Are We Getting A New Cannondale Supersix?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Karvalo

by Karvalo

oldmac wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:45 pm
The GEN3 headtube is shorter,and the STACK is much smaller than the GEN2, so the small size becomes agressive
It's only aggressive in comparison with the old 44 which had a much more relaxed geo than any other size. The old 44 was barely any smaller at the front end than a 48, it just had a shorter seattube and better standover clearance. Now the new 44 is a genuinely different size bike to the 48, a 15mm stack difference between the two is far more consistent with the size progression elsewhere in the chart. The longer reach is almost certainly handling related - the reach progression is now almost entirely consistent between every size.

Speaking of, while trail is the new watchword in handling, the 54 does it with a 71.2 HTA and 55mm rake, and the 56 with a 73 HTA and 45mm rake. The 56 wheelbase is actually shorter than the 51, the change is so drastic. Surely this is going to provide quite a different character of bike between the sizes?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Trail is not the “new” watchword in handling... but you’re right, focusing on one particular number is quite ridiculous. Wheelbase, overall size, and chainstay length, are every bit as important when trying to figure out how the whole bike might handle, as those things play a much greater role in where the ultimate center of gravity will end up between the wheels than trail does. Trail is but one number, and is a function of head tube angle, fork offset, wheel and tire size. It’s certainly an important factor in steering behavior, but can’t really be considered properly in isolation from the other factors. And two bikes with very different headtube angles could have the same trail depending on fork rakes etc., and vice versa. It’s a magical mix of all the factors, including rider size and position that makes studying bike geometry interesting.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Karvalo wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:40 pm
Speaking of, while trail is the new watchword in handling, the 54 does it with a 71.2 HTA and 55mm rake, and the 56 with a 73 HTA and 45mm rake. The 56 wheelbase is actually shorter than the 51, the change is so drastic. Surely this is going to provide quite a different character of bike between the sizes?
As a 54 user, I'm curious about that too... I love how the current Evo 54 handles so hopefully the handling is as good or better... One good thing, I might avoid tire marks on my white shoes! :mrgreen:

Bluechip

by Bluechip

As to the mechanical cables, if you want a clean look then you will have to spring for one with the Knot bars and stem or upgrade to them. How well they work with that routing will still need to be tested. In the pictures I've seen so far there was one non Himod mechanical Ultegra/disc that had the Knot cockpit. Can't wait to see what will be available in the states tomorrow.

Edit- After seeing the video posted a little farther down it looks like the earlier photos were just mock ups. The mechanical cables do not go through the stem. I guess I'll have to go electronic.
Last edited by Bluechip on Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bluechip

by Bluechip

I doubt Cannondale will mess up the handling on any of their race bikes. I've owned five or so different Cannondale road bikes since the mid 80's (all aluminum) and can say they all were great handlers.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Bluechip wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:05 am
I doubt Cannondale will mess up the handling on any of their race bikes. I've owned five or so different Cannondale road bikes since the mid 80's (all aluminum) and can say they all were great handlers.
I agree, it's what got me hooked on Cannondales.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Those paint jobs are hideous.

Fire the entire graphic design department, now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bluechip

by Bluechip

Whats the garmin thing on the front hub in these pictures?
https://sm-parts.net/Cannondale-SuperSi ... tegra.html

Also is the front wheel laced radially on the non disc side?

refthimos

by refthimos

We have video!

EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

nickf

by nickf

I rather have a Factor O2. Can put whatever seatpost and stem/bar on it. Pretty much the same thing minus the ugly dropped stays and the god awful paint.

murphyy12

by murphyy12

refthimos wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:19 am
We have video!

There’s something about seeing it in motion vs. still photos that makes me like the look so much better.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

murphyy12 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:27 am
refthimos wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:19 am
We have video!
There’s something about seeing it in motion vs. still photos that makes me like the look so much better.
It definitely looks much-much better in the video than in the photos. Both the paint and the whole bike. Still not my cup of tea.

Does anybody have the weight / specs of the Knot Bars and stems? I bet they are boat anchors.

Seedster

by Seedster

LeDuke wrote:Those paint jobs are hideous.

Agreed. I typically like the supersix frameset, but this thing is god awful. The paint is ugly and the spacers look silly. Moving or still this bike has a face only a mother could love!

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The Addict just seems better executed with its complete cable integration and overall design language. Scott really paid attention to all the little details like the magnetic covers over the front brake caliper thru-bolts and also a magnetic cover over the stem top cap.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miles253

by Miles253

Seedster wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:21 am
LeDuke wrote:Those paint jobs are hideous.

Agreed. I typically like the supersix frameset, but this thing is god awful. The paint is ugly and the spacers look silly. Moving or still this bike has a face only a mother could love!

The spacers are the real killer, without the Knot bar, it just looks ridiculous. Like it's wearing a scarf!
Specialized S-Works Venge Disc | 7.8kg
Rose Backroad | 9kg (Deceased R.I.P.)
Canyon Ultimate CF SL | 7.7kg

https://www.findyourroad.co.uk/
Instagram: @miles_bc