11 speed chainset and 9 speed cassette - best chain option?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Shrike

by Shrike

Putting a 105 r8000 chainset on a 9 speed sora groupset (wanted a power meter on). Wondering if it's best to go for a 9 speed chain or an 11 speed chain for least noise and issues. Don't fancy upgrading whole groupset just yet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Measure the chainring spacing on your old chainset and shim the 11s rings apart to somewhere inbetween (please help confirm).

Use a 10s chain perhaps. It's the closest matching to both chainset and cassette.

You might want to change the rd guide pulley to one with little sideplay (steel ball bearing one). On 105 and lower groups the pulleys use bushings which allow for excessive sideplay. This will cause shifting issues, especially when you narrow the chain.

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Match the chain to the cassette and derailleurs. Shouldn't need to fiddle with ring spacing. Chainline has changed slightly with the latest generation of shimano but should work OK.
105 is r7000, Ultegra r8000.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I would run the 10 speed chain as I know it will be okay on the 9sp cassette and should be okay on the 11sp rings. I have run 10 sp chain on my 9 sp cassette before and it shifts great if the RD is in good working order. The only thing you have to really watch for set up is the FD as you will need to run it tighter inside and outside the chainrings but thats not a big deal. You might get away with the 11sp chain but the FD should be changed to 11 as well IMO. I am not saying it cant be done if you are handy at derailleur setup but just a little more trickey.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

2lo8

by 2lo8

Cassettes usually don’t care about narrower chains. That’s why they sell 6/7/8 chains. FDs and chainrings are a bit pickier about chain width. FDs are chapped for a certain with chain, try shifting a 9sp chain with a 7sp FD and it won’t work well. Chainrings need the balance between being wide enough to to land on the teeth and narrow enough not to rub.

Would you use a 9 speed chain on an 10 speed cassette for 1x10? No, so you shouldn’t run it on 2x10 etc. It only kind of works when there are large gaps in tooth counts and the chain has room to move outboard without hitting another cog. The limiting factor of every generation of group sets is engineering a chain narrow enough for +1 cog.

Rules of thumb for what works well enough, other combinations will still work.

FD +-1 spd
Crank +-1 spd
Cassette -0/+2 spd
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

Shrike

by Shrike

Thanks guys, going to test it later today with the 11 speed chain. Basically went from 46/30 9 speed to 50/34 11 speed chainset. Just moved the FD up a little and did a rough job of setting the cable tension so it'd shift rings.

Will see what issues need fixed after riding around on it but indoors it seems alright on the KMC 9 speed chain.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Can you take a picture of that 46/30 9sp chainset? I'm curious to have a look. :D

Shrike

by Shrike

No pic at hand right now but it's this:

https://www.singletrackbikes.co.uk/m7b5 ... YMQAvD_BwE

Comes specs'd as standard on Topstone Sora models. If interested I have two sets of them to sell + the cartridge BBs to go with them.

Did a few hours today on my franken groupset and it all seems to work nicely :shock:

No chain drops or shifting issues so quite pleased with it so far.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Congratulations.

Cool chainset. I knew fsa made adventure cranks but I had no idea the simple one was 8-9sp. Learned something today.

Mudal

by Mudal

Ooooh thanks for this... I was hoping to get the grx 1x chainset with a view to changing over the other bits later and was wondering if this would work and I think it could as it's similar to your setup

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com