Are We Getting A New Cannondale Supersix?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
hannawald

by hannawald

Yeah, i wouldn't change T47 for 100g. If i want i can always change light stock bb for some bb infinite one, reliable but heavier.

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

Dan Gerous wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:14 pm
WorkonSunday wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:52 am
by the way, i noticed the e-bike version of supersix the "Neo" started to use T47 bottom bracket. my first thought was that may be they need this for for e-bike motor/chainline spec, but then i spotted they even have a T47 hollowgram crank. i doubt cannondale will start a new spec for their crank just for e-bike, so i would imagine the next batch of supersix non-e-bike will switch to T47 too.
Adding 100 grams is a non-issue for an e-bike so T47 makes sense there, easier to install, theorically less maintenance (something I'm guessing e-bikes owners will barely do)... makes less sense for a human powered race bike, some people would cry for less added weight than that! :mrgreen:

T47 is just a BB interface, how the BB mates to the frame, it doesn't change the crankset as the Neos just use a T47 BB for BB30 30mm spindles, it's just a normal Hollowgram.
both are 30mm, yes, but the supposed standard width of T47 is wider than BB30a, more suited to wider axle like shimano, campy and other 386 cranks. having said that, the desing of hollowgram cranks means it's probably just a new axle rather than full-on new design.
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:

by Weenie

S6ED

by S6ED

WorkonSunday wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:53 am
Dan Gerous wrote:
WorkonSunday wrote:
by the way, i noticed the e-bike version of supersix the "Neo" started to use T47 bottom bracket. my first thought was that may be they need this for for e-bike motor/chainline spec, but then i spotted they even have a T47 hollowgram crank. i doubt cannondale will start a new spec for their crank just for e-bike, so i would imagine the next batch of supersix non-e-bike will switch to T47 too.
Adding 100 grams is a non-issue for an e-bike so T47 makes sense there, easier to install, theorically less maintenance (something I'm guessing e-bikes owners will barely do)... makes less sense for a human powered race bike, some people would cry for less added weight than that! :mrgreen:

T47 is just a BB interface, how the BB mates to the frame, it doesn't change the crankset as the Neos just use a T47 BB for BB30 30mm spindles, it's just a normal Hollowgram.
both are 30mm, yes, but the supposed standard width of T47 is wider than BB30a, more suited to wider axle like shimano, campy and other 386 cranks. having said that, the desing of hollowgram cranks means it's probably just a new axle rather than full-on new design.
Is not T47 of variable width? It's just a threaded sleeve. I suppose it can be made to fit 73mm or even 68mm width BBs, so that the Hollowgram axle can remain unchanged.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

S6ED wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:49 am
WorkonSunday wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:53 am
Dan Gerous wrote:
WorkonSunday wrote:

Is not T47 of variable width? It's just a threaded sleeve. I suppose it can be made to fit 73mm or even 68mm width BBs, so that the Hollowgram axle can remain unchanged.
Yes, T47 are just two independent screw-on bearing cups, that's it. They can be made to fit whatever width you need.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

But people keep calling Trek's T47 as Trek47 as it apperantly is 1mm narrower than ChrisKing's preferred T47 shell width...

S6ED

by S6ED

@ Dan Gerous

Dan, given that you've owned and tried both the previous and the latest Evo, do you agree with the critique (regarding front end feel or lack thereof) in this review?

https://granfondo-cycling.com/cannondal ... 20-review/

nottyfruit

by nottyfruit

Hi
There are lots of you here who own the 2020 SS Evo for a while now and i'd like to get your feedback. i'm considering getting one.
Couple of days back i tried a friend's and was surprised at the feedback from the ride. There was a lot of chatter/vibration from coming from the front end, it was unsmooth tarmac but it wasn't horrible road. i thought from all the reviews i've read said that this was a very comfortable bike. Tires used were Conti GP5000 on DT Swiss 47mm profile rim and pressure was aroudn 90psi.
Thought maybe it was the tire pressure and also because it was a HiMod version so i tried the non HiMod with Schwalbe Pro One tubeless on Light Bicycle 38mm profile rim inflated at 60psi but i was still getting the same kind of feedback. Maybe a small margin less.
Anyone care to comment? Dan Gerous? How else can i lessen the chatter/vibration?
i'm quite disappointed actually because i really love the look of the bike and also it has the best geometry suited to me.
I'm gutted.
Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer advice.

hannawald

by hannawald

I was able to get my Evo sub 6,5 kgs with 46mm clinchers and normal 25mm Conti 5000 tires. Not many disc brake bikes would achieve that. Comfort is fine for a race bike, especially the geometry is nicely high for this kind of bike. It is more comfortable than my previous Oltre XR4 Disc..its handling is very fast..my only gripe is that it is not a silent bike:( riding uphill it makes creaks, it used to be seatpost, now maybe something else..
Some people have problems with fitting 12 speed rear cassette, i have a problem fitting some hubs into front fork..obviously manufacturing quality not so good:( but riding quality is great.

S6ED

by S6ED

hannawald wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:13 pm
I was able to get my Evo sub 6,5 kgs with 46mm clinchers and normal 25mm Conti 5000 tires. Not many disc brake bikes would achieve that. Comfort is fine for a race bike, especially the geometry is nicely high for this kind of bike. It is more comfortable than my previous Oltre XR4 Disc..its handling is very fast..my only gripe is that it is not a silent bike:( riding uphill it makes creaks, it used to be seatpost, now maybe something else..
Some people have problems with fitting 12 speed rear cassette, i have a problem fitting some hubs into front fork..obviously manufacturing quality not so good:( but riding quality is great.
6.5 kg complete with pedals, bottle cages, and sensor(s)? Impressive! What size is it? Could you post a couple of pics?

hannawald

by hannawald

Picture with img in brackets doesn't work for me so here the link:
https://ibb.co/nRjxByJ

Hope it works:) it's supersix size 56 hi mod on Dura Ace Di2 with Farsports bars, SISL2 cranks (left 4iiii), PYC SP1101 chain, sram red 11-30 cassette, lizzard skins tape, Conti 5000, Tubolito S-tubo masked with black electric tape (the only real weightweenie part - with this it is 6.4 kgs), SLR Boost saddle, CarbonTi hubs, CX Rays, LightBicycle 46 mm rims (lighter - 415g each), XTR 160/140 rotors, stock seatpost, headset, expander, Sigeyi direct mount hanger, Speedplays with chinese Ti axles and bows, cages are some chinese ones 7g each. That's it I guess..

S6ED

by S6ED

hannawald wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:23 pm

Picture with img in brackets doesn't work for me so here the link:
https://ibb.co/nRjxByJ

Hope it works:) it's supersix size 56 hi mod on Dura Ace Di2 with Farsports bars, SISL2 cranks (left 4iiii), PYC SP1101 chain, sram red 11-30 cassette, lizzard skins tape, Conti 5000, Tubolito S-tubo masked with black electric tape (the only real weightweenie part - with this it is 6.4 kgs), SLR Boost saddle, CarbonTi hubs, CX Rays, LightBicycle 46 mm rims (lighter - 415g each), XTR 160/140 rotors, stock seatpost, headset, expander, Sigeyi direct mount hanger, Speedplays with chinese Ti axles and bows, cages are some chinese ones 7g each. That's it I guess..
Very nice! Weight is quite impressive! Do you perhaps know the weight of your wheelset?

hannawald

by hannawald

Wheelset is 1330g, it has no nipple hole rim bead so i don't need rim tape.
My goal was UCI illegal, so mission accomplished. If tubolitos don't work for me, i will put there light tubes/latex and still be around 6.5 kgs.
Honestly right now I don't know what to upgrade:) my friend told me i should put there heavier wheelset based on video from Swiss Side but i can manage that using heavier tires:)

S6ED

by S6ED

hannawald wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:47 pm
Wheelset is 1330g, it has no nipple hole rim bead so i don't need rim tape.
My goal was UCI illegal, so mission accomplished. If tubolitos don't work for me, i will put there light tubes/latex and still be around 6.5 kgs.
Honestly right now I don't know what to upgrade:) my friend told me i should put there heavier wheelset based on video from Swiss Side but i can manage that using heavier tires:)
Why would you want a heavier wheelset? For UCI races?

Are these rims tubeless compatible?

You could go for a lighter saddle but you're already light enough!

S6ED

by S6ED

by Weenie

hannawald

by hannawald

I am far from racing:) It is in the video mentioned in the road wheel thread..basically heavier wheels according to Swiss Side don't lose much to lighter ones because after accelerating them they keep the energy so the speed for longer..unless you need to brake of course..so they say it's often better to decide for more aero wheels (deeper and heavier) because higher weight doesn't matter that much and aero will make you faster.

Rims are tubeless compatible but i went back from tubeless to tubes. With light tubes and Conti 5000 rolling resistance is similar and it is much cleaner. I know guys with sealants and they just added sealant from time to time and after a while they had excess weight there..everybody lazy to clean regularly:) now they bought tools to better measure amount of liquid in the tire without having to disassamble tires. I was not lucky sealing my Hutchinson Galactiks without substantial pressure loss when i punctured them 2 times so i decided for tubes. I know i was on too light tires probably but don't have a need for tubeless mess..

Rims are Light Bicycle 46mm/28 external/21 internal. I had the rims done without holes for nipples in rim bead (a la Campagnolo) and slightly lighter than normal version by adding T800 carbon fiber. (Basically i asked them for extralight version and this was a compromise based on my weight and requests they offered to me for this rim)