What frame to get (direct mount brakes)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

R2power

by R2power

With Trek I do not like the idea of seat mast. As I travel with my bike very often having that part that is protruding high above the frame does not appeal at all.
Did not even think about Kuota as it's very unfamiliar brand to me. Geometry would probably work with 5mm spacer and a bit longer stem but I do not like the looks of it.
Tarmac would probably be a lot more appealing if I could find it at a lower price. But at almost 4000 Euros for the S-works frame it's a no go. I cannot find any of their lower grade frames sold separately and not as part of the bike. I was thinking of even getting the whole bike and selling all of the parts but where I live it's really hard to sell off anything bike related at this level so that might be something to think about if I do not go for something else.
I do not plan to go bigger then 25mm tires so will not have any issues with clearance on Colnago.
I somehow got irrationally attached to idea of direct mount brakes so regular caliper mount is no longer an option, although it's limiting the choice. I do not need disc brakes, also I am not concerned about value of the bike as I do not plan to sell it any time soon.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

A 23mm that measures 25mm true size might work on the V2R. A 25mm that measures 27mm true size will be a tight fit. I went to see a V2R in person. Colnago put some unfamiliar tire on the bike (can’t recall the model) and those tires don’t even measure to the width marked on the tire! Yes I brought a digital caliper with me. A tight fitting frame/fork will give you problems such as paint scratches from small pebbles getting stuck between the tire and the fork/frame. I once had an aero bike and had to come to a full stop on a fast group ride to remove a stuck pebble while riding on a freshly chip sealed road. You may not want wide tires but extra clearance even when running narrower tires is so nice. My advice is to find a bike with extra tire clearance even if you don’t plan on riding with wide tires. The V2R isn’t such a bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

R2power

by R2power

Thank you for this input. I have set of wheels arriving in next few days so will take a meassurement of tyres mounted on them and see how big they actually are.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

You’re welcome. I did a climbing ride yesterday and several descents had really crappy roads. I ran over some big ruts that were horizontal across the road so there’s no way to avoid them. I’m running GP5K 28mm that measures a true 28mm (GP4K 28mm measures out to >30mm). I took so many big hits but the wheels and bike survived. Honestly I think my rims could be damaged if I had only 25mm on. It’s always nice to have the option to run wide should you change your mind later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R2power

by R2power

While browsing road section someone opened topic on BMC Teammachine in slr02 iteration. Geometry fits, price as well. I guess weight penalty for size 54 compared to 50s would be some 200g. Do you recon this would be on pair with Colnago v2r when it comes to stiffness and ride quality?