How to get rid of hole in Giant Propel top tube insert with SRAM Etap

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Nickldn

by Nickldn

Hi,

Over the winter I've built myself a Giant Propel SL0 with SRAM Etap, Easton EC90 aero wheels, Zipp aero bars (no bar tape yet), Vittoria Corsa tubs and Swisstop rim brakes. Took a while and this morning was my first proper ride. It's light, so light, I'm scared the wind will pick it up!!

The one niggle I have is that Giant doesn't seem to make a top tube insert for SRAM Etap. I'm using the insert designed for Di2, so it's got a hole in it to pass the wire through. Etap doesn't need wiring of course, so I'm left with an unsightly hole in the top tube! See photo.

Has anyone else had this Giant problem? I'd appreciate any advice anyone has to make my top tube hole free!

Thank you,

Nick
Attachments
IMG_20190330_153534.jpg

by Weenie

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Looks good! I was hoping someone would sell a manufactured part, but if there isn't anything available then Sugru it will be.

frommel

by frommel

I hope that sticker is removable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nickldn

by Nickldn

I have found an easier solution. A bit of electrical tape stuck to the underside of the insert and secured with blutac.

Blocks the hole and looks acceptably clean.

It will have to do until Giant come up with a factory solution.
Attachments
IMG_20190407_122610.jpg

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

Pretty please remove that ugly warning sticker…

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Done!

Does look much better and I didn't feel any safer riding with the sticker on anyway.
Attachments
IMG_20190407_171411.jpg
IMG_20190407_105137.jpg

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Hmm. So you're using full stack and still require a saddle position that hurts the eyes?

I guess it's done now, but did you not consider that maybe its the wrong size bike? :shock:

Nickldn

by Nickldn

It's definitely on the larger side for me, I'm between sizes in the Propel, but didn't like the XS frame, it felt too small.

I'm gonna adjust the seat and bar height as I get used to it. This really is early days for fit.

mrtkcmz

by mrtkcmz

Hi, I am using the same setup, sram etap with zipp sl70 aero bars. I have a question too. does anyone try to guide the rear brake cables inside that hole on the top tube. do you think we can get any aero advantage? a custom cable entrance maybe?

boilerup

by boilerup

Just slam the stem and get used to it haha #probikefit

Nickldn

by Nickldn

I need to get more flexible before I do that! By the time summer is over I want to halve the stack height. :mrgreen:

AJS914

by AJS914

With the saddle sloping downward, you don't feel like you are constantly sliding forward?

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Nickldn wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:41 pm
It's definitely on the larger side for me,
Um. In form or not, needing to use all the spacers on a too big bike is not a good sign that it's the right bike.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Must admit the sloping seat is an experiment at this stage. Not sure it's any better yet.

I move around on my seat quite a lot, when I move forward it's sometimes to get on the drops, so it's nice to get a change in height. This is a short saddle as well (Specialized Power), it's totally different than other bike seats, I've only had maybe 2 hours riding on it, so still getting used to it. Don't slide down though.

by Weenie