Are We Getting A New Cannondale Supersix?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

req110
Posts: 305
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:23 am

by req110

Supacaz is heavy bar tape.

Deda traforato (cork)
Acros mellow (rubber)

pmprego
Posts: 1604
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:16 pm

by pmprego

LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:13 pm

I actually prefer to have most of the tops unwrapped. Just took off the tape and plugs. Weighed about 110g. Probably save 30-40g by going to supercaz.

Good idea.

Also, weighed both the Force 10-33 and 10-36, for those interested. 10-33 was 268g and 10-36 was 311g.

So, if I put on new tape and go back to the 10-33, still looking at 7.92kg. Lol.
It's the sum of many small gains but all of them mean spending money. Red cassette when the time comes to change it, tires (pirelli pzero sl 28mm could save you some 100gr compared to what you have), carbon seatpost and lightweight saddle (if you go darimo style some 200gr in both components).

Nonetheless, sram axs is not known for being lightweight. For that one needs to go shimano way.

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



req110
Posts: 305
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:23 am

by req110

Or red etap 11s.

You still haven't mentioned what cockpit you have. The knot cockpit is around 600g.

LedZeppelin007
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:46 pm

by LedZeppelin007

Sorry, I do have the heavy Knot stem and the presumably heavy SAVE handlebar.

I had assumed that you have to use Cannondale's proprietary Carbon seatpost that came with the bike (the Knot 27SL). If not, that would open up some possibilities.

Was looking at a cost to gram upgrades. Place to start is probably the cockpit. People tend to go with the Farsports F1? Rotors and tires are the next cheapest.

Jackofallgrades
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:15 am

by Jackofallgrades

For reference, my build is also Force AXS and is down to 7.2kg, the best value as others have mentioned is probably bar and stem. If you can give up the integration that is... Then yes, tyres/tubes are next on the list for sure.
Cannondale SSEvo3 'Atticus' - 7.2kg
...Work in Progress viewtopic.php?f=10&t=161634

hannawald
Posts: 1235
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:28 pm
Location: Czech Republic

by hannawald

LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:27 pm
Sorry, I do have the heavy Knot stem and the presumably heavy SAVE handlebar.

I had assumed that you have to use Cannondale's proprietary Carbon seatpost that came with the bike (the Knot 27SL). If not, that would open up some possibilities.

Was looking at a cost to gram upgrades. Place to start is probably the cockpit. People tend to go with the Farsports F1? Rotors and tires are the next cheapest.
Yes, Farsports F1 for the weight and look. If you don't need spacers under the stem, any stem can be used and looks good, but with spacers, Farsports F1 is great.

LedZeppelin007
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:46 pm

by LedZeppelin007

hannawald wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:43 pm
LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:27 pm
Sorry, I do have the heavy Knot stem and the presumably heavy SAVE handlebar.

I had assumed that you have to use Cannondale's proprietary Carbon seatpost that came with the bike (the Knot 27SL). If not, that would open up some possibilities.

Was looking at a cost to gram upgrades. Place to start is probably the cockpit. People tend to go with the Farsports F1? Rotors and tires are the next cheapest.
Yes, Farsports F1 for the weight and look. If you don't need spacers under the stem, any stem can be used and looks good, but with spacers, Farsports F1 is great.
Now, if it would just come in stock, lol.

Anybody tried 1x on a SS EVO? Worried the short chainstays would lead to a noisy drivetrain.

rtio
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu May 20, 2021 5:54 pm

by rtio

hannawald wrote:
LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:27 pm
Sorry, I do have the heavy Knot stem and the presumably heavy SAVE handlebar.

I had assumed that you have to use Cannondale's proprietary Carbon seatpost that came with the bike (the Knot 27SL). If not, that would open up some possibilities.

Was looking at a cost to gram upgrades. Place to start is probably the cockpit. People tend to go with the Farsports F1? Rotors and tires are the next cheapest.
Yes, Farsports F1 for the weight and look. If you don't need spacers under the stem, any stem can be used and looks good, but with spacers, Farsports F1 is great.
The other integrated option would be a Deda Alanera with their proprietary spacer, Enve also said they are coming out with an integrated bar and stem combo in the “summer”. But the deda will probably be your lightest option at ~350 grams.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User avatar
Dan Gerous
Posts: 2315
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:28 pm

by Dan Gerous

Bontrager Aeolus RSL VR-C would be really nice on a Evo. Under 300gr so ligher than Farsports, Deda, Enve and the cable routing is smarter and easier to deal with I think, extrernal but fitted into little channels underneath and pops out under the stem part right where it would enter the frame.

Only cons, it's not cheap, no flare in the drops and they have a long reach by modern standards, so you end up maybe needing a shorter stem for the same lever positions, and I don't like how short stems look on a road bike.

Personally I went with normal stem and bars which look nice enough without spacers as Hannawald said, plus it's much cheaper to get lighter (my cockpit is under 300gr without too expensive or fancy parts), plus it's easier to live with (travel for exemple), easier to get the perfect fit.

But yeah, AXS is on the heavy side, even Red, KNØT cockpit is very heavy and wheels are the areas where big weight saving can be made... but big savings means bigger investments. I got my non-Hi-Mod Evo disc to 6.8kg relatively easily and without spending toooo much, but I built it from a bare frame so I could just pick parts I wanted, not changing heavy parts.

req110
Posts: 305
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:23 am

by req110

LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:48 pm
hannawald wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:43 pm
LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:27 pm
Sorry, I do have the heavy Knot stem and the presumably heavy SAVE handlebar.

I had assumed that you have to use Cannondale's proprietary Carbon seatpost that came with the bike (the Knot 27SL). If not, that would open up some possibilities.

Was looking at a cost to gram upgrades. Place to start is probably the cockpit. People tend to go with the Farsports F1? Rotors and tires are the next cheapest.
Yes, Farsports F1 for the weight and look. If you don't need spacers under the stem, any stem can be used and looks good, but with spacers, Farsports F1 is great.
Now, if it would just come in stock, lol.

Anybody tried 1x on a SS EVO? Worried the short chainstays would lead to a noisy drivetrain.
He does
https://www.instagram.com/p/CQXtk-UhINI ... =copy_link

Making me considering the same

LedZeppelin007
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:46 pm

by LedZeppelin007

req110 wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:59 pm
LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:48 pm
hannawald wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:43 pm
LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:27 pm
Sorry, I do have the heavy Knot stem and the presumably heavy SAVE handlebar.

I had assumed that you have to use Cannondale's proprietary Carbon seatpost that came with the bike (the Knot 27SL). If not, that would open up some possibilities.

Was looking at a cost to gram upgrades. Place to start is probably the cockpit. People tend to go with the Farsports F1? Rotors and tires are the next cheapest.
Yes, Farsports F1 for the weight and look. If you don't need spacers under the stem, any stem can be used and looks good, but with spacers, Farsports F1 is great.
Now, if it would just come in stock, lol.

Anybody tried 1x on a SS EVO? Worried the short chainstays would lead to a noisy drivetrain.
He does
https://www.instagram.com/p/CQXtk-UhINI ... =copy_link

Making me considering the same
Woah. That is a sexy bike.

No way could I run a 44/33 smallest gear at the moment, though. I'd have to go with 42 or 40 in the front, 10-36 in the back

LedZeppelin007
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:46 pm

by LedZeppelin007

req110 wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:59 pm
LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:48 pm
hannawald wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:43 pm
LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:27 pm
Sorry, I do have the heavy Knot stem and the presumably heavy SAVE handlebar.

I had assumed that you have to use Cannondale's proprietary Carbon seatpost that came with the bike (the Knot 27SL). If not, that would open up some possibilities.

Was looking at a cost to gram upgrades. Place to start is probably the cockpit. People tend to go with the Farsports F1? Rotors and tires are the next cheapest.
Yes, Farsports F1 for the weight and look. If you don't need spacers under the stem, any stem can be used and looks good, but with spacers, Farsports F1 is great.
Now, if it would just come in stock, lol.

Anybody tried 1x on a SS EVO? Worried the short chainstays would lead to a noisy drivetrain.
He does
https://www.instagram.com/p/CQXtk-UhINI ... =copy_link

Making me considering the same
Wonder what kind of chain and cassette he is running? I'm guessing the flattop AXS chain doesn't play nice with the Cannondale chainring?

Prosper00
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:12 am

by Prosper00

I have the same weight issues with my SS Force model.

I have a real love/hate relationship with mine. It's so great to ride but I've been hit with all of the shoddy design and construction Cannondale issues - my chain chips away the chain stay when in 10T and my head tube has developed a crack from their dumbsass steel tooth in the fork crown that digs into the carbon when you turn the bars. I'll have to put a warranty claim in, I've never had such a string of design and manufacturing issues with any other bike frame.

Stock it was 8.2kgs, an absolute joke. I've spent a fortune on swapping the Knot barstem for Farsports F1. How CDale designers let a 600g cockpit out of the drawing board I'll never know. Also swapped out the chunky Force chain set for Red and saddle for Fizik Antares R1. The build now just scrapes 7.6kgs. I'm really not impressed with Cannondale.

LedZeppelin007
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:46 pm

by LedZeppelin007

Prosper00 wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:22 pm
I have the same weight issues with my SS Force model.

I have a real love/hate relationship with mine. It's so great to ride but I've been hit with all of the shoddy design and construction Cannondale issues - my chain chips away the chain stay when in 10T and my head tube has developed a crack from their dumbsass steel tooth in the fork crown that digs into the carbon when you turn the bars. I'll have to put a warranty claim in, I've never had such a string of design and manufacturing issues with any other bike frame.

Stock it was 8.2kgs, an absolute joke. I've spent a fortune on swapping the Knot barstem for Farsports F1. How CDale designers let a 600g cockpit out of the drawing board I'll never know. Also swapped out the chunky Force chain set for Red and saddle for Fizik Antares R1. The build now just scrapes 7.6kgs. I'm really not impressed with Cannondale.
I've struggled keeping my headset tight and I had no end of problems with my front derailleur (which turns out was defective). It's a good riding bike, but way heavier than it should be.

Unfortunately, I don't think I can sell it at this point without taking a big loss. If I had to do it again, I probably would've gotten a Canyon, Trek, or Specialized.

Mcdeez
Posts: 285
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:40 pm

by Mcdeez

LedZeppelin007 wrote:Sorry, I do have the heavy Knot stem and the presumably heavy SAVE handlebar.

I had assumed that you have to use Cannondale's proprietary Carbon seatpost that came with the bike (the Knot 27SL). If not, that would open up some possibilities.

Was looking at a cost to gram upgrades. Place to start is probably the cockpit. People tend to go with the Farsports F1? Rotors and tires are the next cheapest.
Get the yoeleo hadle bar, its around 310 grams

The farsports is 400grams now

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



Post Reply