Canyon Ultimate - safe to buy or new model imminent?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Shrike

by Shrike

Any rumours on a new release? Canyon usually run a sale around the Tour and am considering grabbing an Ultimate (WMN Force AXS model) then, but for the sake of a 10% discount or whatever it'd be, I'm thinking I'd rather grab a newer model for a little more if it were out just a month or two later.

Any ideas? Aeroad seems to be getting dated too..

by Weenie

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

If anything I'd expect the Aeroad to receive an update before the Ultimate. Canyon flagship road frame launches typically happens around one of the Grand Tours if I am not mistaken, and most often the frames can be seen ridden by a pro or two before that happens. If Katusha or Movistar riders are spotted riding something different around say Criterium du Dauphine or Tour de Suisse then I'd expect an announcement at the Tour de France.

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Keep an eye on the UCI approved frame/fork list. There's a chance a new Ultimate is coming sooner than a new Aeroad but neither has shown up on that list.

https://www.uci.org/docs/default-source ... f041a35_42

Shrike

by Shrike

Ah nice. Didn’t see anything registered for 2019 so that means no chance this year or just hasn’t been registered yet? Does it update regularly?

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Shrike wrote:Ah nice. Didn’t see anything registered for 2019 so that means no chance this year or just hasn’t been registered yet? Does it update regularly?
It gets updated all the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sokim

by sokim

It has been 4yrs since I bought "New" ultimate CF SLX. And there was so many of branches such as ultimate CF EVO. Although there's no plan for 2019, definately they should come out with new one in 2020.

robeambro

by robeambro

Shrike wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:53 pm
Any rumours on a new release? Canyon usually run a sale around the Tour and am considering grabbing an Ultimate (WMN Force AXS model) then, but for the sake of a 10% discount or whatever it'd be, I'm thinking I'd rather grab a newer model for a little more if it were out just a month or two later.

Any ideas? Aeroad seems to be getting dated too..
You have a "fake problem", since by the time TdF starts, you will know already whether a new model will be launched. So you will not be purchasing a discounted "old" model only to see a new surprise release later on..

robertbb

by robertbb

Canyon Australia told me by phone this week they are unaware of any new Ultimate model.

Interestingly, he said when it does drop that they may move away from rim brakes entirely (which for me would mean no more Canyons!)

Roel W

by Roel W

They still sell the previous model (in outlet).
The current model is still okay. Aside from direct mount brakes for the rim versions, I don't see any major improvements that could be made.
Aeroad is becoming outdated regarding other brands aero bikes.
CANYON Ultimate AL 2010
CANYON Ultimate CF SL 2014
CANYON Ultimate CF SL disc 2018
Instagram @roeleur

Shrike

by Shrike

Canyon emailed out a 5% code today which takes the bike to £4,131.. tempting!

And yes, not sure what they'd do to improve to Ultimate, probably make it more aero?

I'd love to see the current gen Ultimate v the latest R5 and S Works Tarmac in aero data. If it was close then I'd be more likely to hit the button :shock:

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Shrike wrote:I'd love to see the current gen Ultimate v the latest R5 and S Works Tarmac in aero data. If it was close then I'd be more likely to hit the button :shock:
I can’t imagine the difference between these models to be great. With an aero cockpit on the Ultimate and an aero wheel setup, could anyone actually tell the difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ichobi

by ichobi

Tour actually tested all those bike together last year. The tarmac was the fastest followed by R5 and the Ultimate just a few watts behind. The tamac was about 10 watts slower than the Venge Vias. However Tour tested in factory spec which means the Tarmac used round handle bar. The Ultimate has a proper aerobar and the R5 has a semi aero bar.

Tarmac 221 watts
Ultimate 226
R5 223
Vias 209

This suggests the Tarmac frame is a little faster than the R5 and the Ultimate despite being held back by its round bar. If we put an aerobar on the tarmac it would be probably just 5-y watts behind the Venge and about 8-10 watts ahead of the Cervelo and Canyon.

Beaver

by Beaver

In the current Tour Mag. issue Canyon proclaimed not to develop new rim brake models anymore, so if, there will only be a disc brake model...

romanmoser

by romanmoser

seems consistent with what they have done ( in collaboration with sram zipp ) with their teams sponsored

more monney for those still producing rim brakes bikes :mrgreen:

robeambro

by robeambro

Could be that they keep the older gen frames to be equipped with rim brakes, but it is quite possible that they focused their R&D to only develop a new model with discs..

by Weenie