What frame to get (direct mount brakes)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

R2power

by R2power

Good evening fellows. Been lurking for years now and finally decited to creat an account and ask for some help.

I am on a look out for a frameset that has directmount brakes, reach of no more then 385mm with stack height of aproximetly 550mm. Also would love if it was under 2500 EUR. For now I am thinking of Colnago V2R as the most probable one. With those requirements there are Orbea Orca Aero and Canyon Aeroad. I do like Orbea but it seems to be much heavier then Colnago. Also do not like Canyon's 1 1/4" steerer tube. It does not have to be full aero frame, would actually prefer something that climbs well but with some aero optimization at the same time.
Any sugestions beside mentioned frames?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sennder

by sennder

Have you considered the Trek Emonda (SLR/SL)? Tarmac SL6 could also work.

--Sennder

wfcarrot

by wfcarrot

sennder wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:11 pm

--Sennder
+1. I will also consider Domane SLR as a comfy choice.
2018 Sworks Tarmac SL6 - 7.2kg
2017 Colnago C60 - 6.29kg

sennder

by sennder

wfcarrot wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:08 am
sennder wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:11 pm

--Sennder
+1. I will also consider Domane SLR as a comfy choice.
+1 to the Domane SLR as well. Best bike I've ridden/owned, though the geometry is a bit more relaxed that what OP prefers.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Are you planning to run wide tires? If yes then the V2R is a very poor choice. Colnago likes to make their forks with a very short crown to axle distances. This has the effect of lowering the brakes and limiting tire clearance. I’ve seen a V2R (first gen) and the tire clearance is horrible. The Domane, on the other hand, has loads of tire clearance. It will clear a 30mm measured tire with room to spare. I don’t own a Domane but I have a Domane fork on my custom bike. Also aero frames with a tight rear tire to seatstsy will limit your tire choices as well. Wide tires tend to me tall tires as well. DM brakes are designed to have great tire clearance. But if you put a DM brake on a V2R fork then you are screwed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calleking

by calleking

I've been on an Aeroad CF SLX and I'm now on a Tarmac S-Works SL6. The SL6 is obviously more comfy. I ran/run ENVE SES 4.5 on both with, for me, no clearance issues. The front rim inner width is 18.5mm and 27mm outer. The Aeroad clears ~28mm true tyre width on the rear but probably not more due to the cutout. It all depends on the tyre as some grow in height more than others. I'm pretty sure I could run 30mm true tyre width on the SL6 as there's more room in the rear. The calipers were not an issue.

As far as Direct-Mount brakes go. They're absolutely amazing and one of the reasons I didn't want to switch to discs on my road bike. The terrain where I live is flat with some hills. I have other bikes with disc brakes and they're great but Direct-Mount brakes are on another level compared to standard single bolt brakes. People keep talking about the modulation of disc brakes but the modulation on DM is also very good. They are easier to adjust and do maintenance on. Disc brakes can be a bit fiddly to set up without any rub.
2023 Wilier Rave SLR
2022 Wilier Filante SLR
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

Beaver

by Beaver

The Specialized Tarmac SL6 would match your criteria, but it's either too long or too low.

The Émonda SLR 54cm would fit in H2 and be the lightest choice - but with worst aerodynamics (the strongly sloped top tube causes a larger "frontal area").

What brakes do you want to use? I like the Dura Ace but I am a SRAM Red guy and the non series DM brake is 320g... ;) So there would be eeBrake and Bontrager Pro, but both have the charm of a scaffold. ;)

If you skip direct mount brakes there are also Cannondale SuperSix Evo II 54cm, Rose X-lite Four and Six 55cm and Orbea Orca OMR 53cm...

Marin

by Marin

I think the current gen regular brakes are just as good as direct mount, which is another useless standard in my opinion.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

Marin wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:42 am
I think the current gen regular brakes are just as good as direct mount, which is another useless standard in my opinion.
Doesnt help the OP much though, does it?!

Beaver

by Beaver

If he realizes that he wants something he doesn't really need, it might. ;)

Tour Mag. also proclaimed the latest Shimano brakes (which are really "fat", one has to admit) to be as good as their direct mount counterparts...
bruno2000 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:02 pm
Kuota Kougar: https://www.kuota.be/nl/fietsen/race/kuota-kougar
M too low, L to long...

photek

by photek

The Emonda SLR is on special offer in Europe direct from Trek for 2400. Yes, not aero...but super light.

The Bontrager Speed Pro brakes are light, powerful and have great modulation - eeBrakes are still the best though ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2019 Trek Emonda SLR, SRAM eTap groupset, eeBrakes G4, Berk Lupina Saddle, TUNE Schwarzbrenner 60mm wheelset - 6.4 kg

Beaver

by Beaver

photek wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:07 pm
The Emonda SLR is on special offer in Europe direct from Trek for 2400. Yes, not aero...but super light.

The Bontrager Speed Pro brakes are light, powerful and have great modulation - eeBrakes are still the best though ;-)
Why is the 2019 model on offer and not the 2018 model?

Js2

by Js2

calleking wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:30 am
I've been on an Aeroad CF SLX and I'm now on a Tarmac S-Works SL6. The SL6 is obviously more comfy. I ran/run ENVE SES 4.5 on both with, for me, no clearance issues. The front rim inner width is 18.5mm and 27mm outer. The Aeroad clears ~28mm true tyre width on the rear but probably not more due to the cutout. It all depends on the tyre as some grow in height more than others. I'm pretty sure I could run 30mm true tyre width on the SL6 as there's more room in the rear. The calipers were not an issue.

As far as Direct-Mount brakes go. They're absolutely amazing and one of the reasons I didn't want to switch to discs on my road bike. The terrain where I live is flat with some hills. I have other bikes with disc brakes and they're great but Direct-Mount brakes are on another level compared to standard single bolt brakes. People keep talking about the modulation of disc brakes but the modulation on DM is also very good. They are easier to adjust and do maintenance on. Disc brakes can be a bit fiddly to set up without any rub.
I concur, Direct Mount R9100 is the bees knees! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

if you gonna bike a bike now, you should really consider hydro disk, it will allow you to run expensive carbon wheelset all day everyday