Are We Getting A New Cannondale Supersix?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lieblingsleguan

by Lieblingsleguan

hernejj wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:18 pm
DaveS wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:48 pm
It's kind of like building a 6Kg bike and carrying 10Kg of extra body fat. What's the point?
While I appreciate the argument, what's the point of anything in life? Building a high performance machine based on the SS Evo is what I wanted to do. So that's exactly what I did.

I'm well aware that my body contributes far more to aero-drag than the bike. When I need to, I can ride folded over with my chin down at the bars. I've done it in races and time trials and sometimes while just riding for fun. It is just not how I spend the majority of my time on the bike because its not comfortable for a long period of time. The SS is, by far, the most aggressive bke I've ever owned so I'm going to need time to adjust to it. And to be honest, I haven't even ridden this one outside yet, just a few short runs on the trainer to dial things in. When the weather warms up in my part of the world I'll take the SS out and see how I like the setup. Perhaps I'll find it too high and lower things in the first day, perhaps it will take me some time. In any case, I can't wait to get outside and try it out :-D.
I agree that you don't need to be a top athlete to be allowed to ride a nice machine, but what are the reasons why it needed to be the SS for you even though it clearly doesn't fit you? Your setup is so extreme that it might negatively influence handling characteristics, the amount of spacers will challenge the steerer tube safety wise (even though afaik Cannondale allows more spacers than other manufacturers which limit the amount to 3cm between frame and stem) and, sorry, it also doesn't look good. There are lots of light, beautiful and fast endurance geometry road bikes out there, I'm sure you could have found one that is fitting your desired position better.
Also, a riser drop handlebar like the Specialized Hover Expert would probably look better than he 15mm of spacers that it can replace.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

I agree that the specific ss is the opposite of aero, good fit and proper handling.
Just to add that there is also a thing called style or aesthetics or design concept, you name it. An aero bike with a tower of spacers is just 'wrong' in terms of style while an endurance bike with 5-10mm of spacers is just fine.
Of course, for some people style does not exist (you can tell by their shoes or the way they dress) but style exists and has its own rules.

S6ED

by S6ED

Dan Gerous wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:45 am
S6ED wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:08 pm
Some new/unknown colour schemes, perhaps.

https://bicyclebuysell.com/item/502483/ ... meset-2020
These are framesets only available for the Asia/Pacific market, sadly, I really like the Sienna.
I've seen on Insta you're about to build a rather light new Evo. Have you ridden the new frameset? How does it compare to the previous model (handling, stiffness etc.)?
Needless to say, looking forward to your new build :)

g32ecs

by g32ecs

hernejj wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:09 pm
Here is my *nearly* complete build!

It weights in at exactly 16.79 pounds (7.6 kg) and it is only missing bar tap and tire sealant. It has everything else including pedals, Wahoo Elemnt Bolt & mount, bottle cages, etc. Here is a parts list:
  • Cannondale 2020 SuperSix Evo Ballistec Frameset 54 cm
  • Cannondale HG27 KN0T Carbon Seatpost (K2601015)
  • Shimano Di2 Ultegra Groupset R8070
  • SRAM Red 50/34 BB30 Cranks (525g)
  • Mavic Cosmic Pro SL UST Disc Wheels (1535g)
  • Continental GP5000 TL (Tubeless) tires 700x25
  • Shimano RT900 Dura-Ace rotors
  • Shimano Ultegra CS-R8000 Cassette 11-32
  • Favero Assioma pedals (306g)
  • 3T Super Ergo 44cm Bars (207g)
  • 3T ARX II Team Stem
  • Ergon SR Pro (Ti) Saddle (218g)
So, 100% complete it will be right around 17 pounds. Not bad given the aero-benefits of the frame and wheels. Anyone looking to save some more weight could easily do so by using different pedals, lighter wheels or a lighter saddle. My goal with this build was low weight but without compromising things like aero, a power meter and saddle comfort.

IIRC, the stock wieght of this bike (105 build) was 21.00 pounds. Now it is 4 pounds lighter AND has power meter pedals, deep section wheels, electronic shifting, bottle cages, and a gps and mount.

A big thanks to everyone on this forum who helped me choose components! Specifically: Dan Gerous for answering so many of my technical and compatibility questions. Hexsense for making me consider the Favero Assioma's over 4iiii with Shimano cranks (hint: SRAM Red and Assiomas save weight!), Hexsense once again, for correcting my stupid mistake and preventing me from purchasing the WRONG crankset.
Good job.

And damn 21lbs stock for a 105 build. Is there a market for a 105 groupset?

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

S6ED wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:35 pm
Dan Gerous wrote:
S6ED wrote:

These are framesets only available for the Asia/Pacific market, sadly, I really like the Sienna.
I've seen on Insta you're about to build a rather light new Evo. Have you ridden the new frameset? How does it compare to the previous model (handling, stiffness etc.)?
I have not tried the new one yet no, blind faith! 8)

I'm not 100% confident in my spreadsheeting skills, but it should be close to 6.6, 6.7kg, not bad for a disc brake semi-aero bike without resorting to tubulars and with a focus on durable/reliable/low-maintenance parts.

Needless to say, I'm looking forward to start putting it together! :mrgreen:

S6ED

by S6ED

Dan Gerous wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:27 am
S6ED wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:35 pm
Dan Gerous wrote:
S6ED wrote:

I have not tried the new one yet no, blind faith! 8)

I'm not 100% confident in my spreadsheeting skills, but it should be close to 6.6, 6.7kg, not bad for a disc brake semi-aero bike without resorting to tubulars and with a focus on durable/reliable/low-maintenance parts.

Needless to say, I'm looking forward to start putting it together! :mrgreen:
Your weight calculation should be feasible and I mean for a complete bike! My current previous gen Evo Hi-Mod disc (size 54) is 7.020kg complete with pedals, 2 bottle cages and Garmin cadence sensor and unit mount - including 60g tyre sealant. If you substract (this is how I'd build my new Evo :mrgreen: ) 55g for a new set of Mavic Cosmic wheels (1515 instead of 1570g), around 200g for DA Di2 instead of mechanical DA, and some more grams due to lightweight Robert Axle thru axles, then one could almost drop to 6.7kg. I'd definitely keep my current comfy Selle San Marco Aspide at 105g, my trusty Time 200g pedals, and the super robust 2x29g Tacx Ciro cages. By the way, the new Time cleats are infinitely longer lasting than the pevious gen ones.

Mimmo89

by Mimmo89

Dan Gerous wrote:
Any chance you could gift us a sneak peak and share the spreadsheet? 😅

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Mimmo89 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:03 am
Dan Gerous wrote:
I'll start a thread on it in due time. :wink:
I'm still working out some details...

Stendhal

by Stendhal

Mimmo89 wrote:
Dan Gerous wrote:
I'll look forward to your upcoming thread too, as I am in the market for a reasonably light disc road bike.
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

cerro

by cerro

Mimmo89 wrote:
Dan Gerous wrote:
+1, want to know what to change ;)

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

cerro wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:25 pm
Mimmo89 wrote:
Dan Gerous wrote:
Install your new wheels! :mrgreen:

flashpunk

by flashpunk

Another photo of my Supersix (size 48) with the Farsports bar/stem. Just completed the Coast Ride (San Francisco to Santa Barbara in 3 days).

ImageImageImage

cerro

by cerro

Dan Gerous wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:07 pm
cerro wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:25 pm
Mimmo89 wrote:
Dan Gerous wrote:
Install your new wheels! :mrgreen:
Got a flat front tire and need to reglue the rear tire. Also waiting for suitable rotors...

S6ED

by S6ED

flashpunk wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:19 am
Another photo of my Supersix (size 48) with the Farsports bar/stem. Just completed the Coast Ride (San Francisco to Santa Barbara in 3 days).
Nice!
Stem-bar combo looks good. Do the brake hoses go through the stem and then through the spacers and into the head tube? Could post some close up pics?
Also, what wheels are these?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

flashpunk wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:19 am
Can I request for one more side way photo dead parallel to the bike from further away (so the perspective/angle doesn't look distorted)? Step back at least 5 feet away with photography device around top tube level height, leave empty space around the bike is fine if your photography device cannot zoom in.
Artistically, your photos look nice. I just curious to see some accurate proportions.