifies with and/or knows a remedy for. The ride quality is immense, I love it, just as comfort is superb, speed etc etc. Descending is also good, but it's pretty damn scary on really fast, steep descents. It's like I'm borderline out of control on it, so I'm braking a lot of the way down. There's been maybe 6 or 8 experiences like this over the last 1+ year, which isn't much but it really damages confidence.

I had a Felt F1 previously and I never felt out of control like I do on the SS. Any ideas? Thanks!

req110

by req110

Beancouter wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:56 am
Wenne wrote:CANNONDALE SUPERSIX EVO INTERNAL SEAT BINDER, K26030
When does Cannondale make a new one ? mine is still making noise ...
I have been told there isn’t a new one.. that said, I have a replacement coming to me under warranty. I will check to see if there is any difference.

One important thing to check is that the mount has been fitted with the 3m double sided pad (see 6 below). Mine wasn’t supplied with it. Install pictures sent to me by cannondale below...Image

I have contacted dealer + distributor and requested them for
5. Nut Base + 6. Pressure Sensitive Adhesive Tape

I hope they will behave normally and provide these parts to me.

I have tried to put some other 3m doubleside tape by cutting few small pieces with scalpel, but the shape is not good, and the nut base is always rotated once i tighten the seatpost. The creak comes back soon.

Any suggestion how to make own "6 Pressure Sentitive Adhesive Tape" home?

Wenne

by Wenne

req110 wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:59 pm
Beancouter wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:56 am
Wenne wrote:CANNONDALE SUPERSIX EVO INTERNAL SEAT BINDER, K26030
When does Cannondale make a new one ? mine is still making noise ...
I have been told there isn’t a new one.. that said, I have a replacement coming to me under warranty. I will check to see if there is any difference.

One important thing to check is that the mount has been fitted with the 3m double sided pad (see 6 below). Mine wasn’t supplied with it. Install pictures sent to me by cannondale below...Image

I have contacted dealer + distributor and requested them for
5. Nut Base + 6. Pressure Sensitive Adhesive Tape

I hope they will behave normally and provide these parts to me.

I have tried to put some other 3m doubleside tape by cutting few small pieces with scalpel, but the shape is not good, and the nut base is always rotated once i tighten the seatpost. The creak comes back soon.

that is the solution !!!
Attachments
4818D68D-D759-48B7-A997-A1337C457B1E.jpeg

Hexsense

by Hexsense

req110 wrote:

I just cut double sided tape with scisor. I start by cutting similar shape to part number 5 without center hole. Then fold the tape in half and cut half circle to make the center hole symetrical-ish when I unfold.
My tape is actually wider than part number 5, but it doesn't matter. As long as it does the job of stopping part number 5 from rotating, it's fine.
PS. my gorilla tape is also way thicker than 3M double sided tape. Again, it doesn't seems to matter, as long as it does the job.

S6ED

by S6ED

DaiD wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:14 pm
Hi everyone,

I've had my Gen 3 SS since July 2019, done 10,600km on it. It's the Ultegra model with some upgrades I put on to get the weight down to 7.35kg.

I've had a few experiences on it that I wanted to find out if anyone else identifies with and/or knows a remedy for. The ride quality is immense, I love it, just as comfort is superb, speed etc etc. Descending is also good, but it's pretty damn scary on really fast, steep descents. It's like I'm borderline out of control on it, so I'm braking a lot of the way down. There's been maybe 6 or 8 experiences like this over the last 1+ year, which isn't much but it really damages confidence.

I had a Felt F1 previously and I never felt out of control like I do on the SS. Any ideas? Thanks!
Interesting. What do you mean, you're out of control? Speed wobbles? Does this out-of-control situation happen in straights or in hairpins or where and how exactly? When you say fast, how fast is that? What size is your frame? And what's your wheelset?

Hexsense

by Hexsense

DaiD wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:14 pm
but it's pretty damn scary on really fast, steep descents. It's like I'm borderline out of control on it, so I'm braking a lot of the way down. There's been maybe 6 or 8 experiences like this over the last 1+ year, which isn't much but it really damages confidence.

Bike size?
If it is size 44, 48, 51 the trail value is likely lower (meaning, faster handling) than bikes of the same size from other brands.
For larger sizes, it is possible that the geometry encourage you to sit more toward front of the bike rather than further back. Have you check your position (in relation to bb) between two bikes?

hannawald

by hannawald

DaiD: F1 geometry is much lower at the front end so it is hard to say, what is your position on both bikes. Do you use same tires?

DaiD

by DaiD

Thanks for the replies!

It's a 54 - to get it as low as I need I've got a -17 120mm stem, no spacers. Tires are 23mm GP5000 clinchers, so no massive difference to what I was using on the F1 [GP4000 in 23mm]. It's hard to describe, I feel a bit detached from it on straights, around 70kph+. Now that you ask actually, I don't feel 100% connected round corners like I used to on the F1. Unfortunately the F1 is gone so I can't check the position, but I thought that as the wheelbase is longer it would feel more stable??

Mr. A

by Mr. A

I also ride a supersix evo HM in size 54. I think the geometry takes some time to get use to. In the beginning I found the bike not that confident in the wet or on cobbles. I had the feeling that the bike was going it's own way rather then me controlling where it should go. Especially on cobbles I found that the bike had a "springy" feel as if was disconnected from the road. In the wet I had the feeling that the front wheel would slide under me when taking corners, allthough this never happened!

Experimenting with my position and installing a 1 cm longer stem (11cm) and zero setback seatpost helped me a bit to better feel and understand the bike. The biggest change was a changes of the wheelset however. I changed the HG35 carbon wheelset with a DT swiss PR1400 set (with the same GP5000 25 clinchers) and immedialty felt that the bike was snappier and more responsive, while also more stable on the cobbles.

In the end the 11cm stem was too long, so now I'm back on the 10cm stem but I kept the zero setback seatpost. I also sometimes ride the HG35 wheels again (although I'm still thinking to relace the front wheel to 2x both left and right instead of 2:1 patern). All these changes somehow helped me to better understand how this bike reacts and during this process I gained more confidence in how it handles and started to appreciate it.

req110

by req110

Hexsense wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:26 pm
req110 wrote:

I just cut double sided tape with scisor. I start by cutting similar shape to part number 5 without center hole. Then fold the tape in half and cut half circle to make the center hole symetrical-ish when I unfold.
My tape is actually wider than part number 5, but it doesn't matter. As long as it does the job of stopping part number 5 from rotating, it's fine.
PS. my gorilla tape is also way thicker than 3M double sided tape. Again, it doesn't seems to matter, as long as it does the job.
Trying this with 3M vhb, wish me luck.
Attachments
Capture.JPG

spud

by spud

I haven't bothered to look at a geo chart, but as I recall, the 54 has a longer front center than the 56. Net effect is to put less weight on the front wheel, which can lead to overly light steering/lack of stability. The solution of using a zero set back post and longer stem seems like an appropriate means of compensation, provided you can still feel like you are settled "into" the bike, rather than perched on top of it.

Aero wheels will also have potentially strong effect - different depths and especially shapes will have different yaw moments when steering (and introducing yaw to the front end), in addition to different abilities to deal with transient air flows. This is all strictly theoretical, and I cannot offer practical advice as to which wheels to use. Though I'd hazard a guess that wheels that do well on Hambini's aero test tend to be more able to deal with transience and therefor, are a decent starting point for experimentation.

by Weenie

Hexsense

by Hexsense

spud wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:07 pm
I haven't bothered to look at a geo chart, but as I recall, the 54 has a longer front center than the 56. Net effect is to put less weight on the front wheel, which can lead to overly light steering/lack of stability.
On my size (48) it has the same extended front center geometry and having the same effect on front-rear weight balance. But it is a positive effect for me.
My position is always pretty far forward on the bike. Before SSevo, I usually have to slide body rearward before each hard corner. So I Ioad my rear wheel more and don't lose my rear wheel in the corner. With SSevo, I don't have to do it anymore, my rear wheel stay planted. Even sprinting in rain feel more planted. With rearwheel stay more in place rather than sliding left and right.

So, if this is the case of weight balance issue. DaiD should try to play with saddle set-back.