Damaged helmet replacement

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
wilwil

by wilwil

Should a helmet be replaced with a small dent above the left temple area? The dent is a result of a crash; my head hit the road but not hard enough to crack the POC Octal helmet.

kgt

by kgt

Yes, according to all manufactirers you should replace it ASAP.

by Weenie

3Pio

by 3Pio

wilwil wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:08 am
Should a helmet be replaced with a small dent above the left temple area? The dent is a result of a crash; my head hit the road but not hard enough to crack the POC Octal helmet.

Had similar damage on helmet, Giro Synthe in my case.. And i replaced it with brand new.. On new on, i got like about 40-50% discount with Giro Crash Replacament Policy.. So check if POC have similar discount, but even if they dont, replace helmet with new one...

moyboy

by moyboy

Yes they are not built like a ski or hockey helmet for repetitive hits

AJS914

by AJS914

If it were my helmet I'd inspect it and probably use it. You were there and you know how hard you hit. Use your own best judgement. I wouldn't think a small dent means that your helmet is now completely unsafe.

by Weenie

dricked

by dricked

I can’t believe people would reuse a helmet after an impact or one with ANY visible damage. It’s a $350 helmet, scrap it and be sure that your new helmet is going to protect you in the event of another incident. It’s a consumable that’s meant to save your life. If you can’t afford to throw out a $350 helmet, don’t buy a $350 helmet.