Bike aesthetic questions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

survivor

by survivor

This may seems pity but I would assume most cyclists care about some extend of their bike aesthetic. I guess this topic can be dedicated to all bike aesthetic related questions.

I personally have one bike aesthetic question right now. I have white frame road bike but everything else (bar, stem, bar tape, seat post, saddle, wheels) is black. In this situation, what bottle cage color do you think looks the best? Black or white?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

The best option for aesthetics is no cage but if you have to have cages then I say black

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

themidge

by themidge

Black. White never looks good. Ever.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

I’m yet to see the first white set of cages in any bike that looks good regardless of the bike, cages, or anything else. Black is the “go to”!

survivor

by survivor

Looks like it is hands down black for the cage!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

themidge wrote:Black. White never looks good. Ever.
I like a man of conviction, especially when he’s right.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Black cages, but you need a white seatpost though as well as black shorts, predominantly white top, white helmet, white shoes (& socks probably). Your choice: black or white sunnies and gloves. You're overdoing the Wiggo tribute if you add blue and red in your kit.
:smartass: :smartass: :smartass:
Less is more.

bilwit

by bilwit

best to go with predominantly black everything when you have a white frame so that it gives it a bit more pop

StanK

by StanK

If all black parts is your choice, then black cages is way to go. It's obvious, actually. It will look better that way.
But, as white and black goes with everything, white can go with white too. Just, recent trend/fashion is black, black, black and it's echoed here to great extent.

I also have a white frame (probably would not be my first choice if I had the opportunity to choose, but it really has grown on me), and I decided to put some more white parts. Only black parts would almost be like saying: "I really don't like that white frame".
It's personally really, and I was never fan of trends. And of black colour (on) bikes, too.

bilwit

by bilwit

StanK wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:25 pm
If all black parts is your choice, then black cages is way to go. It's obvious, actually. It will look better that way.
But, as white and black goes with everything, white can go with white too. Just, recent trend/fashion is black, black, black and it's echoed here to great extent.

I also have a white frame (probably would not be my first choice if I had the opportunity to choose, but it really has grown on me), and I decided to put some more white parts. Only black parts would almost be like saying: "I really don't like that white frame".
It's personally really, and I was never fan of trends. And of black colour (on) bikes, too.
Having black accessories with a white bike maximizes the contrast with the frame, thus making it stand out more. That is a matter of objective, aesthetic taste, not trend. Trend would be all the guys that do the black-for-blacks-sake thing with matte black helmet/glasses/frame/tape/shoes/jersey/saddle/etc.

When Cavendish was World Champion he insisted on an all black bike, black bibs, black helmet, black everything for the sole purpose of drawing your eye to the jersey alone. It's the same principle when having a white frame. Similarly, (relevant to the OPs Wiggins bike) Wiggins opted for black tape/saddle/accessories with his white bike in 2012 when he was still the British road champion for similar reasons despite doing the all white/white thing in 2011.

survivor

by survivor

With glossy white Mandible Arundel bottle cages

With 3K weave glossy black Mandible Arundel bottle cages

With matt black ENVE bottle cages

So the verdict is.........???

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The verdict is a matte black Blackburn Cinches or Bontrager Pros.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

You have to use same cage 2 days and then swap to another ;-)
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

mendiz

by mendiz

I think black over white, the frame pops much more , I like that, another question would be black or titanium.
You don´t stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding.

StanK

by StanK

bilwit wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:42 pm
Having black accessories with a white bike maximizes the contrast with the frame, thus making it stand out more. That is a matter of objective, aesthetic taste, not trend. Trend would be all the guys that do the black-for-blacks-sake thing with matte black helmet/glasses/frame/tape/shoes/jersey/saddle/etc.

When Cavendish was World Champion he insisted on an all black bike, black bibs, black helmet, black everything for the sole purpose of drawing your eye to the jersey alone. It's the same principle when having a white frame. Similarly, (relevant to the OPs Wiggins bike) Wiggins opted for black tape/saddle/accessories with his white bike in 2012 when he was still the British road champion for similar reasons despite doing the all white/white thing in 2011.
It's a matter of focus. If you want just frame to stands out, then you are right and I agree with you how to get there. But someone may want different thing, maybe that a whole bike "stands out". Then you have to play differently.

But that' wasn't the question.
And now we have pics in topic with white and black bidon cage on white frame. Which is better? For me, none. Both look equally good. If that is my bike I would put white (it's just personal preference), but black would be in place too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com