Are We Getting A New Cannondale Supersix?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Hexsense wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:59 pm
So, they compress your frame a bit from the factory?
Is it possible that they built the bike up while the paint is not fully cured?
Like, painted but paint is still soft. Then they torque the bb down such that the area move a bit, and that leave wrinkle in the paint.

Anyway, that doesn't look concerning for me yet. Might keep an eye on it once in a blue moon. Or use bbinfinite one piece aluminum bb to stiffen the whole bb area up. Mind you, bbinfinite require you to grind the under cable port riv nut before installing.
No, the bikes are manufactured in one place and assembled in another place, usually not even in the same country so there are usually no components being installed many days/weeks after it's been painted. But white and bright colored bikes require a lot more paint to not look faded since the carbon is black, darker colors can use much thinner, less layers of paint and still look good (it's also why white/bright frames are noticably heavier than black ones). So even if the paint was cured, paint itself being a much softer and brittle material than carbon, it is possible the paint got roughened at some point in manufacturing/assembly.

It's hard to tell if it's the paint though, it could also be a bump/wrinkle in the carbon under the paint. Companies used to add fillers to carbon frames before painting to make the surfaces look more even and cosmetically perfect, but that adds weight so it's used less and less nowadays, but that means it's not uncommon to see little bumps and imperfections in the surface, especially in an area like the BB with so many plies and layers in all sorts of angles.

Or... it could be something more concerning but, as Hexsense mentionned, it doesn't look too concerning to me either and I would just keep track of it, take a look at the area once in a while, when cleaning the bike or something, if it doesn't change, probably no big deal, if you notice it getting worst, show it to your dealer.

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

Excellent info, thanks. I guess I’m worried that the extra pressure caused by the factory putting too large of a spacer there led to some damage to the carbon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thelegend103

by thelegend103

No man your kind of close its a super six but its not for road its for CX the supersic evo SE

thelegend103

by thelegend103

No man your kind of close its a super six but its not for road its for CX the supersic evo SE its been spotted around already in major USA CX races already :D

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:43 am
I would really like to use a Hollowgram crank. It seems to be what Dan Evans (former British Hill Climb champ) is doing. I thought you had to use a flattop chain with the AXS cassettes, but I don’t believe he is:

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202107 ... 5e101f.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Anyone know what handlebar is this? Farsport F1 as well?

EDITED: ah, dont worry, found it, he said himself on instgram, it's an unbranded carbon bar from Aliexpress with paint stripped.
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

req110

by req110

Can you send a link? I am interested to see which ones he is using.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

vneilv

by vneilv

Has anyone posted these yet? Supersix EVO SE?

https://ciclimattio.com/p/supersix-evo- ... 0c63b1c8e1

I'm sure that these are just mock ups but some interesting things to note.

Looks like its some sort of AXS with a flat top chain yet it has a spidering - will Cannondale update these to run 12 speed chains? I know it can work with the older 11 speed rings but an update would be nice.

Stem looks interesting, alloy but with integrated cabling. Once again could just be a mock up but would love to see a lighter version of the current Cannondale bar / stem combo.
Attachments
es.salsify.com_image_upload_s--umPIfsuk--_scimgi1so7yyo5efwnyn.jpg

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

The SuperSix Evo SE / X are entirely new frames to have room for big gravel tires and no cable routing cavity at the headtube... and yes it's just a mock-up, the wheels and drivetrain are just Photoshoped placeholders. But we posted the details on these a while ago, to save you a painful search the main difference with the normal Evo are: big gravel tire clearance, Ai offset rear triangle to allow it while keeping the stays short, PF83a bb like the current SuperX, cable routing is external at the headtube and a more standard fork (the crown shape doesn't 'flow' into the downtube, but without internal routing, no pin to limit rotation)...

They didn't Photoshop brake hoses in that mockup, the stem doesn't have internal routing, hoses exit the bars and enter the fork at the crown and the frame behind or on the side of the headtube (I don't remember exactly where, but a more conventional routing). The models that will be speced with KNØT bars will have the same setup as the KNØT bars when used on the current Synapse, Topstone and SuperX, so SAVE bars but matted to a more normal looking stem without the plastic cable covers and without integration with the headset/frame, a basic alloy stem but the interface that mates with KNØT bars...

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

You can see the stem and hose routing now and again in the newest Ted King youtube video, although he's obviously been trying to keep the bike as unrevealed as he can for now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OMjBGI2Vmg&t=181s

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

I was listening to a podcast with a Cannondale engineer and he was discussing areas of improvement of the SuperSix / SystemSix and how they were applied to the new TT bike. He mentioned that the current routing adds weight since additional material is required. On the TT bike he described what sounded like Factor VAMs solution: D shaped steerer with cables running inside the bearings. Maybe we'll see that on the next gen road bikes

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

BigBoyND wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:07 am
I was listening to a podcast with a Cannondale engineer and he was discussing areas of improvement of the SuperSix / SystemSix and how they were applied to the new TT bike. He mentioned that the current routing adds weight since additional material is required. On the TT bike he described what sounded like Factor VAMs solution: D shaped steerer with cables running inside the bearings. Maybe we'll see that on the next gen road bikes
I really hope not.

RDY

by RDY

BigBoyND wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:07 am
Sounds like another shit show waiting to happen. All of the brands that do it end up with failures and recalls. And Cannondale's recent engineering record is appalling ... head tube destroyer in MY20 Super6, cracking seatpost clamp area on Super6 MY20 & 21 and the same bike rear track having problems with clearance on SRAM AXS. Sounds dangerous to me.

Also I bet they didn't quiz this engineer about how the hell the integrated head tube destroyer made it off the drawing board ...

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

My Madone has a “truncated” steerer design with two slab sides instead of a D-shape. Haven’t hear any reports of failed steerers. Would be interested to hear opinions on how those two approaches could result in stress risers of different magnitude.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Hopefully other brand recalls mean lessons learned for future bikes. The newest VAM solution looks like it should be bullet proof. And if the Madone hasn't had issues, there should be several ways to make it work.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pmprego

by pmprego

One of the "revolutions" in the new bike frames was the d-shape truncated aerofoil thing and the frame are not breaking because of that so I'd assume if done correctly it's not a problem at all.

What i consider really important is to maintain regular 1 1/8 stem compatibility.