Are We Getting A New Cannondale Supersix?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Jackofallgrades

by Jackofallgrades

hernejj wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:57 pm
hernejj wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:40 pm
Now... onto the NEXT challenge... Fishing the rear derailer di2 cable through the internal routing channel in the chainstay. There is some chokepoint in there seemingly about 2-3 inches from the bottom bracket. I can fit a tiny wire through but NOT a di-2 cable head. Has anyone succesfully done this?

So apparently posting here is the secret to solving all my own problems :) I managed to stuff a tiny boroscope up into the bottom bracket area. This allowed me to see exactly what was happening. Turns out there is enough room for the di2 cable here. You just need to rotate the cable and keep pushing until it lines up with the hole it needs to pass through. I actually used a piece of hydraulic brake housing to fish the di2 wire throug here, with the help of my boroscope. Here is a picture of the chokepoint.

I suffered with this point as well for at least half an hour... bending the cable a bit at the end helped find its way through eventually!
Cannondale SSEvo3 'Agaaaaaaaavé' - 8.0kg
...Work in Progress

TomSte

by TomSte

I can totally recommend using the Park Tool IR1.2 internal routing tool. With this tool it is easy to lead all cables through the frame within seconds, especially routing the di2 wire through the tiny realm at the top tube isn't a challenge any longer.

by Weenie

Karvalo

by Karvalo

hernejj wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:53 am
Now that I've thought about it more, I suspect the top cap really does provide headset preload., just like most top caps. I just need to loosen my stem (and Knot spacer set screw) and try tightening the top cap first.
At this point I'd strongly recommend taking the bike to a mechanic before you ride it. It's cool that you're building it yourself - but what you've just written about is really basic, fundamental principles of how a bike works. It shouldn't be a stumbling block that you need to figure out.

Discodan

by Discodan

TomSte wrote:I can totally recommend using the Park Tool IR1.2 internal routing tool. With this tool it is easy to lead all cables through the frame within seconds, especially routing the di2 wire through the tiny realm at the top tube isn't a challenge any longer.
Even with a internal routing tool I lost a di2 cable to that chain stay pinch point; not surprising now that I've seen the photo of what's in there. The head of the routing tool and the top of the cable are still in there, luckily I managed to get the cable through what must be the second hole in the picture.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

hernejj

by hernejj

Helpful tip. The carbon Seatpost for the 2020 SuperSix is bevered/chamfered at the very end. This causes the DI2 battery wire to SNAG between the beveled post and the bke frame when you try to push the seatpost down. I solved this problem with 2 wraps of electrical tape at the very end of the post. It is IMPORTANT that you only wrap the last 1-2 mm of post, the part with the bevel only. If you wrap the post using the entire width of the tape then the tape will cause your post to bind up and not insert fully. You can fold the extra tape over and around the end of the post/battery.

flashpunk

by flashpunk

Farsports bar/stem combo just came!

Managed to find a wahoo replacement mount from an old kedge mount that worked in the out front mount as well.

ImageImage

hernejj

by hernejj

hernejj wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:35 am
Helpful tip. The carbon Seatpost for the 2020 SuperSix is bevered/chamfered at the very end. This causes the DI2 battery wire to SNAG between the beveled post and the bke frame when you try to push the seatpost down. I solved this problem with 2 wraps of electrical tape at the very end of the post. It is IMPORTANT that you only wrap the last 1-2 mm of post, the part with the bevel only. If you wrap the post using the entire width of the tape then the tape will cause your post to bind up and not insert fully. You can fold the extra tape over and around the end of the post/battery.
So this setup seemed to work great the first 3 times I pulled the post. Now that I've fit eveyhting else and removed the post to fit the forgotten rubber seat post seal, the di2 wire is binding the post up again on reinsertion. Back to the drawing board I guess....

UPDATE: Upon closer inspection, now I think the problem is that the wire is getting piched between the seatpost and the opening/hole for the seatstays!! Just need to figure out how to keep that wire out of there.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Not sure how I feel about those plastic steerer shims.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

hernejj wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:06 am
hernejj wrote:
So this setup seemed to work great the first 3 times I pulled the post. Now that I've fit eveyhting else and removed the post to fit the forgotten rubber seat post seal, the di2 wire is binding the post up again on reinsertion. Back to the drawing board I guess....

UPDATE: Upon closer inspection, now I think the problem is that the wire is getting piched between the seatpost and the opening/hole for the seatstays!! Just need to figure out how to keep that wire out of there.
Cross post from a post for that exact issue someone has on a Synapse:

On the Synapse, I found tilting the bike forward makes it easier to insert the seatpost, it helps the wedge stay forward and out of the way and the Di2 wire not pinching itself between the back of the seatpost and the inside of the seat tube, I suspect it might also help on the new Evo, both to make sure the wedge stays put but also so the wire doesn't get caught in the space where the seat stays start.

An idea could be to cut a bit of plastic out of a soda or water bottle (easily cut, light and just stiff enough to stay straight) and stick it behind the battery, sandwiched between it and the inside of the post, and leaving it long enough to extend below the end of the post to prevent the wire to get pinched.

hernejj

by hernejj

Dan Gerous wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:38 pm
hernejj wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:06 am
hernejj wrote:

Cross post from a post for that exact issue someone has on a Synapse:

On the Synapse, I found tilting the bike forward makes it easier to insert the seatpost, it helps the wedge stay forward and out of the way and the Di2 wire not pinching itself between the back of the seatpost and the inside of the seat tube, I suspect it might also help on the new Evo, both to make sure the wedge stays put but also so the wire doesn't get caught in the space where the seat stays start.

An idea could be to cut a bit of plastic out of a soda or water bottle (easily cut, light and just stiff enough to stay straight) and stick it behind the battery, sandwiched between it and the inside of the post, and leaving it long enough to extend below the end of the post to prevent the wire to get pinched.
Dan, Thank you very much :) I like this solution! I'll give it a try before resorting to something more drastic.

cerro

by cerro

hernejj wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:57 am
I picked up a 2020 SuperSix (105 disc) from the bike shop today. I immiedately disassembled it for a complete re-build (di2, mavic wheels, SRAM Red BB30 cranks, 3T stem/bars). One problem I'm having at the moment though is that I cannot seem to get all the wobble out of the fork/headset. Does anyone know what mechanism provides headset tension? The top cap seems to be for looks only as it does not appear to rovide any tension at all.
Size? Weight?

Built mine up yesterday.

Size 51 frame from 105 version was 1017 incl seatclamp, derailleur hanger, bottle cage bolts and bottom bracket cups. 1066g incl bb too. 420g for the fork cut for just a 5mm spacer extra.
Will take some pictures when I can daytime :)
/jonas l
http://cerrol.wordpress.com (my cyclingblog)

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

cerro wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:36 pm
Built mine up yesterday.

Size 51 frame from 105 version was 1017 incl seatclamp, derailleur hanger, bottle cage bolts and bottom bracket cups. 1066g incl bb too. 420g for the fork cut for just a 5mm spacer extra.
I've seen some teasing pictures this week, can't wait to see it! :thumbup:

My pile of components to build one myself is starting to grow. :mrgreen:

hernejj

by hernejj

cerro wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:36 pm
hernejj wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:57 am
I picked up a 2020 SuperSix (105 disc) from the bike shop today. I immiedately disassembled it for a complete re-build (di2, mavic wheels, SRAM Red BB30 cranks, 3T stem/bars). One problem I'm having at the moment though is that I cannot seem to get all the wobble out of the fork/headset. Does anyone know what mechanism provides headset tension? The top cap seems to be for looks only as it does not appear to rovide any tension at all.
Size? Weight?

Built mine up yesterday.

I'll post pictures and a final weight when it is complete. :) We're getting close!! I still need to choose matching (red/black) bar tape and cages. At the moment I'm working on FD/RD adjustment, greasing and torqing everything down to spec. This is my first time with di-2 and it is taking me a bit to learn the ropes.

flashpunk

by flashpunk

Got my farsports bar installed!

Rohel

by Rohel

flashpunk wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:53 am
Got my farsports bar installed!

Can you post a few more pics in different angles please?

by Weenie