Are We Getting A New Cannondale Supersix?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

User avatar
card0s
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon May 04, 2020 10:39 pm
Contact:

by card0s

Stewche wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:38 am
Does anybody know if there are there any other stem / bar combinations that match / look okay with the new spacers? I’ve seen the faraports ones. I need 40cm bars but cannot find stock anywhere of the SAVE bars. My bike is being sent with 44cm which are too big for me.
I actually replaced mine with the Farsports F1 bar/stem combo.
So I have the Save 40cm bar/90mm stem for sale. BTW, the 90mm stem is in fact 100mm when measured center to center.
Hit me up if you're interested.

BigBoyND
Posts: 309
Joined: Mon May 31, 2021 1:51 am
Location: Seoul, KR

by BigBoyND

New spacers? Have they changed?
Pinarello Prince 59.5cm 7.4kg frameset for sale
- R9100, P2M, HED Jet Black 6/9, Speedplay Aero SS
Canyon Speedmax Disc CF8 XL heavy
- R8000, SwissSide 62/80
Specialized Venge 58 coming soon, <6.9kg target
- R9200, Quarq, i9.65

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



LedZeppelin007
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:46 pm

by LedZeppelin007

card0s wrote:
Stewche wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:38 am
Does anybody know if there are there any other stem / bar combinations that match / look okay with the new spacers? I’ve seen the faraports ones. I need 40cm bars but cannot find stock anywhere of the SAVE bars. My bike is being sent with 44cm which are too big for me.
I actually replaced mine with the Farsports F1 bar/stem combo.
So I have the Save 40cm bar/90mm stem for sale. BTW, the 90mm stem is in fact 100mm when measured center to center.
Hit me up if you're interested.
Do we have an actual weight on the SAVE stem/bar combo? I’ve heard as low as 475g and as high as 600g.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dnb72
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:01 pm

by dnb72

LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:31 pm
card0s wrote:
Stewche wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:38 am
Does anybody know if there are there any other stem / bar combinations that match / look okay with the new spacers? I’ve seen the faraports ones. I need 40cm bars but cannot find stock anywhere of the SAVE bars. My bike is being sent with 44cm which are too big for me.
I actually replaced mine with the Farsports F1 bar/stem combo.
So I have the Save 40cm bar/90mm stem for sale. BTW, the 90mm stem is in fact 100mm when measured center to center.
Hit me up if you're interested.
Do we have an actual weight on the SAVE stem/bar combo? I’ve heard as low as 475g and as high as 600g.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I don't remember the exact weight but mine was around 450-480g including bolts - however it's 38cm bar and 100mm stem so should be on the lighter side of the range. Pretty sure the stem was 200g if that helps.

dnb72
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:01 pm

by dnb72

There may also be a difference in weight between the save and the system bars, given the tops on the later are deeper.

LedZeppelin007
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:46 pm

by LedZeppelin007

dnb72 wrote:
LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:31 pm
card0s wrote:
Stewche wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:38 am
Does anybody know if there are there any other stem / bar combinations that match / look okay with the new spacers? I’ve seen the faraports ones. I need 40cm bars but cannot find stock anywhere of the SAVE bars. My bike is being sent with 44cm which are too big for me.
I actually replaced mine with the Farsports F1 bar/stem combo.
So I have the Save 40cm bar/90mm stem for sale. BTW, the 90mm stem is in fact 100mm when measured center to center.
Hit me up if you're interested.
Do we have an actual weight on the SAVE stem/bar combo? I’ve heard as low as 475g and as high as 600g.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I don't remember the exact weight but mine was around 450-480g including bolts - however it's 38cm bar and 100mm stem so should be on the lighter side of the range. Pretty sure the stem was 200g if that helps.
That does help quite a lot, thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LedZeppelin007
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:46 pm

by LedZeppelin007

I took a small plunge and purchased a Red crankset for my SS EVO Force.

Here’s how the weight loss plan is proceeding:

-Stock weight: 8.39 kg without pedals or cages (yes, you read that right)

-Got Zipp 303FC (1370g with valves and tape)
-Got Schwalbe Pro One TLR 30c (310g per tire)
-Replaced saddle with Selle San Marco CLX (140g)
-Cut steerer
-Rewrapped bar with lighter tape

Now, I’m sitting at 7.91 kg

In the works are:
-SRAM Red Cranks (should save 234g)
-J&L Axles (should save 24g)
-J&L Seat Post yoke and screw (should save 32g)

That should get me to 7.62kg

-Going to a 1x setup would save approximately 330g

-Farsports F1 would save about 200g?

Any other suggestions?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Prosper00
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:12 am

by Prosper00

My 100mm 42mm SAVE Knot barstem was 576 grams. I swapped it for a Farsports F1 which was 330 grams. Saving nearly 250 grams on the cockpit alone. Whoever designed that boat anchor at Cannondale needs to be fired.

Prosper00
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:12 am

by Prosper00

LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:11 pm
I took a small plunge and purchased a Red crankset for my SS EVO Force.

Here’s how the weight loss plan is proceeding:

-Stock weight: 8.39 kg without pedals or cages (yes, you read that right)

-Got Zipp 303FC (1370g with valves and tape)
-Got Schwalbe Pro One TLR 30c (310g per tire)
-Replaced saddle with Selle San Marco CLX (140g)
-Cut steerer
-Rewrapped bar with lighter tape

Now, I’m sitting at 7.91 kg

In the works are:
-SRAM Red Cranks (should save 234g)
-J&L Axles (should save 24g)
-J&L Seat Post yoke and screw (should save 32g)

That should get me to 7.62kg

-Going to a 1x setup would save approximately 330g

-Farsports F1 would save about 200g?

Any other suggestions?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I have your Evo SS Force and have been struggling with weight, it's terrible stock.
I'm down to 7.7kgs from 8.2kgs by primarily swapping the Knot SAVE systembar for Farsports F1 and Force crankset for Red - both are the main overweight items. Both are very expensive upgrades but offer the best Hairsine ratio values. Red AXS 48/35 576g (Previously Force AXS 48/35 734g -158g). I'll stick the full build up tomorrow, but beyond some new wheels, I'm at the stage of diminishing returns.

Something else to consider is swapping out the chunky stock disk rotors. The stock 160mm CL are 153g each, swap for XRs 130g and save 46g.

LedZeppelin007
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:46 pm

by LedZeppelin007

Prosper00 wrote:
LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:11 pm
I took a small plunge and purchased a Red crankset for my SS EVO Force.

Here’s how the weight loss plan is proceeding:

-Stock weight: 8.39 kg without pedals or cages (yes, you read that right)

-Got Zipp 303FC (1370g with valves and tape)
-Got Schwalbe Pro One TLR 30c (310g per tire)
-Replaced saddle with Selle San Marco CLX (140g)
-Cut steerer
-Rewrapped bar with lighter tape

Now, I’m sitting at 7.91 kg

In the works are:
-SRAM Red Cranks (should save 234g)
-J&L Axles (should save 24g)
-J&L Seat Post yoke and screw (should save 32g)

That should get me to 7.62kg

-Going to a 1x setup would save approximately 330g

-Farsports F1 would save about 200g?

Any other suggestions?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I have your Evo SS Force and have been struggling with weight, it's terrible stock.
I'm down to 7.7kgs from 8.2kgs by primarily swapping the Knot SAVE systembar for Farsports F1 and Force crankset for Red - both are the main overweight items. Both are very expensive upgrades but offer the best Hairsine ratio values. Red AXS 48/35 576g (Previously Force AXS 48/35 734g -158g). I'll stick the full build up tomorrow, but beyond some new wheels, I'm at the stage of diminishing returns.

Something else to consider is swapping out the chunky stock disk rotors. The stock 160mm CL are 153g each, swap for XRs 130g and save 46g.
I forgot, I did switch the rotors out for Centerline XR rotors (117g).The stock rotors weighed 152g.

The stock wheels actually aren’t heavy (715g front, 855g rear with tape), but nothing special.

Actually ran them on a 60-mile gravel Fondo with 32mm Gravel Kings and they did great. I then sold them to fund the Zipps, though.

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

req110
Posts: 313
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:23 am

by req110

You can save lot of on groupset, crankset, tubes and rotors for sure.

Force AXS is heavy groupset for sure, making my gravel bike pretty heavy.

User avatar
cerro
Posts: 1829
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 2:11 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Contact:

by cerro

LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:43 am
cerro wrote:
LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:26 pm
I was kind of excited about the idea of trying 1x with the following:

-Hollowgram crank
-40t spidering
-XX1 chain
-Force 10-36 cassette

Then I remembered that this would all be a moot point if the bike weighed a reasonable amount and if I had confidence at all in the front shifting. Then I got pissed.

I really don’t want to spend more money on this bike. I’ve got a kid coming and I frankly can’t spend more money. I was thinking about trading it (but would take a big loss). Or I can, of course, ride it and be extra careful with the front shifts and stop if it drops a chain.

I’ve barely been able to ride it and I’m frustrated all around.

What would you guys suggest? Stick it out or trade? Or try to sell (I hate packing up bikes)?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You need a flattop chain to work with that cassette and a chainring working with the flattop chain. Different sized rollers.

I used a Force 10-33 or 10-26 cassette last year on my SS Evo with a Garbaruk chainring made for flattop and Force chain. Now got the same setup on my Factor. Never any issues and been really quiet too.
I would really like to use a Hollowgram crank. It seems to be what Dan Evans (former British Hill Climb champ) is doing. I thought you had to use a flattop chain with the AXS cassettes, but I don’t believe he is:

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Long Quote but. I used a Hollowgram SiSL2 crank with my setup, worked flawless and light :)

LedZeppelin007
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:46 pm

by LedZeppelin007

In other news, got the Red crank in, installed it to the specified 53nm, and it is mildly stiff to turn (about half a turn round in a free spin). There is no space for the preload adjuster. Lowering the torque to about 30nm allows for more free spin.

Anyone else had this issue?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LedZeppelin007
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:46 pm

by LedZeppelin007

Okay, so I think I found the issue:

The geniuses at Cannondale seem to have put a 4.5mm spacer where they should’ve put a 3mm spacer. This explains why the preload adjuster couldn’t be used on my new crank or on the old Force crank. I did notice a small spot, too, by the BB. Does this look concerning to anyone? I’m a bit worried considering the tremendous amount of torque there.

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hexsense
Posts: 2257
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:41 am

by Hexsense

So, they compress your frame a bit from the factory?
Is it possible that they built the bike up while the paint is not fully cured?
Like, painted but paint is still soft. Then they torque the bb down such that the area move a bit, and that leave wrinkle in the paint.

Anyway, that doesn't look concerning for me yet. Might keep an eye on it once in a blue moon. Or use bbinfinite one piece aluminum bb to stiffen the whole bb area up. Mind you, bbinfinite require you to grind the under cable port riv nut before installing.

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



Post Reply