How to get rid of hole in Giant Propel top tube insert with SRAM Etap

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Nickldn

by Nickldn

Didn't feel any more comfy on a smaller frame either. Propel's got a sporty geometry, but it feels better than my old bike.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Nickldn wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:24 pm
when I move forward it's sometimes to get on the drops, so it's nice to get a change in height.
Why?

by Weenie

deepakvrao

by deepakvrao

Karvalo wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:06 pm
Nickldn wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:41 pm
It's definitely on the larger side for me,
Um. In form or not, needing to use all the spacers on a too big bike is not a good sign that it's the right bike.
Yes, I should also think so. Maybe a bike with a different geometry would have been a better fit?

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Put the seat level today, it really wasn't comfy on long rides. :mrgreen:

Propel geometry feels OK when I'm in the zone, true it's hardly an all round bike, but then I got one of these already. Might drop the bars a bit in a couple of weeks, just want to get used to the bike first.

Deep aero wheels are causing me the most concern right now, gotta get used to crosswinds not being much fun at 35mph.
Attachments
IMG_20190419_173950.jpg

jih

by jih

Having a second front wheel for the windiest days helps a lot (rear is fine deep unless you don’t like the look of having different depths)

jih

by jih

What occurs to me is that you have the saddle really high, and also the bars really high. This suggests that you’re trying to build the bike to be as if it were a larger size.

But you also have the saddle really far forwards, which suggests that you’re trying to make it as if it were a smaller size.

Probably, the best bike for you is one that is quite tall but not very long.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

The seat post is sized so that I can reach the ground on tip toes with cleats. Feels the right distance from the pedals for me.

As for reach to the bars, I don't know if it's shorter than normal, maybe it is. I've got a 90mm stem, but I don't like leaning forward too much, as it puts strain on my neck and shoulders. That's why I have the stack set high for now. That's why I didn't get on with a XS size frame, I had the seat set really high compared to the bars, which made it uncomfortable. I think for the Propel the reach for a XS frame is just 10mm less than a S frame, so I went with a S size.

I just think that I need to get more flexible to get the stem height down and be more AERO!!

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Nickldn wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:39 pm
The seat post is sized so that I can reach the ground on tip toes with cleats. Feels the right distance from the pedals for me.
He's not saying you have the saddle set high relative to you, he's saying you have the saddle set high relative to the bike size. Not sure I fully agree, but that's the point being made.
That's why I didn't get on with a XS size frame, I had the seat set really high compared to the bars, which made it uncomfortable. I think for the Propel the reach for a XS frame is just 10mm less than a S frame, so I went with a S size.
Again, no one in the world looking at your setup would suggest going down a size. That would be insane.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

On the Giant size chart for the Propel I'm right on the cusp of a XS and S frame. I tried both and the S felt better. There's no way I could have gone a size higher.

In fact I had quite a lot of the integrated seat post cut off, only about 11cm out of 30cm remains.

To be honest Propel geometry is challenging, it's that kind of bike. I think I just need to get used to it and the deep wheels before thinking of reducing the steering spacers.

I'd like to have a bike fitting one day to find out what I should be doing. Is it a different geometry I need, or is it my technique and/or fitness.

Maximilian

by Maximilian

Nickldn wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:39 pm
Uhh..?

The distance between the saddle and the ground, and therefore whether you can put your feed on the group is completely irrelevant in bike fitting terms and useless in terms of setting saddle height.

Saddle height is measured from the centre of the cranks to the top of the saddle along the seat tube. This distance (saddle height) would always be the same across all bikes one rides.

The distance between the saddle and the ground varies depending on frame geometry, in particular bottom bracket height. The saddle height of two bikes can be identical but the distance between the saddle and ground several centimetres different because of different bottom bracket drop.

Looking at how you had the saddle set at an angle and your comments it seems to me that your saddle is too high. As others have said you're trying to shorten the reach with a saddle set very far forwards and a short stem. The front end is very high too. A lower saddle height (if appropriate) would be more comfortable and allow you to lower the front end as the saddle to bar drop would be reduced.

I'm not intending to be offish with my comments but I'd really suggest having a professional bike fit. Your contact points are all over the place and contradictory to your comments on frame sizing. From your username I assume you live in London. There are many shops around who are very good and will be very helpful - Sigma Sports, Bicycle (Richmond), Pearson (East Sheen), Condor (Grays Inn Road) and many more. For £300 odd it's well worth it, not least because lower your saddle may require cutting the seat mast.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

It's always good to get feedback, besides I wasn't clear enough in my previous post about my seat height.

Seat height was set carefully, because I had to take the bike to a shop to get the ISP cut, sadly its not just a matter of moving the seat post up and down. It was set by the straight leg at the knee with heel on the pedal and with crank at 6 o'clock method.

Generally I'm happy with the seat height and now need to get the seat distance to the bars set by reference to KOPS (crank at 3 o'clock, knee above pedal spindle).

As I mentioned before, I recon that I need to get used to the bike and get more flexible. Ideally I'd like my forearms more parallel to the ground when I'm in the drops, that would allow the stack to be lowered.

This will take time though and maybe a bike fitting would provide some direction as to what I need to do.
Last edited by Nickldn on Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattr

by mattr

Have you seen a proper fitter?
One who has actually updated their qualification/training in the last 10 years?

filip00

by filip00

That saddle-bar position looks horrendous, I'm sorry to comment that. My intention is not to be mean, but maybe you should reconsider your bike choice. Having such an enormous stack means you're definitely not flexible enough to ride such a bike, and the saddle position just puts you in a more uncomfortable position, unsustainable for rides longer than half hour - I presume you are suffering while riding in such a position.

I also read you're getting used to it, experimenting etc - but the fact that you have a 90mm stem just tells me that you obviously took a frame that's too large for you, or simply has the geometry with far too long top tube for your flexibility and/or body proportions. I'd suggest getting a fitting (like mattr above mentioned), and look into a different frameset geometry, as this probably isn't the frameset for you.

crustyshane

by crustyshane

My concern with trying to get used to something that may not be a proper setup is that this setup may cause an injury. I would rather get used to a setup that is correct and know that a serious injury is being avoided.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

deepakvrao

by deepakvrao

1415chris wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:44 pm
Sugru is your friend

How the heck did you make that so neat. Every time I use Sugru for anything, it looks like someting from hell.

by Weenie