Are We Getting A New Cannondale Supersix?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rides4beer

by rides4beer

JimboP wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 3:34 pm
Just had a look inside mine and that seems to be the case
Thanks for the confirmation, that def makes me feel better.

matteof93

by matteof93

rides4beer wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 3:59 am
Thanks! No issues so far, about 2,600 miles on this setup. Haven't had any issues with the headtube either thankfully. I read somewhere that the 2021 frames have metal plates to help with the impact, not sure if that's true tho.
I was looking at a SupserSix Evo 105 for 2600€ but it's a 2020 model so I assume it doesn't have the metal plate :cry:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tifosiphil

by Tifosiphil

I wouldn't stress too much on this issue, in the instance where the metal "spike" has had that much force to rip through the carbon I imagine it would have made some pretty significant damage to the top tube as well if it wasn't there. Realistically I don't know what people want from frame manufacturers these days as that isn't an issue you would get from every day riding, you essentially have to be falling off to have this issue

req110

by req110

No, it's a serious issue. You don't even need to crash your bike to damage the headtube.

It happened on my my20 supersix and i don't even know how.
Luckily i got my21 replacement. Now i really like the my22 design :D
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

matteof93

by matteof93

req110 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 12:13 pm
No, it's a serious issue. You don't even need to crash your bike to damage the headtube.

I agree, it's a serious issue. I don't want to buy a bike knowing that sooner or later the headtube will start to crack because some engineer wasn't able to do his job properly (I am an engineer too).

People might say that this is not a problem because Cannondale will replace the frame. Well, I have two problems with this kind of "mentality":
  • you don't know if the crack is going to appear gradually or if the headtube is going to fail catastrophically (very unlikely, but not impossible)
  • you have to send the bike to the shop and wait for the replacement...meaning that you need another bike to keep riding in the meantime

Tifosiphil

by Tifosiphil

req110 wrote:

Really? I watched the video and from what I gathered the issue arises if you turn the bars more than the expected range. That range looks to be just under 90degrees so I don't know why you would be turning that far in normal riding conditions?

RDY

by RDY

Tifosiphil wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 2:12 pm
req110 wrote:

Really? I watched the video and from what I gathered the issue arises if you turn the bars more than the expected range. That range looks to be just under 90degrees so I don't know why you would be turning that far in normal riding conditions?
It's much lower than that, and it doesn't really matter how unloaded it is ... it's a metal blade on carbon - it's going to damage it whatever.

Jimmyrn85

by Jimmyrn85

What can I do about it? I have the smallest mark on one side, which Cannondale basically have said is my fault for turning the handlebars beyond a normal range. So my bike is barely damaged, I can just see a tiny mark. My bike is 17months old and is otherwise immaculate. Am I stuffed here?

Claim - QN 200208803
HT crack - not visible
We can re-assess if a crack image can be sent over.
Being on the forum should mean they are aware of problems and therefore able to follow the manual and avoid a problem.
For the moment we are unable to progress further.

Jackofallgrades

by Jackofallgrades

I think we're all agreed it's not the best design, but once you're aware of the issue it's quite simple to avoid... I've never been that crossed up while riding, and just have a hand on the bars when moving the bike around the house or into the car. Just takes a bit of care.
Cannondale SSEvo3 'Atticus' - 7.2kg
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=161634

Cannondale Systemsix ’Dante’ - 7.7kg
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=167144

matteof93

by matteof93

Tifosiphil wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 2:12 pm
It's 55 degrees...check out the manual at page 14 https://www.cannondale.com/-/media/file ... persix.pdf

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

Can you just grind that metal pin so it wont happend? lol

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

But unless you bang your steering like crazy Or you put it in your car and theres too much pressure on one side of the steering, i dont see how you can damage it?

rides4beer

by rides4beer

Mcdeez wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 2:47 pm
You can, but then you risk damaging the cables/hoses when you turn the bars too far, that's why it's there.

Mcdeez

by Mcdeez

rides4beer wrote:
Mcdeez wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 2:47 pm
You can, but then you risk damaging the cables/hoses when you turn the bars too far, that's why it's there.
Rather damage cable hoses than the frame...

req110

by req110

Exactly, damaging cables is less problem for me than headtube.

I have the my21 now, where there is metal plate inside headtube to make it stronger, but I

1) put some rubber on it to make impact even lighter
2) am still thinking about removing the pin on the fork, because it's useless imo.

It is an issue, it's extremely easy to damage the headtube, you don't even need to crash your bike, you can just hold the bike on the saddle and if steering goes to one side itself, hit the fork limit, you are done.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com