How to get rid of hole in Giant Propel top tube insert with SRAM Etap

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Nickldn

by Nickldn

IMG_20190512_155230.jpg
Spent a few hours riding the bike now and adjusting the fit. Feels much better now. Settled on seat nearly as far back as it'll go, could go back another 5mm I guess.

Noticed one of my cleats was a bit of line this morning. Pedal stroke felt different on the left knee when riding so checked cleats when I got home and sure enough the left cleat was about 2mm out of line.

It's totally amazing how much difference a few mm can make (she said :P).

by Weenie

Djakninn

by Djakninn

filip00 wrote:That saddle-bar position looks horrendous, I'm sorry to comment that. My intention is not to be mean, but maybe you should reconsider your bike choice. Having such an enormous stack means you're definitely not flexible enough to ride such a bike, and the saddle position just puts you in a more uncomfortable position, unsustainable for rides longer than half hour - I presume you are suffering while riding in such a position.

I also read you're getting used to it, experimenting etc - but the fact that you have a 90mm stem just tells me that you obviously took a frame that's too large for you, or simply has the geometry with far too long top tube for your flexibility and/or body proportions. I'd suggest getting a fitting (like mattr above mentioned), and look into a different frameset geometry, as this probably isn't the frameset for you.
How does a 90mm stem indicate a frame size that is incorrect???
Almost all bike manufacturers spec smaller sized frames with 90mm stems?
Or were you stating a 90mm stem length in conjunction with the slammed forward saddle?

Regardless. The xs and small have near identical reaches so a size down wouldn't help there, but the stack on the xs is a fair bit lower, so the spacer height would be even worse. Personally, if using that many spacers with a headtube that tall, i would think the geometry isn't right for the OP. I'm hedging my bets and reckoning maybe too much reach and thinking the strain on the back is from stack height when it's from being more stretched out than what is the norm.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

chorus88

by chorus88

I'm 168 cm (5'-6"), and I'm planning to buy a (SM) TCR Advanced SL frame.
If I was going to buy a Propel Advanced SL, it would be a (XS) frame.
When Technology Becomes Emotion

Djakninn

by Djakninn

I'm 169cm and went for TCR in xs, due to the small having too high a stack for me.

filip00

by filip00

Djakninn wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 8:11 pm
filip00 wrote:That saddle-bar position looks horrendous, I'm sorry to comment that. My intention is not to be mean, but maybe you should reconsider your bike choice. Having such an enormous stack means you're definitely not flexible enough to ride such a bike, and the saddle position just puts you in a more uncomfortable position, unsustainable for rides longer than half hour - I presume you are suffering while riding in such a position.

I also read you're getting used to it, experimenting etc - but the fact that you have a 90mm stem just tells me that you obviously took a frame that's too large for you, or simply has the geometry with far too long top tube for your flexibility and/or body proportions. I'd suggest getting a fitting (like mattr above mentioned), and look into a different frameset geometry, as this probably isn't the frameset for you.
How does a 90mm stem indicate a frame size that is incorrect???
Almost all bike manufacturers spec smaller sized frames with 90mm stems?
Or were you stating a 90mm stem length in conjunction with the slammed forward saddle?

Regardless. The xs and small have near identical reaches so a size down wouldn't help there, but the stack on the xs is a fair bit lower, so the spacer height would be even worse. Personally, if using that many spacers with a headtube that tall, i would think the geometry isn't right for the OP. I'm hedging my bets and reckoning maybe too much reach and thinking the strain on the back is from stack height when it's from being more stretched out than what is the norm.

Why get so upset? Looking at the stack, saddle position, AND the 90mm stem, one easily concludes that there's something wrong. In my opinion, geometry no doubt.

Djakninn

by Djakninn

I wasn't upset, it was a question. Look at my 3rd sentence.
Your reply pretty much answers that for me so, so all good.
I think things can be taken out of context when in type

Catagory6

by Catagory6

frommel wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:21 am
I hope that sticker is removable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i hope its aero

filip00

by filip00

Djakninn wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 2:49 pm
I wasn't upset, it was a question. Look at my 3rd sentence.
Your reply pretty much answers that for me so, so all good.
I think things can be taken out of context when in type Image

Cheers :beerchug:

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Nickldn wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:22 pm

Generally I'm happy with the seat height and now need to get the seat distance to the bars set by reference to KOPS (crank at 3 o'clock, knee above pedal spindle).
From now on please ignore KOPS, it's a busted myth. My correct fit put my knee at 2cm in front of pedal spindle, for example.

Multiple competent fitters can explain why it's doesn't matter where your knee is in relation to pedal spindle at 3 o' clock. This is one example:
https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bi ... oad-bikes/

Djakninn wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:30 pm
I'm 169cm and went for TCR in xs, due to the small having too high a stack for me.

Was it based on -17 degree stem? (Pro Vibe stem also offer 1 1/2" (AKA OD2) version and come in -10 and -17 degree).

If -17 degree stem+ size S is sufficiently low, consider S.
Giant Propel and TCR use single fork offset across all sizes, the XS have slacker head tube angle without appropriate (higher) fork offset. It result in high trail number (sluggish handling at speed).

Djakninn

by Djakninn

I started with a -17 stem, but it was closing my hip angle too much, so just stuck on Giant -8.
I know about the trail issue with the xs, but i find it to fine at speed, in fact i've been quicker on it than my Madone 7 H1. It just seems to suit me really well. I have a Propel in a S with a -17 stem, but it feels like a boat compared to the TCR. The TCR does look like a bmx frame in xs due to the compact geometry though.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Djakninn wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 3:10 pm
I started with a -17 stem, but it was closing my hip angle too much, so just stuck on Giant -8.
Well, in that case, the size S is small enough for you.

-8 compare to -17 degree of 100mm long stem has 16mm difference in height (more difference for longer stem).
Stack Difference of XS and S is 12mm.

So both without spacers, S with -17 is atleast 4mm lower than XS with -8 stem.

PS. atleast 4mm difference, but probably actually is 5-6mm due to head tube angle difference also.

Djakninn

by Djakninn

Yes you're correct. Here's the thing, i picked the TCR frame up for not much money, so i knew if i didn't like it, i could sell it again and make my money back no probs. Now i can't compare it to a small TCR, but i have my Propel and all i know at this point in time is that the TCR seems to suit me perfectly for whatever reason ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ . Maybe it's psychological??? All i know is that i'm setting alot of PR's at the moment and my training is going great on it : )