Are We Getting A New Cannondale Supersix?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Det

by Det

ccparkhill wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:22 am
I noticed some cheap direct mount hangers on Ali Express, anybody tried them?
https://a.aliexpress.com/_uxSxqN
Don't ever order stuff from Ali without any reviews. Also, note that the reviews are overinflated, so most are 4+ stars. The actual rating is after the "4" on a scale of 1-10, so e.g. 4.5 stars = 5/10. Never buy anything of 4.0 stars, lower or no rating at all. Always read the reviews, especially the negative ones, in case they affect you.

Also, even though the shop's rating is "above average" in all 3 categories, try to look for shops with at least 1.5 years experience or so, if really ordering non-rated products (last resort). One of the best practices is to always sort your search by a number of orders, and pick the product with the highest rating and at least 100+ reviews.

caballero

by caballero

mattharrop wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:53 am
I've picked up a 2020 Hi Mod and had some seatpost slipping issues recently but were fixed on yesterday's ride. This morning a very small crack in the paint. Something to be concerned about? Perhaps overtightening?
Mine has a similar mark around the binder. Mine came like that when I bought it and it's still unridden and the post torqued to 6nm.
How are others looking at that location ?

I'm not very impressed if my new frames already cracked without being ridden.
Attachments
575551F4-66AA-4B3A-9073-C09E05E89FB2.jpeg
1B6B1578-A5DE-4761-A2C5-7E84AEA16308.jpeg
4AFA14F3-DC44-494A-9DA0-E4237A9F0485.jpeg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Det

by Det

Discodan wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:17 pm
I've run measured 32mm with no problems at all, at the time I measured the clearance and IIRC it was 4mm on each side at the tightest point so you should have no issues
Excellent.

I'm thinking of GP 5k 32 too.

RDY

by RDY

caballero wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:12 am
mattharrop wrote:
I've picked up a 2020 Hi Mod and had some seatpost slipping issues recently but were fixed on yesterday's ride. This morning a very small crack in the paint. Something to be concerned about? Perhaps overtightening?
Mine has a similar mark around the binder. Mine came like that when I bought it and it's still unridden and the post torqued to 6nm.

I don't see how it could come out of the mould / painted like that. They must have over-torqued it at the factory or done some kind of stress test for it to do that. Though yours could possibly be a ripple / bunched layer of carbon rather than a crack / bending pushing the paint up. If it is the latter, then it's difficult to see how it made it through QC - it's so obvious.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

RDY wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:56 pm
caballero wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:12 am
mattharrop wrote:

I don't see how it could come out of the mould / painted like that. They must have over-torqued it at the factory or done some kind of stress test for it to do that. Though yours could possibly be a ripple / bunched layer of carbon rather than a crack / bending pushing the paint up. If it is the latter, then it's difficult to see how it made it through QC - it's so obvious.
Maybe they rush the frame making process so much that they test fit the seatpost even before the carbon fully cure?

RDY

by RDY

No clue. But it ain't right.

JimboP

by JimboP

mattharrop wrote:
I've just noticed the same on mine. its a 2021 hi-mod. Not cracked but there's definitely a crease. I had some creaking so cleaned it all out and put some paste in there (that's the white stuff) and tightened to 4nm (less than the recommended torque).

I didn't notice it before - but then I wasn't particularly looking for it either.
IMG_8279.jpg

ccparkhill

by ccparkhill

Det wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:23 am
ccparkhill wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:22 am
I noticed some cheap direct mount hangers on Ali Express, anybody tried them?
https://a.aliexpress.com/_uxSxqN
Don't ever order stuff from Ali without any reviews. Also, note that the reviews are overinflated, so most are 4+ stars. The actual rating is after the "4" on a scale of 1-10, so e.g. 4.5 stars = 5/10. Never buy anything of 4.0 stars, lower or no rating at all. Always read the reviews, especially the negative ones, in case they affect you.

Also, even though the shop's rating is "above average" in all 3 categories, try to look for shops with at least 1.5 years experience or so, if really ordering non-rated products (last resort). One of the best practices is to always sort your search by a number of orders, and pick the product with the highest rating and at least 100+ reviews.
Thanks for the advice, ordinarily that’s how I would shop on Ali but since they were so cheap I thought it was worth the risk.

They actually arrived yesterday, in just under 3 weeks. I ordered black and pink but they only had pink so sent me two pink. In terms of dimensions and weight they’re virtually identical to the Sigeyi, I’d say the anodizing isn’t quite as nice but for 9GBP delivered for two I’m happy. Fitted fine but not ridden yet.

JimboP

by JimboP

Is there any benefit to these other than aesthetics and a bit of weight loss? Do they actually improve shifting/
ccparkhill wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:36 am
Thanks for the advice, ordinarily that’s how I would shop on Ali but since they were so cheap I thought it was worth the risk.

They actually arrived yesterday, in just under 3 weeks. I ordered black and pink but they only had pink so sent me two pink. In terms of dimensions and weight they’re virtually identical to the Sigeyi, I’d say the anodizing isn’t quite as nice but for 9GBP delivered for two I’m happy. Fitted fine but not ridden yet.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

JimboP wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:57 am
Is there any benefit to these other than aesthetics and a bit of weight loss? Do they actually improve shifting/
ccparkhill wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:36 am

In theory yes, because one chunk of machined alloy, if shaped properly, is stiffer than two pieces fixed by a bolt, but what percentage better, no clue.

Personally, I can't say I noticed that much difference because I didn't ride for a while between using the original setup and once I put the Sigeyi DM hanger. But also, even with normal hanger and Shimano's added piece and bolt, a DA Di2 rear derailleur already shifts so well. But some say shifts are marginally faster and crisper, and it's good enough that most WorldTour teams that use Shimano groupsets use custom Direct Mounts. In the case of Ineos who are still on rim brakes and quick-releases, direct mount also opens up the area which makes wheel changes easier/faster since the nut of a quick-release is less likely to hang or get stuck, but that doesn't apply with disc brake wheels.

I always keep an extra hanger for my bikes just in case in my toolbox, so instead of buying an extra stock one, why not get a nicer, lighter and stiffer one and use the stock one as the emergency spare? :thumbup:

bruno2000

by bruno2000

Just ordered an EF education replica frame. Arriving next week.
Building it with Dura-Ace/Ultegra di2 group, Rotor Aldhu+ crank with 30mm spindle and 50-34 dm q ring, Selle Italai SLR kit carbonio flow saddle, Roval Alplinist wheels with Turbo cotton 26mm tyres and noirmal handlebar/stem combo + Sigeyi DM pink dropout.
I have 2 questions:
-Which BB would you guys recommend for a Supersix Evo frame pf30A with a Rotor Aldhu 30mm crankspindle?
-Probably will need a zero offset seatpost. What is the weight of the Cannondale seatpost? If I buy it online price is not that much lower than a Darimo seatpost. But maybe the Cannoindale seatpost is low weight too and more comfortable with the special shape?

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

My 0 setback Cannondale seatpost was 168gr uncut but that's including the Di2 battery holder and the rubber grommet, probably 160-165gr without.

As far as BB go, I'm not very familiar with Rotor cranks and if they require a specific BB setup but unless the width is odd or limited to 68mm (which I doubt), a 30mm spindle should work on the same types of BB as other BB30 cranksets like Cannondales.

Personally, I never had any issues with Cannondale's stock alloy PF30 cups and bearings, it lasts as long as anything and is perfectly silent if installed properly on a frame that's within specs. I think it's the lightest setup and is included with framesets so you'll already have it.

My last Evo wasn't bought as a standard consumer frameset or complete bike though and it didn't come with a BB but I already had a Enduro TorqTite PF30 XD-15 BB laying around so I used that. So far so good but from my experience, it would be so far so good with the stock setup as well. Screw together types BB are said to help keep the bearings aligned if a frame is slightly out of specs (obviously, aligned bearings spin better, last longer and stay silent) but they are heavier and usually more expensive. Enduro has the TorqTite but Wheels Manufacturing has similar options, Rotor have some as well if I recall and there are probably many other options too now.

bruno2000

by bruno2000

Dan Gerous wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 3:17 pm
My 0 setback Cannondale seatpost was 168gr uncut but that's including the Di2 battery holder and the rubber grommet, probably 160-165gr without.

As far as BB go, I'm not very familiar with Rotor cranks and if they require a specific BB setup but unless the width is odd or limited to 68mm (which I doubt), a 30mm spindle should work on the same types of BB as other BB30 cranksets like Cannondales.

Personally, I never had any issues with Cannondale's stock alloy PF30 cups and bearings, it lasts as long as anything and is perfectly silent if installed properly on a frame that's within specs. I think it's the lightest setup and is included with framesets so you'll already have it.

My last Evo wasn't bought as a standard consumer frameset or complete bike though and it didn't come with a BB but I already had a Enduro TorqTite PF30 XD-15 BB laying around so I used that. So far so good but from my experience, it would be so far so good with the stock setup as well. Screw together types BB are said to help keep the bearings aligned if a frame is slightly out of specs (obviously, aligned bearings spin better, last longer and stay silent) but they are heavier and usually more expensive. Enduro has the TorqTite but Wheels Manufacturing has similar options, Rotor have some as well if I recall and there are probably many other options too now.
For the seatpost, that's quite light if you ask me. Offcourse not Darimo light.

I was thinking of getting me this bb:
https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/c ... black.html

As the Rotor spindle is is 30mm diameter and as long as a shimano 24 spindle.
So If i took a normal pf30 BB I willprobably need allkind of spacers?

Wenne

by Wenne

new frame , lady for man :D
71D95F64-1D71-48DF-9D9D-83A617453D37.jpeg
Last edited by Wenne on Thu May 06, 2021 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wenne

by Wenne

:thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com