Questions about going 1X

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

I’m thinking of going 1X on my addict r1.

Currently I have an older generation sram red 10sp group with crank running QXL 52/34 w/ red wifli RD 11/32.

Questions:
1. Is there a particular lightweight 46T oval chainring that I can use for 1X? Just worried if there would be chaindrop issue?

2. What kind of chainring bolts would I need since original would be too long to use for single ring right?

3. I have a 11/36t I’m planning to use with wifli. May want to go 42t back, not sure if my wifli med cage would take it?

4. Would I have any alignment issue to run 1X?

I’m hoping by going this route it’ll be lighter and more dedicated climbing bike... getting old and knee is bad so need all the help I can to get uphill.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

1. Many.. look for the words "narrow wide chainring".. those are usually made for 1x ( I like absoluteblack, but they are many others)
2. The usually come with them... well in absoluteblack case they do... you get the ones to match your crank
3. No idea of wifli can take a 42... you might need a roadlink
4. In absoluteblack case the chainring has a different offset then 2x chainring.. for a better chainline. I'm sure others have also thought of this.

Depending on components weight could be a wash.or net gain. really depends on the cassette. If you are willing to spend the money the overall system can be less weight. Why not consider sub compact chainrings.. either 48/32 or 46/30. They are out there.
Last edited by spdntrxi on Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

addictR1 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:45 am

Currently I have an older generation sram red 10sp group with crank running QXL 52/34 w/ red wifli RD 11/32.

Questions:
1. Is there a particular lightweight 46T oval chainring that I can use for 1X? Just worried if there would be chaindrop issue?

2. What kind of chainring bolts would I need since original would be too long to use for single ring right?

3. I have a 11/36t I’m planning to use with wifli. May want to go 42t back, not sure if my wifli med cage would take it?

I’m hoping by going this route it’ll be lighter and more dedicated climbing bike... getting old and knee is bad so need all the help I can to get uphill.

Thanks in advance.

Use some common sense here.

The huge pie plate of a 11-42t cassette would negate any weight savings you gain from ditching an FD and a chainring. In addition 46x42 is clearly worse than 34x32.

addictR1

by addictR1

Humm.. so maybe a subcompact would be the way to go? Just don’t want to lose my top end on the flat. Or would there be shifting issue if I run 52/32 or change to 50/32?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

You can already go 50/34x11-32t. What more do you need? You could probably even use an HG800 Ultegra 11-34t with your WiFli derailleur without a RoadLink for a 1:1 bailout gear. That's better than the 46x11-42t you were thinking of running on all fronts. It has a higher top end, a lower low end and smaller gear ratio jumps.

Caadnme

by Caadnme

WiFli definitely won’t work with 42t.
Also think about your chain line. Any 1x setup is a big compromise.
On a double setup, you are using the inner ring when using your inner, biggest gear. This gives a staighter chain line. A lot more efficient and better chainring life.
The whole 1x thing is required to use clutched dérailleurs and narrow-wide chainring to keep the chain on the chainring in rough off-road conditions. It is a compromise. You loose efficiency, you gain chain stability. Do you meed this chain stabilization?

Alfus

by Alfus

addictR1 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:45 am

Questions:

Thanks in advance.

Road X1?? after the dissaster of Degengkolb??

Never, thanks!

andrey

by andrey

That's interesting how switching between on/off saddle mode feels like using 1x12, 1x11 or 1x10 setup. Espesially on a steep hill

Upshift from 34 to 50 or 39 to 53 is done at once as well as corresponding downshift. But with 1x11... You have to click 3 times? Upshift maybe fine, but downshift seems a bit slow and uncomfortable. Electronic shifting has multishift mode, but does it really works quick and useful?

jfranci3

by jfranci3

If you're experimenting with it, just change the chainring and use your current FD as a chainguide. It'll save some hassle if you wan to to bail.

For bolts, sometimes you can get away with the standard ones, otherwise you'll need special ones. I tired Wolftooth units, but found them too soft, stripping too easily.

AJS914

by AJS914

addictR1 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:05 am
Humm.. so maybe a subcompact would be the way to go? Just don’t want to lose my top end on the flat. Or would there be shifting issue if I run 52/32 or change to 50/32?
There zero reason to use those gears if you have a compact/mid-compact.

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

if you want to go 1X you better go with the new RED AXS because the old etap RD does not have clutch, alternatively you can go with shimano 9170 w/ xtr di2 RD

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Hmm, 1x on a road bike?
We aren't there yet because on most modern bikes there are about 14 gears that are actually used, so even with a 12 speed you're gonna be missing two gears. Then you'd need a 11-42 cassette running what front cog I'm not sure? 40T? But then you're going to be so crosschained you're goona lose loads of watts.

Then I don't totally trust narrow wide rings in terms of high speed free drive hub bodies so chain slack or chain suck at speed is a worry, as basically a front dreailleur is clever, it's also a chain guide.

But if you were sure, and lets say it was more for cobbles, gravel etc then I'd plump for a chain retention device like this:

Or even better I used to love the BBG bashwich, if someone made that for road, well that would be great.

I'm sympathetic because I was stoked to turn my MTB into a relaible 1x9 rig years ago, and ditch those complex, heavier, and fugly lumps of FDR. 1x has a place in nearly every type of cycling except road racing IMHO. You just can't beat the close cog range with minimal crosschaining 2x provides. :thumbup:

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I'm using a 9070M XTR RD.. clutched so going to try 1x sans chaincatcher first. The is a gravel/rode bike so I'm not super worried about the loss of number of gears. I have an XTR FD as well.. so sometime down the road I can go back to 2x. Using a 40t with 10-44 XG1199 cassette for now. I will order a 44t front ring down the road and I also have E13 9-46t TRS Race cassette at my disposle.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

jfranci3

by jfranci3

AJS914 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:08 pm
addictR1 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:05 am
There zero reason to use those gears if you have a compact/mid-compact.
Basically this.
Your gear range doesn't make a lot of sense. Between running 2x on a road bike and running 1x with a 42t cassette, you're probably not going to see a benefit. 1x is a great case for bumpy roads and limited speed ranges, but not such a bargain in other areas.

You still need to run a chain retainer upfront because the chain is going to fall off whenever you take the wheel off with the RD lock on. The added cassette weight offsets the FD , inner ring weight savings. The rear shifting is better, but it doesn't make up for the lack of range.

FWIW - You don't need a clutch for 1x road, and I wouldn't get an RD with one (maybe the Shimano setup) because of the hassle/mess involved with the chanin when you take the rear wheel off or you have a chain drop - also the oval ring you want to run. 1x road is fine if you're in a flat area and don't need a lot of top speed (I get ~50kph out of 42x11).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tepextate

by tepextate

Bumping an old thread, as I'm considering going with a 1x for simplicity on a Tarmac SL7 and wanted to see if there are any of you running 1x's these days and if so, what your experiences with them are.

I ride in NYC, which has some hills (parks, Bear Mountain, etc.). The Tarmac SL7 has an equivalent low gear and high gear to my current bike, but of course the jumps in between are a bit larger.