Drivetrain clicking/twitching

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Any chain would have eliminated the click. Just pay attention to the fit of your quicklink to ensure it and its joining inner links stretch at a similar rate as the rest of the chain.

gurk700

by gurk700

Could be pedal bearings too. At least I had that issue on a rental bike. Drove me crazy until I figured it out.

Oh nvm just saw you fixed it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

StanK

by StanK

alcatraz wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 2:51 am
Any chain would have eliminated the click.
Probably another PYC would as well. But for how long?
alcatraz wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 2:51 am
Just pay attention to the fit of your quicklink to ensure it and its joining inner links stretch at a similar rate as the rest of the chain.
If DA would work flawlesly through their entire duty time, then really don't see point in fidling with quick-link anymore.
PYC was bought with their own-quick link supplied, as I alredy mentioned. Truth to be told, I probably wouldn't buy it if I knew that contains quick-link - I only figure that out when chain arrived.
Maybe ther quick-link is rubbish, maybe chain would work better with some other quick-link. Maybe not.

Maybe would even better worked with Shimano pin. If someone tried this, that's the information I'd really like to hear right now.

mattr

by mattr

bikeboy1tr wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:38 pm
wilwil wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:46 pm
You must try this: put grease in between the mech hanger and the frame. Especially if it is a BMC frame with a mech hanger that sandwiches the frame drop out.
Wow this isnt something I would have thought of as normally you just check the fasteners are tight for hanger and dropouts. Is this an issue that BMC has with some frames wilwil. This makes me think that there is not a good fit between hanger and frame where it fastens.
It's an issue with almost all replaceable hangers, have had bikes from all the major brands including most styles of hanger as well that have clicked at some point. Latest through axle style seems to have pretty much eliminated it though. i.e. i've not yet seen a clicky hanger on a through axle bike.

mattr

by mattr

And didn't someone last week flag up an issue with quick links of this design causing issues on campag 12 speed? The undercut on the 11 sprocket wasn't deep enough to clear the sideplate......