Are We Getting A New Cannondale Supersix?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

S6ED

by S6ED

Dan Gerous wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:15 pm
I would say the opposite, with this normal round headset cover as in your picture, if the Alanera is right against it, the exit port of the stem will be almost completely blocked by the cover. Thinking it over, the exit port is really made for the ACR headset so any cover or spacer will likely block the exit port almost completely, probably partially enough that hoses would get pinched or crushed there.
Yes, that's a likely scenario... Well, I tried to be inventive... :?

Dan, I don't want to be indiscreet but would would post a couple of pics of your bike, some close ups, perhaps. I've only seen one photo, where it stands in a room, I think, and it looks nice and minimal.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

S6ED wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:33 pm
Dan Gerous wrote:
I would say the opposite, with this normal round headset cover as in your picture, if the Alanera is right against it, the exit port of the stem will be almost completely blocked by the cover. Thinking it over, the exit port is really made for the ACR headset so any cover or spacer will likely block the exit port almost completely, probably partially enough that hoses would get pinched or crushed there.

Dan, I don't want to be indiscreet but would would post a couple of pics of your bike, some close ups, perhaps. I've only seen one photo, where it stands in a room, I think, and it looks nice and minimal.
Search back a few pages. Deda Vinci stem with a custom 3D printed transition spacer. There's also a picture a few back as well with deda alanera but the cables are not routed internally. FCA ACR or DEDA DCR can work if it's not slammed and with custom 3D printed spacers. Best bet is only far sports. I gave up and sold my systemsix because the whole design was poor. Bontrager new cockpit would also work but runs semi externally/visibly. Canyon 1 piece cockpit would semi work as well. If the deda dcr is still what you want then you can't slam and need a transition 3D spacer. You can't even run the DVR against the Cannondale regular headset cap because the cable will hit it. You might be able to run a 5mm spacer between the two but then you have semi visible cables.

S6ED

by S6ED

woodyvalentine wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:41 am
S6ED wrote:
Dan Gerous wrote:

Search back a few pages. Deda Vinci stem with a custom 3D printed transition spacer. There's also a picture a few back as well with deda alanera but the cables are not routed internally. FCA ACR or DEDA DCR can work if it's not slammed and with custom 3D printed spacers. Best bet is only far sports. I gave up and sold my systemsix because the whole design was poor. Bontrager new cockpit would also work but runs semi externally/visibly. Canyon 1 piece cockpit would semi work as well. If the deda dcr is still what you want then you can't slam and need a transition 3D spacer. You can't even run the DVR against the Cannondale regular headset cap because the cable will hit it. You might be able to run a 5mm spacer between the two but then you have semi visible cables.
So the difference between the Alanera and the Far F1 is that the exit port/hole underneath the stem is, in the case of the F1, somewhat further away from the fork steerer thus making it possible to send the hoses down to the head tube opening.

Edit: thanks for the pics! The problem with the Vinci stem is that it is quite heavy, about 200g!
Last edited by S6ED on Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

S6ED wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:05 am
woodyvalentine wrote:
S6ED wrote:
Dan Gerous wrote:

So the difference between the Alanera and the Far F1 is that the exit port/hole underneath the stem is, in the case of the F1, somewhat further away from the fork steerer thus making it possible to send the hoses down to the head tube opening.
Correct. Far sports is further forward and has a transition spacer. You can apparently slam the transition spacer if you run a bunch of micro spacers under it against the bearings. Or you use 1x 7.5mm Cannondale spacer under the Far sports spacer.

Or you run the knot stems.
Or run standard stem.
Or run Bontrager new bars or similar 1 piece externally/cables under the stem.

S6ED

by S6ED

woodyvalentine wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:09 am
S6ED wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:05 am
woodyvalentine wrote:
S6ED wrote:

Correct. Far sports is further forward and has a transition spacer. You can apparently slam the transition spacer if you run a bunch of micro spacers under it against the bearings. Or you use 1x 7.5mm Cannondale spacer under the Far sports spacer.

Or you run the knot stems.
Or run standard stem.
Or run Bontrager new bars or similar 1 piece externally/cables under the stem.
Could you run the F1 directly on the Cannondale spacer (the one with the bolt + front lip)?

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

Just run it on the one without the bolt. Likely same height. 7.5mm. The one without the bolt can be put on the bearings too, and matches the far sports ones. The one with the bolt for normal stems won't transition well but likely could be done. In the end no point with the one with the bolt.

In the end go:
Far sports bar stem
Far sports spacer (guessing at least 5mm)
Cannondale 7.5mm spacer (no bolt) (can run without too but need micro shims)
Headset bearings.

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

This is someone with Farsports slammed with microspacers under it.
Attachments
8A2D18AB-F807-451A-A16D-298FE5C2BB80.png

S6ED

by S6ED

woodyvalentine wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:16 am
Just run it on the one without the bolt. Likely same height. 7.5mm. The one without the bolt can be put on the bearings too, and matches the far sports ones. The one with the bolt for normal stems won't transition well but likely could be done. In the end no point with the one with the bolt.

In the end go:
Far sports bar stem
Far sports spacer (guessing at least 5mm)
Cannondale 7.5mm spacer (no bolt) (can run without too but need micro shims)
Headset bearings.
Thanks. The idea is to have the whole setup as slammed as possible in order to replicate my current position on a previous gen Evo, size 54 (120mm, -8deg stem, slammed on a Deda 8mm headset cover)

If you factor in the 3mm higher stack and the 1.7deg slacker fork angle of the new Evo, riding position will be quite higher if sticking with a stem of the same angle. The F1 is -10deg, of course, so if kept super slammed it might do the trick.

hannawald

by hannawald

With F1 you have 2 sleeves. You can use the other one, which is reversible and make it either -7 or -13. So -13 will gain you some more mm, probably about 6mm compared to -10. You should be able to get your fit:)) but if you don't need spacers under the stem i think many options will do the job, when i look at EF bikes it looks good with classic stems and aero bars, even with cables. It is just the spacers that makes it worse and force you to solutions like Farsports F1. You can look for -10 stems like Pro, or even lower degree stems or low stack stems that are 35mm in height and not 40mm...all these will save some mm and will be very nice.

Saltelid

by Saltelid

Found this a few days ago, the Deda Vinci with just a small spacer underneath. Think it would look okay if slammed.
IMG_1315.jpg
IMG_1314.jpg

S6ED

by S6ED

Saltelid wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:35 am
Found this a few days ago, the Deda Vinci with just a small spacer underneath. Think it would look okay if slammed.

IMG_1315.jpg
IMG_1314.jpg
That's what I had in mind but with the Alanera. The difference, in that respect, seems to be that the Vinci has the exit port for the hoses further away from the steerer than the Alanera, thus making it possible without further ado to route them into the head tube opening of the Evo. Bear in mind that an adapter shim has to be used with 1 1/8 steerers (without it, the Vinci can be used with 1 1/4 steerers) and, also, that this stem is quite heavy at 190g. The adapter shim appears to be curiously longer than the stack height of the stem (see pics) but one can trim it, I suppose. Obviously for the integration to work one also needs a handlebar with an opening at the rear of the clamping area, like the Vinci bar or the Superzero DCR bar. I also include a picture of the Alanera for comparison.
Attachments
49976041727_3f4f02af4a_h.jpg
49976041777_62c71a4f33_k.jpg
49975263618_b469171cef_h.jpg
49975779291_2039a7cfd7_h.jpg
DSC_3260.jpg
c5c155d3ee5e1ee23d5967009df0aded.jpg

njleach

by njleach

Saltelid wrote:

IMG_1315.jpg
IMG_1314.jpg
Those plastic spacers are by far and away the fugliest part of the new SS.

S6ED

by S6ED

The new Deda Superbox stem is yet another possible option, sort of.

Besides its hefty weight, I'm worried that the stack height (= steerer clamping area) of only 30mm may put too much stress on the steerer.

https://velo04.com/superbox-bike-stem

S6ED

by S6ED

njleach wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:45 pm
Saltelid wrote:

IMG_1315.jpg
IMG_1314.jpg
Those plastic spacers are by far and away the fugliest part of the new SS.
C'mon, it ain't that bad :-D
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-09-20 at 03.50.23.png

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com