power2max on Ultegra drivetrain

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rwanou

by rwanou

Thanks for all the advise. I didn't make my mind yet, I'll give myself a bit more time (I'm expecting a second child any day now, so I'll be off the sadlle for a while anyway).

But for me, it really breaks down into either the "older" but discontinued/outdated conf, meaning Type S + 3D24 + Praxis Works chainrings (110 5 bolts) or "newer" and more durable/versatile/Shimano compatible NGeco + Aldhu (110 4 bolts). Same price, only in the first case I get chainrings worth 100€ extra.

Good thing about the Aldhu, is that I can buy a 4 bolts Shimano compatible spider, should I need to transfer the cranks to another bike and yet reuse my chainrings.

I'll let you know what I get.
Canyon Endurace CF SL Disc 8.0 SL / Triban RC 520

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lightweenie

by Lightweenie

According to the rotor website, the 3D24 also has 43.5mm chainline and not 45mm as stated in the original post.

rwanou

by rwanou

Lightweenie wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:54 pm
According to the rotor website, the 3D24 also has 43.5mm chainline and not 45mm as stated in the original post.
indeed, you are right. I did not double check and based myself upon p2m website. https://rotorbike.com/catalog/default/3d24-2.html

Bordcla

by Bordcla

Using the NGEco with Rotor 3d24 with my original R8000 Ultegra chainrings. No issues. If anything, easier to use than the original Shimano crankset.

Only minor glitch so far has been PM battery coming loose and not transmitting. Just pressed in and out cap back in place. No issues since.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

How about a shimano original pwm? The budget seems to be up there...

rwanou

by rwanou

alcatraz wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:52 am
How about a shimano original pwm? The budget seems to be up there...
Shimano PM only comes in Durace, and the price is around 1300€, way out of my budget.

kafreeman

by kafreeman

You can get two P2Max for one DA power meter.

I also got the NGEco + Rotor 3d24 on two bikes, came fully assembled ready to replace the 6800 crank.

The crank arm is VERY close to the front derailleur on the gravel bike though. FDR8000, chain rubs a bit in the higher gears.

For the OP, I'd go with the Aldhu and NGEco if you can swap axles if you get a new frame in the future.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

pointyhairedboss

by pointyhairedboss

Bordcla wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:41 pm
Using the NGEco with Rotor 3d24 with my original R8000 Ultegra chainrings. No issues. If anything, easier to use than the original Shimano crankset.

Only minor glitch so far has been PM battery coming loose and not transmitting. Just pressed in and out cap back in place. No issues since.
I’ve just bought the same setup. Installation was simple and after a slight adjustment of the FD, all running perfectly. Didn’t see the need to buy the Aldhu as I have no plans to use oval rings. New cranks with the Shimano rings look pretty nice - better than I had originally thought. Shame it’s not a perfect seamless look but at this price, it’s hard to beat.